obdii code P0037

protojason

Contributor
:
1999 Miata, emerald green mica
Got my first CEL. Had it read at an autozone and they said it was obd ii code P0037 ( bank one, sensor 2, heater circuit low)

My search here revealed this refers to the rear O2 sensor on our cars (just after the catalytic convertor i believe).

Autozone quoted about 85bucks for the price of a replacement...my question, to those who may have replaced theirs before is,

does that seem like a legitamate price?

I've done the disconnect the negative battery terminal/pump brakes to reset the ecu trick.....(cel came back on again).

Is it possible to try to just clean the sensor rather than replace? If so, any suggestions on what to use?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

Jason

Bump...

Anyone ever purchased/installed a new O2 sensor for their 3rd gen protege? Cost?

Was it due to the same code? (p0037)?

Was it difficult to install/change?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom base on your experiences in the matter.

--jason

85 sounds about right. it most likely the bosch type. there are cheaper ones i think but you get what you pay for

The smart thing to do would be to remove the battery cable for 10 mins to clear the code to see if it even comes back. If and when it does just get a new O2 I guess. Ive never had an O2 go bad.

P0037 for 2002 Miata

I understand there is a front and rear O2 sensor for the miata. Do you know which sensor the P0037 code indicates?

The price seems legit, and +1 on clearing the code to see if it comes back. I believe the sensor can also be removed and cleaned with Carb cleaner, so that's probably worth a shot as well. Most people recommend OEM Mazda O2 sensors, though they are a little more expensive, I believe they are the best. Removal and installation is as simple as removing a spark plug. Just find the sensor and use a wrench to unscrew it. Good luck!

Back