Cold Engine Start?

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
When I first start my car I found this procedure useful. I first turn the key to the first position for ~ 1 second to let the fuel pressure build up. I lightly hold the accelerator peddle down to about were a fast idle would be and simultaneously start the engine. When the engine just starts I remove the gas peddle pressure quickly and the idle immediately idiles at ~ 1200 rpm. If I just get in a start the engine without my procedure the engine idles at ~2200 before coming down. I've had several late model cars with FI and one with a turbo and non has exhibited the extra fast idle the my CX7 did. Several others have expressed concern over the hi start idle and it probably does no harm but, do we really need 2000 to 2200 rpm-I think not. Ed

The fast idle is normal, it allows the CX-7 to warm up without any problems, when you touch the accelerator this process is stopped. I think it needs it because our 2.0T A4 takes SO long to warm up, the CX-7 is done in thirty seconds.

I believe it has to do with emissions. The catalytic converter needs to be warm (or even hot) to work, so a high idle warms the cat faster.

Plus as soon as you shift it into gear the RPMs drop.

When I first start my car I found this procedure useful. I first turn the key to the first position for ~ 1 second to let the fuel pressure build up. I lightly hold the accelerator peddle down to about were a fast idle would be and simultaneously start the engine. When the engine just starts I remove the gas peddle pressure quickly and the idle immediately idiles at ~ 1200 rpm. If I just get in a start the engine without my procedure the engine idles at ~2200 before coming down. I've had several late model cars with FI and one with a turbo and non has exhibited the extra fast idle the my CX7 did. Several others have expressed concern over the hi start idle and it probably does no harm but, do we really need 2000 to 2200 rpm-I think not. Ed

Ur gonna ruin ur Idle speed sensor by doing this. A Fuel Injected car does not have to be turned or shouldn't be turned on while ur foot is on the accel.

Bad Side effects of what ur doing would be: vibrations when the car is in gear and stopped at a light or something (cuz u confused the idle timing, and it'll take the computer some time to relearn). The car shouldnt feel like its running or vibrating when stopped in gear.

Absolutely no vibration or other issues after starting. Method only drops idle speed quicker from 2200 to 1200. Have used this method on my last three vehicles which were sold at 124,000 to 176,000 miles without any issues or sensor replacements.

High idle helps the cat. warm up faster. This is a common "feature" in most any modern vehicle, especially those that meet more stringent emissions ratings.

Back