How To: Install a MX-6 rear strut tower bar in your Protege sedan

I just did the install in my wagon (I know, it's a wagon but the idea remains the same). People seem to forget that the bar has a right threaded rod on one end and a left threaded rod on the other. Yes, they are threaded in opposite directions for a reason. You install the brackets, install the bar loose and then you turn the bar and it pushes the mounting points out further or closer together. In essence, it tightens or loosens the bar. Then you tighten down the locknuts. If i'm going to haul stuff i just grab the bar and rotate it so it is loose and remove it. All this talk of quick releases is stupid.

I cracked mine down so such that i could tell there was a hint at a bow in the bar, meaning it was pushing against the outside. I backed it off a touch as this is an ebay bar and left it at that. I don't expect anything from it but it's nice to look at and cost me $10.
2056679_41_full.jpg

lets see closer shots of holes you did for the bar install!

i gots a question... once you pop out those little black rivits they break so where can you get more? or can you?

The car feels good with it, but we are fairly stiff stock. Right now I do not have the rear sway on but the car still feels tight back there. It is probably not a huge difference, but with how cheap you can get those strut bars, it certainly doesn't hurt.

Great upgrade, and very easy to do.

Attachments

• 1006091811.jpg
    1006091811.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 298
  • 1006091811a.jpg
    1006091811a.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 272
  • 1006091812.jpg
    1006091812.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 280
Salsa you should do this, might give you an "edge" in auto-x , I'll install one as soon as i get it

It certainly does not hurt the performance. I removed my rear sway some time back and I didn't even really notice it was gone. I think it is due to this bar being installed.

Hmm, ever since I removed my rear dash... it squeaks when its moist outside!!! x..x How do i change this lol, i cant handle this squeaking haha .

Ah! It probably is.
Got new springs but didnt swap the shocks out, was waiting to buy quality performance ones..
thank you :D

Back