How To: Install a MX-6 rear strut tower bar in your Protege sedan

Bought it, did it, fit like a glove, hardest part is getting holes in side panels as small as possible in the right spot without having a lot of extra space left open around the mounts for the bar. Did the 25.00 one off ebay.

^You have a wagon though. Looking for people's experience with the sedan in terms of handling difference (assuming there is any...

^You have a wagon though. Looking for people's experience with the sedan in terms of handling difference (assuming there is any...

My car rotates very easily, the rear end does feel stiffer. I figure for what you pay for one, the small amount of work it takes and the near zero space it actually takes up. it's worth it

^Well mine wasn't THAT cheap (100$ shipped from Rogue), I guess his was more expensive for some reason, or maybe it's because he added the time it took him to modify it (since you can get them for dirt cheap on eBay). The thing is solid as a rock though...

^Well mine wasn't THAT cheap (100$ shipped from Rogue), I guess his was more expensive for some reason, or maybe it's because he added the time it took him to modify it (since you can get them for dirt cheap on eBay). The thing is solid as a rock though...

yeah, you coulda got the same thing for cheaper, mine is exactly like his and I believe his was already ready to install in a P5, but all that is needed for that is some washers really. Just take your time installing it. Let me know if you need any questions answered.

yeah, you coulda got the same thing for cheaper, mine is exactly like his and I believe his was already ready to install in a P5, but all that is needed for that is some washers really. Just take your time installing it. Let me know if you need any questions answered.

What washers do I need? And do you have the picture that is missing in step7?

What washers do I need? And do you have the picture that is missing in step7?

IDK, quarter size i believe three for each or something like that. There is a write up in How To: for installing on a P5. This one is specifically for the sedan.

Awsome How to. Just purchased a brace yesterday. E-mailed me that it is on a 2 to 3 week back order!!!! (bang)!!!!!

O well i cant wait to install it. Then come the sway bars.

Awsome How to. Just purchased a brace yesterday. E-mailed me that it is on a 2 to 3 week back order!!!! (bang)!!!!!

O well i cant wait to install it. Then come the sway bars.

good luck mate, PM me if you have any questions. Thanks

I just did the install in my wagon (I know, it's a wagon but the idea remains the same). People seem to forget that the bar has a right threaded rod on one end and a left threaded rod on the other. Yes, they are threaded in opposite directions for a reason. You install the brackets, install the bar loose and then you turn the bar and it pushes the mounting points out further or closer together. In essence, it tightens or loosens the bar. Then you tighten down the locknuts. If i'm going to haul stuff i just grab the bar and rotate it so it is loose and remove it. All this talk of quick releases is stupid.

I cracked mine down so such that i could tell there was a hint at a bow in the bar, meaning it was pushing against the outside. I backed it off a touch as this is an ebay bar and left it at that. I don't expect anything from it but it's nice to look at and cost me $10.
2056679_41_full.jpg

Last edited:
I just did the install in my wagon (I know, it's a wagon but the idea remains the same). People seem to forget that the bar has a right threaded rod on one end and a left threaded rod on the other. Yes, they are threaded in opposite directions for a reason. You install the brackets, install the bar loose and then you turn the bar and it pushes the mounting points out further or closer together. In essence, it tightens or loosens the bar. Then you tighten down the locknuts. If i'm going to haul stuff i just grab the bar and rotate it so it is loose and remove it. All this talk of quick releases is stupid.

I cracked mine down so such that i could tell there was a hint at a bow in the bar, meaning it was pushing against the outside. I backed it off a touch as this is an ebay bar and left it at that. I don't expect anything from it but it's nice to look at and cost me $10.
2056679_41_full.jpg

nice clean install too.

that's the same one that i have, it's not installed yet though

I got my rear strut bar today. Same ebay one as everyone else probably has. Later in september I will be putting it on..just got to wait till my suspension comes in so I can do both at the same time. I also bought the 1-1/2 inch drill like was recommended.

Cant wait to see the improvement this makes with the new MSP suspension.

Ok so today I finally got the rear strut bar in. It feels like the rear end is alot stiffer..but maybe its all in my head.

Back