How To: Install a MX-6 rear strut tower bar in your Protege sedan

Velocifero

Wham Bam thank you Ma'am
:
VRM MS6, Sunlight Silver MSP
Installing a MX-6 rear strut tower bar in your Protg sedan.​

This will not require you to remove your rear sub deck if you have an MSP or another sedan with the installed MSP sub deck.

What youll need, or at least what I used:
A-a hammer and a tap or punch, used to make marks
B-a drill and a hole saw and I ended up needing a file, not pictured (I used 1 whole saw and had to file it out just a little, I think 1 would be perfect) NOTE: make sure you can use this saw on metal, they are labeled metal or wood only, some both, but make sure yours is good for metal.
C-rear strut tower bar, in my case, Megan Racing (was free)
D-strut perch mounting brackets included with the strut bar, and hardware to attach to bar.

supplies.JPG

How I did it:

1. Disassemble and familiarize yourself with the rear deck.

1Rearstrutbarinstall%20008.jpg

2. Remove rear struts, I did this while I was adjusting some aspects of the suspension anyways so it was already done in my case. NOTE: I leave the seatbelts where they are in the car, but you can remove them for easier access to the strut bolts, just be careful with them, look up how to remove them properly. They arent necessary to remove.

2Rearstrutbarinstall%20010.JPG

3. Drop the brackets down in the wells to see where you are gonna be removing material, align the holes the best you can and mark the center of the bar process. NOTE: the bracket obviously isnt going to sit flat, do your best to aerially align the holes to see where the process is going to be traveling through the well wall, mark it.

3Rearstrutbarinstall%20014.JPG

4Rearstrutbarinstall%20015.JPG

5Rearstrutbarinstall%20016.JPG

4. Use the tap to mark your alignment marks. I marked it from the inside of the well, then went inside the trunk to mark the inside. This is tricky because the mark inside the trunk isnt the same place as the mark in the well, you have to measure down inside the well to determine how far down the mark is going to go inside the trunk. Just take your time and look at it logically. In the picture, the green circle is the reverse of the mark from the inside of the well and the red circle is the tapped mark inside the trunk. This tap is also gonna function as my pilot for the drill bit. Nice huh?

6Rearstrutbarinstall%20017.JPG

5. Next use the drill and drill away. Again, I used a 1 hole saw and it was just a bit too small, use just substitute a 1 saw and you should be golden. I ended up having to file some of the top of my holes just a little to get it to fit properly, but in the end its fine, nothing is contacting each other so I shouldnt experience any knocking or other sounds from them. If I do later or you do, then just shave a little more outta the holes.

7Rearstrutbarinstall%20018.JPG

6. Drop the bracket back in the hole and align it all up, again, check to see if you are making contact anywhere and make adjustments as needed.

8Rearstrutbarinstall%20019.JPG

7. Bolt in the rear struts, bolting in brackets in the process.

IMAGE is coming, I forgot to download it and the camera just died. You get the point though I hope.

8. Bolt in strut bar with the hardware and make sure it is tightened down. Picture shows finished install. from the drivers side, from the passengers side and from the rear. You can see that I did not have to remove the sub deck.

9Rearstrutbarinstall%20024.JPG

Scott, is it a certain year's MX-6 strut tower bar or will any do?

wow, nice job

the only thing to make me hesitate is the cutting a big frickin' hole in my car

wow, nice job

the only thing to make me hesitate is the cutting a big frickin' hole in my car

They aren't that big! I looked at the metal pretty carefully before hand and I can't see that the area I cut has too much structural integrity for the deck. And if i weakened it any it is made up and more with the addition of the support bar. You can't see the holes under normal circumstances either.

Scott, is it a certain year's MX-6 strut tower bar or will any do?

how many generations were there? two i think? at any rate it is the most recent body style, the real rounded body, like 90-95 or something, i really don't know the years on that car. Go to ebay and type in MX-6 rear strut bar and you'll see them. They are cheap as hell too! you can get them for under $10 even, plus shipping.

lol, i know, i just bought one :) $6.99 + 15.99 shipping = total $22.98

lol anyways.... you notice any real difference as far as body twist and such?

lol anyways.... you notice any real difference as far as body twist and such?

I just started driving the car today, see the list of s*** I did in the "...MSP today..." thread. And the alignment is horrible at the moment since I redid my suspension so no I haven't really hit any turns yet and anything I did feel today that seemed different was probably my head and it's been over two weeks since I drove it last.

Im also thinking that for most (unless are modding the suspension otherwise) do not need to pull the enter strut assembly. Just keep the ass end of the car on the ground and take off the nuts you need to install.

Im also thinking that for most (unless are modding the suspension otherwise) do not need to pull the enter strut assembly. Just keep the ass end of the car on the ground and take off the nuts you need to install.

you can do it like that, but I wanted to make sure I didn't slip the drill too far and nail that medial stud on the perch. Plus I havent found an answer to putting it on with it loaded or unloaded, obviously I put it on unloaded. Anybody know what would be best there?

seriously how long does it take to remove the strut, i do both sides in about 10 minutes.

^^ i have to take mine out anyway cause i need to put in the rear springs so we can put in the strut bar at the same time, i think it would be better with out them anyway cause then the car isn't under stress

^^ i have to take mine out anyway cause i need to put in the rear springs so we can put in the strut bar at the same time, i think it would be better with out them anyway cause then the car isn't under stress

unloaded (wink)

i would think load would be the best idea here...it reduces both the flex toward the outside and inside...and i am definatly doing this after i buildsome funds back up after petit

^^^^^^^^^^Hey man, lemme take those corksport mm inserts you just scored off your hands, LOL. :D

Back