Get Winter Tires where no snow but cold?

ktan91

I live around Atlanta, GA where it hardly snows but when it does, the roads just get slushy at most. Usually it just melts right when touching the pavement.
I read that summer tires do not do well on cold roads and they turn pretty much plastic. Should I get winter tires or is it not worth it?
What tempertaures should I change from summer to winter and vice versa.. I was thinking 50+- F
(I plan on getting new wheels anyways.. and stick the winters on the stock and summer on gunmetal Volks)

Try looking at tirerack.com and do some research there for a decent set. The cut-off temp is around 45 where the summer rubber starts to lose it's effectiveness. Based on where you're located, I'd almost just try it out with the stock rubber first.

I wouldn't worry about that if I were you. If you do get the ocasional ice storm the whole city shuts down anyway. Take marta!

in your location i'd say stock ones are fine, but if it ever gets real cold with no snow be careful cuz my tires get LOOSE when its cold here!

Use the summers all year. Just don't count on full performance in the cold. Driving will create enough heat for reasonable stickiness even in winter. If it snows don't go out in your car, some yahoo will smash into it for sure. Those people down there just can't drive in snow.

Yeah. I'd stick with the summer performance tires. If you really wanted to be on the safe side though - maybe, just maybe invest in a set of really good performance oriented all-seasons, like Eagle F1 AS or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

But the summer tire will always have the better rubber compound in the summer.

thanks for the input..
yeah, I know people don't here can't drive in the winters.... I don't get why.. they think they can still go 60 in a 45 zone when you can't see s*** past a corner..... (CAR!!! BRAKE! CRASH!)

i always wondered.. why in asia people have little room to drive, but their cars have hardly any scratches.. Then here people have these HUGE lanes and so many cars have dings dents etc...

Andrew keep in mind even without snow your stock tires will not work well at all in the cold. They need to get to a certain temp to be able to "stick" and the cold will prohibit that. Youll be riding on blocks of hard rubber with no grip...
A set of all season tires would be your easiest compromise. Or a set of dedicated winter wheels/tires....

I can verify the "blocks of hard rubber" statement. I got caught in a late storm last winter with the stock tires on. Needless to say I am putting snows on for two reasons: cold and snow. However I live in Mass. I really don't think you have anything to worry about in Georgia. Just keep in mind if the temperature drops below freezing you shouldn't be driving like a maniac and if there is snow/slush on the ground test your brakes and leave plenty of space between you and the car in front of you.

Hey I m from GA as well

I 'm getting the Kuhmo ASX all season tires again :) I think they are perfect for this area and time. I have them currently and drove them during summer and they are to soft for summer but perfect this coming season + they have a 30k mile warranty ( pro rated!) I got 20K on them and they are about done, again they where driven during the hot summer :/ go figure. I 'm still getting a 40$ credit per tire back so it's all good :). Tirerack rated them as top notch especially for the money.

Back