Belt Squeal? Or from something else?

Man, the night before I was gonna take it into the shop to get the belt fixed it broke! It is now fixed and the car runs great. Mazda factory belts for the win!

Mazda belt squeaks, squeals, and screeches

Some others have hit the solution, here. Go to Mazda and insist on Mazda brand belts. They differ significantly from the aftermarket stuff, which can NOT be adjusted properly! They will solve your noise problems!

Belt??

Mazda belt solved the problem.

Note to self - USE FACTORY BELTS ALWAYS.....

The GY is going in the trash.

Mazda 626 2000. Mine started doing the same thing you are describing about a month ago. Loudest squeal in the world! Sounds like its coming out of the power steering. Does not sounds like a belt could make that much noise. I took it in and they said I needed to replace the belt (it had never been replaced and has 125k miles), so I agreed and they did. It stopped for about a week, now does it every morning or everytime my car sits for more than about 2-5 hours. It only last for about 10 seconds though, then stops completely. I am assuming it was a mazda belt on originally and after market now, but is making the same noise with both belts? I guess I need to try a Mazda belt though...I am out of solutions.

Mazda 626 2000. Mine started doing the same thing you are describing about a month ago. Loudest squeal in the world! Sounds like its coming out of the power steering. Does not sounds like a belt could make that much noise. I took it in and they said I needed to replace the belt (it had never been replaced and has 125k miles), so I agreed and they did. It stopped for about a week, now does it every morning or everytime my car sits for more than about 2-5 hours. It only last for about 10 seconds though, then stops completely. I am assuming it was a mazda belt on originally and after market now, but is making the same noise with both belts? I guess I need to try a Mazda belt though...I am out of solutions.

I have a same problem. Lots of time in a cold start and low RPM, engine makes a loud squicky noise. Sometime it last for 10 second or some time it last for about until I change the gear. Noise always goes away after a while. One time I had enough time to check into the engine. What I saw is that belt runs on the crankpulley and water pump pulley was touching the other belt pulley. Almost looks like either one of the belt was shifted sideways and touching each other. Before I do further investigation noise went away so I could not able to see what exactly was happening. I have not change the timing belt and water pump yet and may be water pump pulley might going bad cause to side shift and then belt touch the pulley of other belt !!!! just the guess.

If it happen next time I will investigate further. So if anybody has this problem please try to see in the area I have explained. This might help us tackle the problem. My brother in law is having a same problem with 2000 protege with smaller engine then our Protege5. Hope one day we will find the problem.

"What I saw is that belt runs on the crankpulley and water pump pulley was touching the other belt pulley"

My '02 DX had this happen. Near the useful end of the belts life, the alt belt had "jumped" one groove outward and was rubbing the other belt, producing a low moan at times. Next thing I know I'm changing both belts on the side of the road, 20 miles from BF Egypt, without removing the CC bracket or strut brace. My left arm looked like hamburger when I was done. DOH!

"What I saw is that belt runs on the crankpulley and water pump pulley was touching the other belt pulley"

My '02 DX had this happen. Near the useful end of the belts life, the alt belt had "jumped" one groove outward and was rubbing the other belt, producing a low moan at times. Next thing I know I'm changing both belts on the side of the road, 20 miles from BF Egypt, without removing the CC bracket or strut brace. My left arm looked like hamburger when I was done. DOH!

My protege's both belt is still fit fine inside the pulley. Noise only happen sometime. Whenever there is no noise everything is working fine. Only time I have seen belt touching when there was a noise one time. Everytime else I did not had a chance to investigate further since by the time I looks under the hood noise is already being gone.

Same Problem

Sorry to revive this thread, im having the same exact problem. I have an 06 mazda 3 , 64 Thousand K Km's. The dealer replaced the tensioner, and still hasnt solved the problem.

Please check my youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hznf8IMhFnA

Let me know if this is the same sound that you had. I really need your opinion. I noticed if i spray wd40 on it, the sound is gone...

I had the same squeal on start up when my 03 p5 was cold as well. I only had 50,000km and I decided to change the serpentine belt and the power steering belt and the squeal went away for good. My belt looked brand new but it still needed changing so before all of you go out and spend so much changing pulleys and bearings just change the belts. The oem belts costs me $27 from my local mazda dealer and took me 30 mins to install very very easy. The oem belts are made by goodyear i believe.

Mazda is charging me 70 bucks for both serpentine and ac belts, and labor is free cuz i know the guy. Hopefully this fixes it, otherwise. IUNNNO!

Me and my friend's protege both have the same problem. Mine mostly goes when it's really humid as well, but usually cold starts during winter do that to our cars it seems. I saw another guy in a protege the other day squealing like heck. My friend says that revving the engine high gets rid of it for him.

Sorry to revive this thread, im having the same exact problem. I have an 06 mazda 3 , 64 Thousand K Km's. The dealer replaced the tensioner, and still hasnt solved the problem.

Please check my youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hznf8IMhFnA

Let me know if this is the same sound that you had. I really need your opinion. I noticed if i spray wd40 on it, the sound is gone...

i have the same noise on my 02 p5....im confused and a student who cant afford to take it into mazda for them to take my money and not fix the problem....

My wifes car just started doing it at about 90k.

I'm going to try to tighten the belt a bit to see if it helps. Its annoying.

Seems like it could be the PS pulley but not sure. I'm going to try the Mazda Belts.

Now I have 2 newer belts, I just put a new one on when I did the timing belt.

Back