Changing ABS Sensor

hranko

Anybody here have a how-to or advice on best way to change the rear ABS speed sensor on a P5? Getting it off of the brake assembly is simple enough, but I'm not sure what the best way to disconnect the wiring from the body harness is. I'd prefer not to tear apart any more of my interior than absolutely necessary.

TIA

Sorry I can't answer your question ......but I was wondering how did you determine which sensor was bad and how much was it? I have the ABS&Brake light stuck on which is apparently caused by a bad speed sensor. thnx

This thread is almost 2 years old.
I am having the same problem.
ABS and Brake light comes on intermittently.
How does one determine which sensor is faulty?

Well, since no one replied to my various posts on how to determine which wheel sensor is bad. I had to dive in blind and figure it out. And I did... this is what happened:

I have a 2003 Protege 5 hatchback with auto trans and 2 litre engine.
The ABS and Brake light came on and stayed on.
I checked the fluid, and the brakes were working fine.
After some research I figured it was a wheel sensor.
I never worked on one, or even seen one in my life, so this was going to be fun.
The front wheel sensors are located on the rear of the hubs, have 2 wires that go up through the wheel well and into the engine bay.
The connectors are at each corner of the engine bay beside the firewall.
Safely jack up the front of the car.
Put the shifter into neutral so the wheels can spin freely.
Unplug the connector for one of the sensors. We want to test the connector that goes to the sensor !!! We are checking for bad sensors.
There should only be 2 wires on the connector.
You will need a multimeter for this.
The sensors are nothing more than a long wire coiled at the end. There should be no shorts to ground.
Verify this by metering the resistance of each wire to chassis ground. There should be NO SHORTS.
Now, meter the resistance between the 2 wires on the connector. You should read approximately 1400 ohms (1.4 k-ohms).
This should tell you that the sensor itself is fine. But we still don't know if it works. The sensor is placed close to a ring gear and will send pulses out as one of the teeth on the gear passes over the sensor. You can actually see this gear, on the rear hubs anyway.
Ok, to test if all is working, keep the meter attached to the sensor connector and set the meter to AC millivolts. [SEE WARNING BELOW] Spin the tire and you should get around 300 millivolts. Of course you will get a higher or lower reading if you spin the wheel faster or slower.
If you get all these readings, then your sensor is operating correctly and all is well with that one.
Plug your connector back together and go do the other side.
The rear sensors are the same, except it is more difficult to get to the connectors. They are located on the side walls behind the back seats and you will have to remove all the plastic panels in your trunk to gain access to them.
My 2 front ones checked out fine and now I was working on my rear drivers side sensor. When I metered the 2 wires, I was expecting 1.4kohms... I got zero. When I spun the wheel, I got no AC voltage.
The rear sensor has 1 bolt holding it onto the hub. I removed the bolt, but the sensor was still stuck tight inside. I put some oil on it and took a pair of vise grips to the metal bracket, NOT the plastic part of the sensor, and slowly twisted it back and forth until it came out. The end of the sensor was full of crap and rust. I took a little wire brush and gently cleaned it until it was shiny and clean. Before putting it back in the hub, I metered it and it showed 1.4kohm again. I suspected that the contamination on it was shorting it to ground. I put the sensor back onto the hub and bolted it down. I spun the wheel and I got 300 millivolts AC.
I plugged the connector back together, backed it out of the garage and the ABS and Brake lights immediately went out. I installed all the plastic panels in the trunk and the car is functioning normally again.
I hope it works as well for you as it did for me.

Warning: Watch your fingers when you spin the tire. Do it by the rubber, not the rim. Someone is going to get their fingers jammed between the spoke of the rim and the brake caliper. That will probably hurt a lot and I will get the blame for it. Do it safely.

Last edited:
Did it look like metal filings on the head of the sensor? By break light and ABS light has been on for a while now. I was changing a rotor on my rear driver side and noticed that the sessor had a bunch of crap on it. I gave it a quick clean but could do a better job. DO you think it was just this crap making it not work?

Did it look like metal filings on the head of the sensor? By break light and ABS light has been on for a while now. I was changing a rotor on my rear driver side and noticed that the sessor had a bunch of crap on it. I gave it a quick clean but could do a better job. DO you think it was just this crap making it not work?

I didn't notice any metal filings on my sensor.
It was caked with a layer of normal rust colored crap. Like any exposed metal to the elements.
When I brushed it off, it was dry and came off easily, exposing the normal metal below.
I definitely think it was the crap on it that made it not function.
I haven't had my light come on since I cleaned it.

I need to change the left rear(drivers) on my P5. What all needs to come loose? All the trunk panels? I'm confused as to how it disconnects. Where inside the car?

on the sedan i had to pull the plastic panels between the seat and the trunk. so fold the rear seat down. undo the clips that hold the plastic panels.

the sedan has a plastic cover over the speakers and 3rd brake light. that comes off but i assume the protege5 doesn't have that.

pull up and towards you, the rear door sills. these are held by clips and might require some effort to pull. this will expose the seam, pull the plastic cover until you can see the wheel well. i have small hands and still got some flesh sliced off while trying to reach into the chasm

you might have to remove the seat if you dont have enough clearance. there are some tutorials for the ABS sensor for the protege5 on the forum.

1270 ohms OK??

Hey all, I hate to reserect an old thread but I gotta figure out what to do. I have the same problem and I ordered a new right rear sensor to fix it (OEM, new).
My old sensor was dead (no Ohms reading) and ABS codes were 43, 47, 13.

The new sensor I ordered, Is testing at 1270 ohms - just under 1.3 kilo ohm. I am not sure if I should return it (a big hassle, as it was an international eBay purchase) or if 1270 is an OK reading (rounds up to 1.3 K ohm, which is within spec)? When I connect it up to the car, the ABS light immediately goes off...and then when I start driving it throws up a new code (34). So it seems like the car is OK with the actual sensor, but I don't know if this will last if I go thru with a full install (major hassle as well, bolts all rusted and need a mechanical to do it.)

What are your guys' opinion... keep the sensor I ordered at 1270 ohms or order another one and hope it tests better? I gotta decide by Friday or else they won't accept the return.

I think you're fine... That resistance reading is close enough.

You will throw that code (34) of you drive your car without the sensor installed... It's getting no signal from the right rear sensor...

WIth the old (broken) sensor installed I was getting: 43, 47, 13.

With the new one connected but not installed, I get: 47, 34.

I believe 34 is the one that pops up when you have a sensor that's not connected and installed properly (ie it's not getting readings from the tone ring.) right?

At any rate, I think I'll take the advance to go ahead and install. I appreciate info very much. The hard part will be getting the bolts off, I am expecting the mechanic to refuse the job.

Thanks for the advice, and it's working good. Got the sensor put in for $60. Total repair was $100 including the part. Bolts had to be hammered out, took 45 minutes.

Much appreciated for the encouragement to go ahead, saved me a lot of hassle and now I'm ready for the winter!

Back