Power steering belt install

AEMMAZDA5

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
I know this is going to sound dumb, but would you guys know the easiest way to install a new power steering belt on an '02 P5? I usually have my mechanic do it, but I'm pressed for time and need it done asap. Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks again.

Its rather easy, there are only 2 blots(pic one) you need to loosen and then the adjustment one(pic 2) and then tighten the other 2 back up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pics from the UDP Install thread.

If you have questions just ask:)

Thanks a million. This is exactly what I was looking for! :)

No prob. Its just those 3 bolts, if you touch any more than 3 bolts(and of course the belt) your doing too much work lol. If your reading the how to just ignore everything about the UDP and the altinator belt. Let me know if ya need anything else, because im heading to sleep in like 3 mins lol.

No prob. Its just those 3 bolts, if you touch any more than 3 bolts(and of course the belt) your doing too much work lol. If your reading the how to just ignore everything about the UDP and the altinator belt. Let me know if ya need anything else, because im heading to sleep in like 3 mins lol.

No, I should be alright. Thanks a lot though. That really helped a lot. I printed the pictures off so I have some kind of reference. :p I'll let you know if I run into any problems. :)

Everything went alright I take it? Its so much easier to do things yourself, and you save money:)

Everything went alright I take it? Its so much easier to do things yourself, and you save money:)

I actually just put it in about an hour ago. And it worked great! Except now I found out that that's not was sqeaking. :( I thought that that belt was what was making kind of a screeching noise, but after I got the belt on the screeching is still there. I think it might be either the alternator or maybe just the pulley on the alternator..

I actually just put it in about an hour ago. And it worked great! Except now I found out that that's not was sqeaking. :( I thought that that belt was what was making kind of a screeching noise, but after I got the belt on the screeching is still there. I think it might be either the alternator or maybe just the pulley on the alternator..

Try tightening the Alt belt and hitting the pulley with some WD-40.

Try tightening the Alt belt and hitting the pulley with some WD-40.

I just went and bought a brand new alternator belt. I just figured that I would just replace it considering I don't know the complete history of the car. You wouldn't happen to have detailed instructions for that as well, would you? Your other ones really helped me out with the power steering belt.

Thanks again

I just went and bought a brand new alternator belt. I just figured that I would just replace it considering I don't know the complete history of the car. You wouldn't happen to have detailed instructions for that as well, would you? Your other ones really helped me out with the power steering belt.

Thanks again

Well its has pics for the Alt belt on that same thread, its a bit more dificult though because you have to get under the car to loosen the atl and then the adjustment blots are behind the atl. Same deal as last time, 3 blots and thats it. Only thing is, you have to take off the PS belt to get to the Alt belt.

Well its has pics for the Alt belt on that same thread, its a bit more dificult though because you have to get under the car to loosen the atl and then the adjustment blots are behind the atl. Same deal as last time, 3 blots and thats it. Only thing is, you have to take off the PS belt to get to the Alt belt.

Thanks again. I got it to work and now the sqeaking is gone!! :D It was a little more difficult but worth the time.

Good to know everything is well:) Worth not spening the money as well right?

Definitely worth not spending the money! It took me almost three hours to change it, just because I had no clue what I was doing, but totally worth it. I think I need to loosen up the alternator belt though. It almost feels like I sinched them up a little too tight and now when I slow down without braking, it feels almost like I'm braking. Not bad, but enough to notice, you know? That can also result in HP loss as well. :( So, I need to fix that. But other than that, it works great! Now I need to find a decent exhaust to put on her.

Here's the info to adjust the tension on your belts but it's a pain to try and reach in there to measure 10 or 11 mm while trying to guesstimate 22 lbs. of pressure.

A good trick is to reach in and twist the belt between the pulleys. You should be able to twist it at least sideways and no more than upsidedown.

Too tight will wreck your alternator bearing and too loose it will squeal constantly.

Back