Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Power steering belt install

  1. #1
    Hoping for 7 psi!! AEMMAZDA5's Avatar

    2002 Mazda Protege 5

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    31

    Power steering belt install

    I know this is going to sound dumb, but would you guys know the easiest way to install a new power steering belt on an '02 P5? I usually have my mechanic do it, but I'm pressed for time and need it done asap. Any help would be appreciated!!

    Thanks again.

  2. #2
    Banned jeg0024's Avatar

    2002 22V Protege DX

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kissimmee, FL
    Posts
    4,825
    Its rather easy, there are only 2 blots(pic one) you need to loosen and then the adjustment one(pic 2) and then tighten the other 2 back up.





    Pics from the UDP Install thread.

    If you have questions just ask

  3. #3
    Hoping for 7 psi!! AEMMAZDA5's Avatar

    2002 Mazda Protege 5

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by jeg0024 View Post
    Its rather easy, there are only 2 blots(pic one) you need to loosen and then the adjustment one(pic 2) and then tighten the other 2 back up.





    Pics from the UDP Install thread.

    If you have questions just ask
    Thanks a million. This is exactly what I was looking for!

  4. #4
    Banned jeg0024's Avatar

    2002 22V Protege DX

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kissimmee, FL
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by AEMMAZDA5 View Post
    Thanks a million. This is exactly what I was looking for!
    No prob. Its just those 3 bolts, if you touch any more than 3 bolts(and of course the belt) your doing too much work lol. If your reading the how to just ignore everything about the UDP and the altinator belt. Let me know if ya need anything else, because im heading to sleep in like 3 mins lol.

  5. #5
    Hoping for 7 psi!! AEMMAZDA5's Avatar

    2002 Mazda Protege 5

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by jeg0024 View Post
    No prob. Its just those 3 bolts, if you touch any more than 3 bolts(and of course the belt) your doing too much work lol. If your reading the how to just ignore everything about the UDP and the altinator belt. Let me know if ya need anything else, because im heading to sleep in like 3 mins lol.
    No, I should be alright. Thanks a lot though. That really helped a lot. I printed the pictures off so I have some kind of reference. :P I'll let you know if I run into any problems.

  6. #6
    Banned jeg0024's Avatar

    2002 22V Protege DX

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kissimmee, FL
    Posts
    4,825
    Sounds good And your welcome, thats what im here for!

  7. #7
    Banned jeg0024's Avatar

    2002 22V Protege DX

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kissimmee, FL
    Posts
    4,825
    Everything went alright I take it? Its so much easier to do things yourself, and you save money

  8. #8
    Hoping for 7 psi!! AEMMAZDA5's Avatar

    2002 Mazda Protege 5

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by jeg0024 View Post
    Everything went alright I take it? Its so much easier to do things yourself, and you save money
    I actually just put it in about an hour ago. And it worked great! Except now I found out that that's not was sqeaking. I thought that that belt was what was making kind of a screeching noise, but after I got the belt on the screeching is still there. I think it might be either the alternator or maybe just the pulley on the alternator..

  9. #9
    Banned jeg0024's Avatar

    2002 22V Protege DX

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kissimmee, FL
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by AEMMAZDA5 View Post
    I actually just put it in about an hour ago. And it worked great! Except now I found out that that's not was sqeaking. I thought that that belt was what was making kind of a screeching noise, but after I got the belt on the screeching is still there. I think it might be either the alternator or maybe just the pulley on the alternator..
    Try tightening the Alt belt and hitting the pulley with some WD-40.

  10. #10
    Hoping for 7 psi!! AEMMAZDA5's Avatar

    2002 Mazda Protege 5

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by jeg0024 View Post
    Try tightening the Alt belt and hitting the pulley with some WD-40.
    I just went and bought a brand new alternator belt. I just figured that I would just replace it considering I don't know the complete history of the car. You wouldn't happen to have detailed instructions for that as well, would you? Your other ones really helped me out with the power steering belt.

    Thanks again

  11. #11
    Banned jeg0024's Avatar

    2002 22V Protege DX

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kissimmee, FL
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by AEMMAZDA5 View Post
    I just went and bought a brand new alternator belt. I just figured that I would just replace it considering I don't know the complete history of the car. You wouldn't happen to have detailed instructions for that as well, would you? Your other ones really helped me out with the power steering belt.

    Thanks again
    Well its has pics for the Alt belt on that same thread, its a bit more dificult though because you have to get under the car to loosen the atl and then the adjustment blots are behind the atl. Same deal as last time, 3 blots and thats it. Only thing is, you have to take off the PS belt to get to the Alt belt.

  12. #12
    Hoping for 7 psi!! AEMMAZDA5's Avatar

    2002 Mazda Protege 5

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by jeg0024 View Post
    Well its has pics for the Alt belt on that same thread, its a bit more dificult though because you have to get under the car to loosen the atl and then the adjustment blots are behind the atl. Same deal as last time, 3 blots and thats it. Only thing is, you have to take off the PS belt to get to the Alt belt.
    Thanks again. I got it to work and now the sqeaking is gone!! It was a little more difficult but worth the time.

  13. #13
    Banned jeg0024's Avatar

    2002 22V Protege DX

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kissimmee, FL
    Posts
    4,825
    Good to know everything is well Worth not spening the money as well right?

  14. #14
    Hoping for 7 psi!! AEMMAZDA5's Avatar

    2002 Mazda Protege 5

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by jeg0024 View Post
    Good to know everything is well Worth not spening the money as well right?
    Definitely worth not spending the money! It took me almost three hours to change it, just because I had no clue what I was doing, but totally worth it. I think I need to loosen up the alternator belt though. It almost feels like I sinched them up a little too tight and now when I slow down without braking, it feels almost like I'm braking. Not bad, but enough to notice, you know? That can also result in HP loss as well. So, I need to fix that. But other than that, it works great! Now I need to find a decent exhaust to put on her.

  15. #15
    Registered Member MadOnion's Avatar

    Mazda Protege5

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Edmonton AB
    Posts
    34
    Thank you thread from 2007 saved my butt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mazda3 Base Model - Adding Power Windows and Locks
    By cbutters in forum Mazda3 Infotainment
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-10-2018, 10:10 AM
  2. Power Steering - more assistance?
    By Silo in forum Mazda6 Lounge
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-27-2007, 05:36 AM
  3. HELP: HOW To change Power Steering Fluid?
    By skilletrx in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-05-2007, 09:26 AM
  4. "center" for power steering?
    By pasadena_commut in forum Mazda Protege
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-10-2006, 06:43 PM
  5. Help with 96 Protege power steering
    By jamesdak in forum Mazda Protege
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2006, 10:25 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •