300000Km P5, Deal or no Deal?

tremonator

:
None yet
Hi everyone, I'm lookin' at buying my first car and came across a good deal on a loaded 2002 P5 ($4000 CAD) but the only thing is it has roughly 340000 kms on it (the majority being highway). I've been lookin' at getting a car for months now (which has been nothing but headaches) and this car seems to have everything I wan't, except for the mileage obviously!
So I thought maybe you mazda afficionados out there could help me out,
Is that too high of a mileage for a mazda?
If not how much more life can I expect out of it?

Thanks guys.

The motor in the P5 (FSDE) are only worth about $800 CAD with 60-80k on them. So if you decided to purchase this you could always replace the motor later.

Only if you know how to work on it yourself. 300,000k is bound to make it rather unreliable so I'd expect to have to do that sooner or later, maybe often. And if the motor hasn't been replaced you'll certainly need to replace it soon. At $4000 it could be worth it.

340000km is like 210000Mi right? that is a lot of distance on a vehicle highway or not things are going to wearing out if they havent already and im assuming that this being your first car you re in your teens and dont have a lot of disposable cash to start replacing things. personally i would stick with the mazda brand just something with less miles. something with even 150000km would be ok for a first car.

That is a lot of KM on the car. That is a lot on any vehicle, especially for the price. If you look around a little more I'm sure you can find one for a little more money that has way less distance on it. With that distance everything must be getting worn out, suspension, electrical, transmission etc.

I bet any money they did not replace things that get worn out in that time like timing belts, suspension bushnigs, struts, plug wires, tranny fluids, wheel bearings, starter, alternator, etc. They may want to sell the car because they know it needs a once over and things need to be replaced. You will be responsible to eitehr replace them or wait till they fail and then replace them after it leaves you on the side of the road.

IF you are willing to spend the money it needs to get fixed up, then do it. In that price range you should still be able to find reliable cars with less miles and just as good condition. I picked up a '91 318iS BMW for under 3k with great interior and 150k miles.

50k is a couple years of decent driving so why not start from as fresh as possible.

I won't have that much disposable income once I buy a car, so I guess I better keep lookin'! I really wan't a P5 though, so far I've looked at Golf's, Focus', old school impreza's... but the P5 is the only one that really caught my eye.
thanks for the input guys, much appreciated!

The motor in the P5 (FSDE) are only worth about $800 CAD with 60-80k on them. So if you decided to purchase this you could always replace the motor later.

Yeah. But....what about the other parts of the vehicle with 300,000kms on it? :p The constant repairing and replacing of items and diag probably wouldn't be worth the hassle if its your first car. but then again if you fancy that stuff then why not..

I'm gonna go with a no on this one, you can find cars for the same price with half the mileage, but maybe not as "loaded" as the p5.

I'm surprised nobody has latched onto teh fact that this vehcile is only 5 years old.
214k miles in only 5 years is a snotload of driving. What's the history on it? Are these the original owners? Knowing how/why that kind of mileage was racked up will answer 90% of the questions raised. E.g. maybe it was used ass a business car for long trips, and hence was very well maintained b/c it was on the company's dime.

How's this for comparison - my '03 just hit 43,000 miles. Still on original brake pads!

Back