2002 protege 5 auto to manual tranny swap

AEMMAZDA5

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
Hey guys,

I was wondering if it's possible to do an auto to manual tranny swap in an '02 protege 5. My tranny is going out, and I don't want to put an auto back in. I want to replace the stock tranny with a 5 speed manual. If this is possible, does anyone have a guess on what it would cost to get a 5 speed put in?? If it's even possible that is.
I appreciate your help!!!

hey whats up.. welcome to the forums. The swap is possible since P5's already come in manual form. So all you would have to do is find a salvaged manual P5 and rip all the parts off of that and then change out everything. Youd have to drill into the firewall I believe in order to get the clutch pedal to work and everything. Along with other things.. Im not sure of. Some people have done it here on the forums.. some with success and some ran into problems.

......and most people say to sell the automatic Protege and buy a manual Protege.

......and most people say to sell the automatic Protege and buy a manual Protege.
Unfortunately... yes, return your P5 to stock, keep all the aftermarket parts, sell it and buy a new one. You will end up spending more money converting your automatic to a manual transmission than you would just essentially trading it in. Also, you have to worry about a lot of things such as whether your P5 has ABS or not, etc.

One of the guys in my car club (AZMC) just purchased a used P5 with a good 5 speed and a blown motor for $500. He swapped everything over to his Auto P5 and can't be happier.

One of the guys in my car club (AZMC) just purchased a used P5 with a good 5 speed and a blown motor for $500. He swapped everything over to his Auto P5 and can't be happier.

From what I've read in this forum it seems like it might have been easier to move the motor to the manual, rather than the transmission to the automatic.

The $500 car was if poor condition. He's rebuilding my MSP transmission with the limited slip. In trade I'm giving him one of my 5 speed transmissions. So eventually he'll have twin P5's.

Well, there are a few problems that I've run into...
First of all, if I did want to trade it in, I would still have to replace the stock auto tranny and put a new one in in order for them to even consider taking it as a trade in. Secondly, I would honestly rather keep my auto P5 and do the conversion, considering I already know the history of the car and I don't want to buy another one and have something that I dont' know about go wrong with it and have regrets. Do any of you know where I could find a salvaged manual p5 for cheap, or if it comes down to it, where I could find an auto tranny to replace the one in mine so I could trade it in?

Thanks for all of your posts.

a salvage yard near you would be your best bet

if i were you i wouldnt do the swap, have you tried getting the tranny repaired?

a salvage yard near you would be your best bet

if i were you i wouldnt do the swap, have you tried getting the tranny repaired?

Yeah, I've been thinking about it quite a bit, and it seems that the over-all response is to just trade it in. I haven't had it looked at yet, but I know a guy that owns a dealership/shop that he said I could bring it into. I'm not even really sure what exactly is wrong with the tranny, but when I take off from a standstill, it does fine through first, but when it tries to shift to second, the RPM's just skyrocket to almost 7500 before it catches in second gear. Sometimes it even does it into third, but after that it seems to do fine.

How about going over to a 2003 auto-tran's ? I myself would love to have a 5 speed... but I live in the city, (stop & go, stop & go) so the Auto worked out for me... but I've been thinking of up-grading (if I can find one) to a 03 Auto... its seems like its the best of both worlds.... and should be a easy swap... so I think.

How about going over to a 2003 auto-tran's ? I myself would love to have a 5 speed... but I live in the city, (stop & go, stop & go) so the Auto worked out for me... but I've been thinking of up-grading (if I can find one) to a 03 Auto... its seems like its the best of both worlds.... and should be a easy swap... so I think.

I haven't thought about that actually... Is the tranny from the 03 much different than the '02? I test drove an '03, but it was a 5 speed. Too bad my credit wasn't good enough.. That P5 was sweet as hell. But I do want to see if I can just get the tranny repaired, but if not, I'll either replace it with just the stock '02 auto tranny and trade it in for a 5 speed. Or I'll just get a new one and keep it. Do you know how much an '03 auto tranny would cost me? Sorry, I'm not real good with this kind of stuff, I'm pretty new to the whole upgrading of my car. I never had money to do it.

I really do appreciate your guys' patience and posts.
Thanks.

^^I think what he meant by that was that the sport shift was offered in 2003. At least, I think so anyway.

yeah the only time i see benefit is when downshifting with it otherwise your safefest bet is to leave it drive for accelerating because sometimes it wont respond as fast as you and you bounce off the rev limiter. After downshifting to prepare for a turn it feels unnatural deccelerating maybe im just not use to it, i would recommend getting a transmission cooler if you wish to use this feature to the fullest.

Eh the sport shift is not worth it, its still an auto and not as good as audi and other more expensive cars and still only 4 gears. If you have the time and money I say do the conversion if you really want manual. And it might not be your transmission that is going but possibly your valvebodies.

Eh the sport shift is not worth it, its still an auto and not as good as audi and other more expensive cars and still only 4 gears. If you have the time and money I say do the conversion if you really want manual. And it might not be your transmission that is going but possibly your valvebodies.

Oh, wow. I never even thought of that. I'll have to get that checked out. Thanks!

Any one no how hard the swap is i have an 03 p5 with bad motor good auto tranny with auto stick and i have a wreacked 02 p5 that is manual wanna make the auto a manual

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Back