mod on budget STS vs CAI

Falconx84

:
2007 Mazdaspeed3
ok, so I'm on a self-imposed budget of roughly $300/ month for mods esp since I bought this car telling myself that I wouldn't modify it. But we all know how that goes, once you're bit by the tuner bug its a lifetime affliction

I'm considering the CP-E CAI versus a STS, specifically TWM since I don't recall seeing any others available

just looking for some opinions on improving driveability and these are 2 mods I miss having from my previous car. I'll end up with both eventually, j/w which you think I should go for first

the other that I'm considering (esp if I make my bonus this month) is the 4th motor mount replacement. I'm looking @ the $reet unit versus AWR 70d. Anyone try both and like one over the other?

Thanks, I look forward to reading your responses since this seems to be one of the most level-headed groups out there

Go for the CAI first, the STS can wait till next month! The CAI will make the butt dyno happy as well as make a cool air sucking noise and make the bpv louder!

As for the rear engine mount, go for the street unit mount or wait for the new mount Protege Garage will be selling soon. Someone posted a pic of a ripped AWR mount a while back.

protege has a new one coming out..... interesting

as it is, I'm kind of leaning towards the CAI... but I love the feel of a crisp shifter. Although, it's kind of convenient that the STS w/ bushings and motor mount add up to right about the cost of the CAI so I may put those off til next month when I have a 3rd mount option to choose from and do them both together

Personally I would suggest the cobb SRI, from protegegarage thats right around $175 with free shipping I think. Honestly I think the difference between the cobb and cai is negligible in real driving situations, although dyno numbers are lower on the cobb (because you just can't simulate real driving on a dyno)

Then you might want to consider the corksport motor mount inserts instead of a completely new mount. I can't provide much insight into this, but its way cheaper, and I had inserts from energy suspension in my old car and they were quality. Then you can grab the twm bushings to tighten up the shifter a bit.

You can find the inserts here: http://corksport.com/store/category/buir/MS3_Engine.html

I couldn't find much info about them, but I plan on using these since they're easy to install and remove whenever you want, and they're cheap, so if you aren't a fan of the stiffer mounts, you aren't throwing away $100 on an upgrade you don't like.

I've heard nothing but good things about the TWM bushings, and while they won't quite accomplish what a short shifter does, they will definately improve the feel of the stock shifter.

Honestly, thats probably the most bang for your buck.
intake: $175
Shifter bushings: $40
Motor mount inserts: $35

Total: $245 for more power, crisper shifts and less driveline movement.

I have MS CAI, CS inserts, and the TWM bushings. The inserts and bushings are an awesome mod for the money. Combined, shifting is much improved. It's a lot easier to shift and get into the next gear at high rpm shifts and the general shifting "feel" is a lot better. You can always buy the short shifter later then too, without the bushings. I pretty much second what Subparpunk says and would be my recommendation too. If I didn't have the MS CAI already, I would get the Cobb intake.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back