NA Tech Race to 100whp per 1000cc's

my mind has been on suspension for the past couple weeks. and just need a few more parts to keep me happy while i do this build

im giddy like a schoolgirl thinkin about this.

So I am self Admitted newb when it comes to engine building. I mean I've read alot on the subject but never actually had the drive or cash flow to do it. I've been wanting to do it for some time now but never really pushed myself to do. Im actually more excited about what I'm gonna learn from this project more than anything else. Now dont count me out for this reason. I love this s***. Hopefully I can find a dependable and experienced shop to help me with this. I guesse its gonna be a baptism by fire kind of thing for me.

I am looking foward to the challenge. Thanks for the push LW. Thing I love about this is there really is no cheating,
every aspect of an engine has to be covered or you wont get the results. Well at least thats the way I look at it.

article I came across, very informative
Raw power page 1
Raw power page 2

Last edited:
nice primer articles there - but his header explaination is completely backwards.

Essentially, the LONGER the pipes are (in both the intake and exhaust manifold) the EARLIER they develop power. Check out an F1 car - the headers are short as - do you think they care about bottom end?

I might do up a bit of an exhaust and intake design primer later today if i get some time :)

Hey Tom03es, did the dyno you tested on compensate for NO AIR at your altitude? I'm kinda interested in running this race too, but at 6100 above sea level, I'm at a huge disadvantage. I'm still tossing around the idea of either NA or the Ford racing supercharger, but turbo's pretty much out.

Hey Tom03es, did the dyno you tested on compensate for NO AIR at your altitude? I'm kinda interested in running this race too, but at 6100 above sea level, I'm at a huge disadvantage. I'm still tossing around the idea of either NA or the Ford racing supercharger, but turbo's pretty much out.

how hard is it to get your car to a dyno at a lower altitude?

Altitude corrections are available on most decent set ups... i dont know what the correction factor is so i cant build that into the rules, unfortunatly.

I'm considering some rules for auto transmissions - but i'm not 100% sure how i'm going to do it. See, in theory, an auto can be modified to be insanely effecient... my race car (not a mazda) is being built with an old school turbo 400 gearbox, it'll shift faster, and transfer power a hell of alot better than any manual box designed to hold the same power....

Point is, some crafty auto boys could really mix it up if they started addressing just what is making the auto box hold them back....

Yes. While I don't know the exact altitude of the dyno shop out in Parker, it's somewhere between 5-6000 feet. And according to the UNCORRECTED numbers from the dyno software, I made 79 hp 86 tq. Which is consistent with old saying: "there's 20% less air in Denver".

I'll sub to this... I just recently rebuilt my motor. Took a my poor old FP- and swapped it for a .020 overbored FSDE. Put higher compression pistons in there, 9.5:1 (although I wish I would have gone to 10:1 now) and have intake/header/exhaust and a port-matched intake manifold. I have a J-Spec intake cam sitting at home and need to get a new J-Spec exhaust cam to go with it... and then tune the car. Not sure if I'll come close to 200whp, but I think I'll be sitting fairly well.

Best of luck guys...

Some of the JDM FS-ZEs comes with a 10.7:1 compression ratio stock and make 170hp at the crank, so I think 100whp/liter might need a lot more work.

Pretty far off, so far... (headshake

Give me another month to make my headers and get it redyno'd on a dynojet. But then I'm aiming for the 75 hp / liter set... not the 100 hp / liter. Still waiting to see if any of my buds here wants to go the whole hog... I'll satisfy my urge by helping them. (naughty)

Last edited:
Can we use these? I am thinking about 20 of these in a row would work for 200 whp (naughty).

B&B_Performance_Line_Electric_Supercharger.jpg

Someone is going to have to put together some ITB's to get nail this goal.

I hope at least because that would be sweet.

Someone is going to have to put together some ITB's to get nail this goal.

I hope at least because that would be sweet.

ITBs would be one way (they'd certainly patch up the big hole in the midrange that going for an astronomical goal will give you)....

personally, i'm going for a tuned tunnel ram intake manifold (single throttle) and spastic revs :p

subbin, i'm interested in this b/c i plan on keeping my car completely n/a and trying to run with my buddies srt-4 in the 1/4. I know this is an insane idea but its just a goal for me to achieve. If i want it to become a reality i'll have to put alot of effort (and money) into my dream. Please don't flame me. *ducks down*

subbin, i'm interested in this b/c i plan on keeping my car completely n/a and trying to run with my buddies srt-4 in the 1/4. I know this is an insane idea but its just a goal for me to achieve. If i want it to become a reality i'll have to put alot of effort (and money) into my dream. Please don't flame me. *ducks down*

Noone is going to flame you.... but just make sure your pockets are deep...

Ballistic NA mods are par for the course in this thread - so go silly :)

i personally believe that you could get the thing into the mid to high 13s, with the right work....but its street drivability would be questionable ;)

Glad someone believes its at least possible. As to whether or not i'll ever get there, nobody knows.

Latest posts

Back