626 Mani Worth It Or Not Worth It????

SOCAL MSP

Ok Ive been hearing good and bad things about the 626 mani and I wanna hear from everyone that has one on there car or people that did and didnt like on this. Im on the edge of buying the 626 mani next payday, but I hear its not worht it, then I hear it is????

I already have a forged motor, custom fmic, cai, custom stage 1 clutch, 2.5 exhaust system, afc unit installed but not tuned. Car runs great but will the 626 mani make my car pick up a lot better?? Will it really give me the numbers that it claims??

Or is it a hassle?? Will it not live up to what they say about it on portegegarage. Not trying to put them on blast but I rather not spend $300 and then regret it later.....Thanks(ugh)

Last edited:
YES the 626 intake manifold is one of the best modifications you can do for the mazdaspeed protege. I myself have the ghl 3'' turbo back exhaust,fmic,maf sensor relocation, ported throttlebody and pretty soon the thunder exhaust manifold. The 626 manifold was by far the most noticeable modification I have done. And possibly the cheapest too.

mazda 626 intake maifold =(first)

YES the 626 intake manifold is one of the best modifications you can do for the mazdaspeed protege. I myself have the ghl 3'' turbo back exhaust,fmic,maf sensor relocation, ported throttlebody and pretty soon the thunder exhaust manifold. The 626 manifold was by far the most noticeable modification I have done. And possibly the cheapest too.

mazda 626 intake maifold =(first)

Yeah cause payday for me is next week and Im still up in the air about it.

I forget who's car this was or what mods were on it but it gives you an idea of the gains. You do take a hit in power for the lower rpm but the high end more than makes up for it.

Attachments

• manifolddyno.jpg
    manifolddyno.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 555
Dam since I got kens attention. I heard that you feel less restirction and it picks up better??? When I install it. Is there anything I should look out for????

midrange and topend power is A LOT better. just to give you an idea, one of my employees who had never driven a mazdaspeed protege before working for me drove one with a split second AFC and a factory manifold, then drove one with the stock ECU and the 626 manifold. he felt the car with the 626 manifold - even on stock ECU - was alot more fun to drive than the car with the stock manifold.

midrange and topend power is A LOT better. just to give you an idea, one of my employees who had never driven a mazdaspeed protege before working for me drove one with a split second AFC and a factory manifold, then drove one with the stock ECU and the 626 manifold. he felt the car with the 626 manifold - even on stock ECU - was alot more fun to drive than the car with the stock manifold.

Pretty clear right there.....Ok sounds great and theres nothing big on the install part that will hold me back or set me back???

from the little bit of research i've been doing into the stock manifold (preparing for my own home made custom 2nd order helmholtz NA crazy mani), the intake manifold definantly has to be upgraded to unlock "serious" power.

Might not give you all you hope for NOW - but it will certainly support more power if it flows substantially more than the stocko.

i personally love/hate the 626 manifold.
it killed lots of power down low...but it also released alot of power on the top end...

my car wants to keep pulling even after 7000rpms!!
i don't know if it is just the 626 mani or a combination of the j-spec cam with the 626..but DAMN

oh, BTW...i'm not running ken's manfiold...i'm running an older one froma 626 '96

Def. By far the best bang for the buck, makes mid to top range so much more fun.:)

I see...Dam I wish I already had this part. Sounds like it pulls pretty good when it kicks in?? Install any big pain in the ass parts Im gonna have to deal with??

the EGR pipe is the biggest pain in the ass. make sure you scrape off ALL the old gasket material at the throttle body and head before laying new gasket down.

its not to bad to install, just take your time, and the bracket on the bottom of the mani, make sure to take it all the way off or its kind of a pain gettin it out an puttin the new one in

lol @ ken......me kids alot

hey, for all you pussies who ask if it is hard to install a manifold....mang, i cna't get ay easier than this!

there's really too little to **** up.
as long as you kep organized, you won't **** it up.....

Back