After market trailer hitch

It's cheaper now because it's discontinued. If that's all he needs, good deal.

As I pointed out, these are less than the Yak's retail price, but may cost more now because they also include drawbars. I suggested these two in case he wanted that additional feature.

You can see how I did four bikes. I already had the 2 bike hitch rack that I fabricated, which is why I put a factory receiver on my car (1 1/4"). The roof system doubles as a two kayak stacker, so it worked well for me. In the second photo you can see the wheel forks with the kayak caps in place. In case anyone else has boats and bikes.

Attachments

• 4 Bikes.JPG
    4 Bikes.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 349
  • Car Rack rear.jpg
    Car Rack rear.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 325
For a 2" receiver hitch I like the Thule T2 and T2 Add-on. I leave the T2 on most of the time (for two bikes) and use the Add-on when there are more than two of us. It folds up, and takes seconds to load the bikes. All of my riding buddies have the same rack so we can show up at whoevers house we are meeting at and stick the T2 Addon in.

I used to have a rack where the bikes hung from above. We spent a lot of time making sure the bikes didn't swing and scratch each other. Once you've used a T2, you'll never use a hanging style rack again.

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-brft~TH918.htm?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=ppc

I need to get 2 kids bikes(20" and 16") and two adult bikes(one with full suspension) on one of these carriers. Are the hanging ones better when you have bikes of all different sizes, or are the ones that that hold the wheel?

What's the maximum I can tow that won't void the warranty?

If I install higher class hitch receiver and even though I did not tow heavy load and something happen to the car, will they turn around and blame me for overloading the car?

The CX 9 w/o Tow package installed is rated at 2000lb.
With Tow package, it is 3500lb.
To be on the safe side, you should deduct the weight of passengers (exc. the drivers) and luggages from that value. I think the max rating was computed based on 1-driver alone.
I could be wrong on this. Maybe other experienced drivers can share their insights on this.

Installing the hitch alone will not void any warranty. If rust starts to show up near the hitch's bolts, it is another story - usually this is not a concern at all.

The responsibility to prove that you over-towed with CX9 is on the automaker, not you. If you did not, you are in the right. No fear, my friend.

Last edited:
Towing rating is passengers, cargo, trailer, and trailer contents combined. Don't put 2000/3500lbs of trailer behind and expect to be within the load limit.

I'm thinking of towing a tent trailer, I don't have one yet maybe will rent one to try. The rental company said that these trailers are so light that even a regular car can tow it. I don't have any knowledge on towing and I just start reading and researching. I don't want to make any bad decision; end up spending on something doesn't fit my needs. With these requirements can I just install an OEM hitch? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

BTW, my CX-9 is a late 2008 GT model I got it in January 2009; I don't have a sunroof because my daughter wants the rear entertainment system. I did not order for towing package because at that time I don't know that it needs to be order as an option.

Thanks,

AB

Standard towing is 2000 for the 2008. You can't add the towing package, but can add a receiver, your own wiring, and a trans cooler. Max towing is 3500lbs properly equipped. Even with a cooler I wouldn't push that.

I bought a factory receiver from a guy who replaced it with a 2", and did the wiring myself. If I need to tow more than 1500, I will add an outboard ATF cooler.

An OEM hitch receiver will handle 3500lbs. It's the cooling that makes the difference from standard to package capacity. I never understood why they wouldn't sell the receiver and wiring.

Renting is a great idea, to see how it tows, and works for you as a camper.

I saw on U-Haul website that they are selling the hitch, wiring and cooling system. If you install the cooling system will it void the warranty?

If you install the cooling system will it void the warranty?

No. Not unless it directly causes a problem.

U-Haul has a nice trans cooler, and I used their wiring harness, which not only has the flat 4 connection, but the individual bullet connectors that some rentals use. It also has a built in tester.

Is there anyone from British Columbia Canada on this forum? I'm trying to buy the Hidden Hitch 87438 and it seems that most of the local dealer here

ripping off their customer.

If you look on the link below:

http://www.hidden-hitch.com/p-87438..._Hitch_Receiver-20089245-hitch-Mazda_CX9.html

Their price is US$164 and with todays exchange rate that is equivalent to CAD$186.87. Most of the dealer her are charging for similar product for

CAD$279 plus tax. It's nearly a hundred dollar more!

U-Haul on the other hand sells just for CAD$179 for model 78223? Is U-haul hitch is as good as other hitch brand? Anyone knows someone used it on

their CX-9?

Comment please, thanks.

I did some research while I was purchasing the hitch.
AFAIK, there are only 3-4 hitch makers in USA. Hidden-hitch, Curt, Draw-Tite are the front runners.
There is another one in Tracy or Stockton California caled, Valley.
(for CX9, the Hidden Hitch and the Draw-Tite ones look almost exactly the same - see etrailer.com for photos)

Hidden Hitch uses a round pipe. Curt uses square pipe. Their shapes are also slightly different.
(search on ebay with "CX9 Hitch", and you will see both of them)

At the end, I preferred the Hidden Hitch so I got one from eTailer.com while it had a promotion (free-shipping beyond $X sort of thing).
They are both class-III so they should preform similarly under stress.
I don't think U-Haul makes hitches by themselves.
Their hitches are probably out-sourced from one of the said makers.

Last edited:
I'm almost certain U haul makes their own towing equipment. They build their trucks themselves, and both the trucks and hitches are different from any other make I've seen.
Hidden Hitch and Draw Tite are the same. They are both owned by Cequent, along with Reese. (By the way, Hidden Hitch isn't so hidden on a CX9)
If they do contract their hitch manufacturing, I'd guess Valley makes them to Uhaul's specifications. (Uhaul receivers have an extra gusset on top)

I've used U Haul balls and wiring, and all performed well. They also seem to put more thought into their products. As I said before, their wiring harness not only has the flat 4 connection like other brands, but also the individual bullet connectors that some rentals use. It also has a built in tester to check the wiring when you're done.

They also tend to exceed safety standards for their balls and receivers. And, you can also get a lifetime no questions warranty for $5.

You can also get one of these: http://store.uhaul.com/Hitch_balls__mounts/Moving/Animated_Hitch_Ball_Covers

Last edited:
SportsOwner,
I must have been mistaken by this page...
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread/t-9129.html
People called Curt and they admitted that U-Haul (some, at least) hitches are same as Curt (i.e. OEM is Curt Engineering). I am not saying ALL, but, if I were U-Haul, my core competency should not be making hitches. I might design them (or ask for improvements), but certainly not manufacturing them.

I was just guessing, to be honest. I still think whoever makes them does so according to U haul specific specs, but I'm sure they are as good as anything else out there.

I'd get 2 extra bolts. The factory receiver is mounted with 6. Is the Valley drilled for 6?

Last edited:
Back