Any Alternative Way To Check Belt Tension?

carter1551

:
03 Mp5
I have the rr racing udp but my belts squeel once in a while and I dont have one of those things to tell you the belt tension so is there anything else that I can go by to tell when I have about the right amount of tension?

Keep tightening until it stops, no fancy nothing needed other than wrenches & an ear.

If you over tighten, it will squeal also! I am wondering about this also.

Bump

Since I'm currently having problems with squealing belts, I'll bump to find out if anyone has an answer...

Tighten in increments. Turn on the a/c. test drive. Repeat as needed.

If you let it squeal for a long time before fixing it - the belt is glazed and will need to be replaced.

grab the belt about mid-span between 2 pullies. If you can rotate the belt more than a 1/4 turn with your fingers, it's too loose. If you can't rotate it 1/4 turn, it's too tight. Not very scientific or exact, but it's worked for me.

grab the belt about mid-span between 2 pullies. If you can rotate the belt more than a 1/4 turn with your fingers, it's too loose. If you can't rotate it 1/4 turn, it's too tight. Not very scientific or exact, but it's worked for me.
Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Whats the instructions with the UDP say? 2 inches of give in the belt or something? Im guessing being able to pull up on it an inch and push down on it an inch? The twisting method works too. You will know if its too tight, and if its too loose then just tighten it more. They are new belts, they may stretch a bit as well. It took mine about 2 full weeks with adjusting twice a week to get them perfect.

Mine sqeals like a mad man right on start up sometimes and when I turnon the AC.

I THINK it is my altenator pully because this is the third belt I have put on there and it squeals when ever an electrical load. IE - used to do it when headlights were on at night.

Back