CX-9 Picture Thread

First ski trip to Vermont:

2m6pxqf.jpg

Try this=
Top right corner, click Settings> go to bottom left corner> Manage Files >Choose File >Upload > hover mouse over .jpg >copy url > go back to you post > paste url in 'insert image' icon.

Bought a Yakima Skybox 16 recently. With a set of infant twins, we needed more storage due to the massive stroller, two diaper bags, and the extra stuff we need to haul when visiting the in-laws. Plus, we travel with our dog, so she takes up one seat in the third row. I think this roof box looks pretty cool on the CX-9, definitely compliments it's athletic styling. I'm going to pimp out the roof box with a fake shark fin antenna on the top and on the sides to give it a aero/dart look. A new dad's gotta find some way to have a little fun.

1474403018581824609.jpg
8075391789248553155.jpg
5402170558046514619.jpg

Bought a Yakima Skybox 16 recently. With a set of infant twins, we needed more storage due to the massive stroller, two diaper bags, and the extra stuff we need to haul when visiting the in-laws. Plus, we travel with our dog, so she takes up one seat in the third row. I think this roof box looks pretty cool on the CX-9, definitely compliments it's athletic styling. I'm going to pimp out the roof box with a fake shark fin antenna on the top and on the sides to give it a aero/dart look. A new dad's gotta find some way to have a little fun.

Looks good! Do you know how much clearance there is on the inside of the box? We just had a baby as well (3 weeks old), and with a 3-year-old toddler, I've been looking into top boxes to stow the stroller when we're out. My wife's parents are staying with us and need to sit in the back. I was looking at Thule, but that box looks pretty big and good looking (for a top box). I may need to look at Yakima again.

Seems there are quite a few of us with buns that are fresh out of the oven, lol. I'm also a proud papa of a three week old.

Here's a shot of mine fresh from the dealership:
attachment.php

IMG_20180111_182807.jpg

Last edited:
That sounds like the perfect storm/scenario for a roof box! The went with the Yakima mainly because it looked more stylish than the Thule. I know some folks prefer the Thule because it's a trusted brand and it's European. You can't go wrong with either one. I took the time to visit my local REI (camping) store to check both brands out side by side, and to get a genuine sense of the size of these things! Seeing one on the roof of a car going down the highway doesn't give you a true sense for just how BIG these things are. I already told my wife that this thing can double as my casket.

When comparing the dimensions of Thule Force L (Large) against the Yakima Skybox 16 (both at 16 cu ft capacity):
Thule Force L: 74" L x 36" W x 16.5" H (Weight: 39 Lbs)
Yakima Skybox 16: 81" L x 36" W x 15" H (Weight: 47 Lbs)

As you can see, it seems Yakima's approach is long and sleek, while Thule goes for height but with a smaller footprint. Here's a good video of the Yakima Skybox 16 so you can get a practical idea of the interior (because while the dimensions above give you a good sense of overall size, of course these things are not straight-edged boxes, so interior dimensions are smaller).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32wBlwzaX3c

Let me know if you need more info, or would like exact interior dimensions.

Here's a photo I found online of the CX-9 with the Skybox 21
https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/attachments/mazda-cx-9-50/3375d1481255466-2016-cx-9-roof-rack-cross-bars-received_10157480998890032.jpeg

Check out this link to see the Thule Force XL on the CX-9: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-9-50/2016-cx-9-roof-rack-cross-bars-37544/#post160437

Last edited:
Very nice! Love the contrast of the clean sleek dark CX-9 against the white snow. Also, congrats on the newborn!

P.S. Don't listen to the wife when she complains that you're taking a corner a bit too fast with the baby in the car. The CX-9 is planted and doesn't have the body roll of an SUV, so enjoy it!

It was my birthday this past weekend, so what better way to spend it than to wash and wax the CX-9. It definitely needed it as there was big splatter all over the front end...and you can imagine how fun that is to clean with the CX-9's massive grille. Tire shine also added, and polish for the black plastic areas.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 3776440532497237489.jpg
    3776440532497237489.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 884
  • 1653440128080068049.jpg
    1653440128080068049.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 878
  • 8727405212064366637.jpg
    8727405212064366637.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 858
  • 4360384085896439782 copy.jpg
    4360384085896439782 copy.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 897
Got new screw-on exhaust tips in, so once I put those on I'll post a few more photos. Also thinking of adding spacers to all four wheels.

It was my birthday this past weekend, so what better way to spend it than to wash and wax the CX-9. It definitely needed it as there was big splatter all over the front end...and you can imagine how fun that is to clean with the CX-9's massive grille. Tire shine also added, and polish for the black plastic areas.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
I commend you doing that for your birthday buuuuuttt...you're supposed to relax and have jobs done on you for your birthday and not do one!
You did do a hell of a job though!
Looking good! Have you lowered it?

I commend you doing that for your birthday buuuuuttt...you're supposed to relax and have jobs done on you for your birthday and not do one!
You did do a hell of a job though!Looking good!

Thanks, I'm no expert when it comes to car detailing and so on, but I was pretty happy with the end result. As for doing work vs. being treated like a king on my birthday.... my situation's a little ways from normal right now. We have 5 month old twin girls, so actually being outside for a few hours shining up the new car inside & out is more physically, and most definitely mentally relaxing than two screaming girls. :D Later in the day we went out for dinner, and seeing our beautifully clean car in the parking lot gave me a sense of pride and joy ...and uh, so do my daughters. :p

First oil change is just about due, so it should be fun getting more 'alone time' to do that! Now that I think about it, the backyard needs to be cut, ...and oh the gutters cleaned! :D

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm no expert when it comes to car detailing and so on, but I was pretty happy with the end result. As for doing work vs. being treated like a king on my birthday.... my situation's a little ways from normal right now. We have 5 month old twin girls, so actually being outside for a few hours shining up the new car inside & out is more physically, and most definitely mentally relaxing than two screaming girls. :D Later in the day we went out for dinner, and seeing our beautifully clean car in the parking lot gave me a sense of pride and joy ...and uh, so do my daughters. [emoji14]

First oil change is just about due, so it should be fun getting more 'alone time' to do that! Now that I think about it, the backyard needs to be cut, ...and oh the gutters cleaned! :D
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I fully understand and congrats on the girls. A lesson learned from my uncle is to make sure you and the dog always have the same equipment if you don't have any other kids, don't plan on anymore or haven't gotten that boy yet. That way, you won't have to go through the struggle of estrogen charged emotions alone (The experience from my 2 yr daughter says cuz it's coming [emoji51][emoji51]). Stay strong sir!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I fully understand and congrats on the girls. A lesson learned from my uncle is to make sure you and the dog always have the same equipment if you don't have any other kids, don't plan on anymore or haven't gotten that boy yet. That way, you won't have to go through the struggle of estrogen charged emotions alone (The experience from my 2 yr daughter says cuz it's coming [emoji51][emoji51]). Stay strong sir!

Hahaha, I know I'm in for a rude awakening! I grew up an old child, so I didn't even have a sister to realize with girls can be like. Oh well, if we don't get a boy, then I'm going to use the 'I need my guy-time' card a LOT!

Hahaha, where there is a will, there is a way!

I plan to retrofit paddle shifters to my CX-9 the same way I did with our CX-5, so if the girls ever start acting up during a drive, I'll have to scare them with a bit of 'passionate' driving around a few corners. The Mrs won't be too happy, but she knows full well that I have that inner demon in me that wants to come out whenever we come across some fun twisty roads.

Ha ha, You're both in for it! My first daughter is 3(going on 13) and we have a 7-week old daughter. I know just what SK77X is saying, I LOVE my daughters but between them and my (lovely) wife, and my mother-in-law and the 13-year-old female cat...I relish some time "fixing" things on my own! Don't get me wrong, I love my family to death but everyone needs some "alone" time now and again. At least my 3yr old now screams "Faster faster" when I drop into some twisties, ha ha, love that kid!

Back