How to Improve Cabin Ventilation

07MZ5SA

:
2007 Mazda 5
Have dual A/C for 3+ row vehicles here in Texas is almost a requirement. Instead of trade up to an '08 MZ5 or minivans, adding a booster fan significantly improve comfort level in 2nd and 3rd row.

I've just made a 3-hour trip to San Antonio in 97F sunny day. I can run "2" to keep all passengers happy.

Ingredient: 2 120 mm (12V) computer fans, screws, zip ties and a power plug cable.

I don't use driver's armrest so it's the perfect place to attach the fans.

Attachments

• MZ5fan.JPG
    MZ5fan.JPG
    470.5 KB · Views: 859
with the heat you guys have been having your lucky your car doesn't melt!!:D

That gives me an idea. How about opening up/replacing the duct-work under the driver/passenger seats and installing two constant speed pusher fans there? My major complaint with the HVAC in the 5 is that the placement of the vents in the dash pushes all the air into the pilot/co-pilot positions leaving precious little for the other two rows. Even when I crank the fan speed to 4 it seems like very little air is making it to the back. I would like to go play in an 08 when they start showing up so I can see how Mazda dealt with the issue in adding rear seat vents and fan speed control.

I can't wait to see how much the '08 parts for the 2nd row vents/console are gonna run. IF they are gonna be compatible with the current center console OR the dash on our 'inferior' models.

I can't wait to see how much the '08 parts for the 2nd row vents/console are gonna run. IF they are gonna be compatible with the current center console OR the dash on our 'inferior' models.

Good point Benfolio, I have no knowledge in this area (stoned), but wouldn't the a/c compressor need to be more powerful on the '08s as well? More ducts, more vents, more... (wow)

Benfolio, I'm suspecting that the 2nd row vent will be ductwork through the area that was the console with the output towards the rear. With any luck, us current owners will be able to buy the parts and retrofit them, if not, there's always 07MZ5SA's budget solution.

The storage compartment would have to be shallow and the lid flip up to the side, so the new (for NA) passenger seat armrest wouldn't smack up against it. The console rear cupholders would be eliminated but the karakuri cup holders would substitute for that, and that's why that flip out tray will be standard on the Sport.

Just guessing...

I think it'll just be a redesigned center console for rear air duct w/ fan.

It's unlikely compressor or evaporator will be changed.

^^In that case the DIY solution makes just as much sense as retrofitting the 08 parts IMHO. I was thinking something smaller than what our Texan friend came up with. Maybe a set of high output CPU fans or amp fans would be best. I don't really see the need to generate gale force wiinds in the back seat, just help the cool air make it to the third row.

slick, do what ya gotta do to be cool. We usually just point the 4 front ducts away from the front seats and has worked ok in the 1st n 2nd rows. Haven't had a long trip yet with the 3rd row in use.

Last edited:
I'm interested to see these new changes in the '08. As for now, while it takes forever for the rear to cool down on a 105* day, once it gets cool it's not much of a problem. We have found that by aiming the main front vents up (so the air goes over the driver and passenger) it dramatically increases air flow to the rear of the car.

I've had my 06 since April of 06 and am about to top 36k miles. I've live in Dallas/FTW and have never had an issue with the AC. My kids have asked me to turn it down, but never said that they were too hot.

Man, you know the led 120mm fans give you like...10 more rwhp

:)

Have dual A/C for 3+ row vehicles here in Texas is almost a requirement. Instead of trade up to an '08 MZ5 or minivans, adding a booster fan significantly improve comfort level in 2nd and 3rd row.

I've just made a 3-hour trip to San Antonio in 97F sunny day. I can run "2" to keep all passengers happy.

Ingredient: 2 120 mm (12V) computer fans, screws, zip ties and a power plug cable.

I don't use driver's armrest so it's the perfect place to attach the fans.

Do you still use this set up?

Secondly you know your 5 has a recirculate button so you can recirc ie cool air in your car without mixing with the hot air from outside....

Back