Solution To Flickering Fan Speed 2 or 3 A/C

Bill, would you be able to tell us where this resister is installed, or provide a picture?

It's easy. Take off your glovebox and there it is. 2 phillips screws. I just cleaned mine instead with alcohol, fixed it. Rather than buying a new one.

Ok, so I took it out, and it was dirty. I cleaned it with a towel, and some alcohol. I also used a Q-tip to clean the plug contacts. It looks much better. Before and after shots are included.

Attachments

• DSCF8502.JPG
    DSCF8502.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 494
  • DSCF8498.JPG
    DSCF8498.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 491
  • DSCF8497.JPG
    DSCF8497.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 469
  • DSCF8496.JPG
    DSCF8496.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 448
  • DSCF8506.JPG
    DSCF8506.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 447
A couple more closeups:

Attachments

• DSCF8503.JPG
    DSCF8503.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 404
  • DSCF8504.JPG
    DSCF8504.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 360
  • DSCF8505.JPG
    DSCF8505.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 356
I had the same problem. Every place I read said I had to replace the entire HVAC controlls. So I just dealt with having AC by feathering the switch someplace between 3 & 4. After 2 years of juggling this dilema I took everything apart and tried cleaning the switch. Long story short the switch is not the problem.

The problem was under the glove box.

It cost me $26 to fix the problem. Now I have all 4 speeds again and AC in all 4 speeds. No more flickering!!!! No more feathering the switch between 3&4 to get the AC's green light to come on. All works like it did when I got the car way back in 2003 with 3 miles on her.

I changed out the blower motor resistor. www.rockauto.com

2003 MAZDA PROTEGE5 2.0L 2000cc L4 FI DOHC : Heat & Air Conditioning : Blower Motor Resistor.

Part # RU332
Price: $25.79

RU332_FULL.jpg
so this is the fix? and cleaning it works just as well?

so this is the fix? and cleaning it works just as well?

I'm gonna venture a guess that this is probably like the EGR problem with the proteges. You can clean it and it'll work for a while, but it'll probably need to be replaced for a more permanent (er... less temporary?) fix.

I went for a drive. While it works a bit better, cleaning blower motor resistor pack did not totally fix the issue. I'm going to clamp the wire contacts behind the controls, and see if that works. If not, maybe the new resistor pack for the blower motor will fix the issue. Updates to follow.

I went for a drive. While it works a bit better, cleaning blower motor resistor pack did not totally fix the issue. I'm going to clamp the wire contacts behind the controls, and see if that works. If not, maybe the new resistor pack for the blower motor will fix the issue. Updates to follow.
you have the new part...why not just replace it?

It hasn't arrived yet. Stay tuned.

BTW, I used some long needle-nosed pliers to squeeze down the contacts for the plug that goes to the controls, and it looks like all settings but "2" work now. Even 3 will stay on now.

Any Updates? I have tried to clamp the connector and that did not stay working.....I am
considering purchasing the blower resistor....
Did replacing the part fix the problem? Let us know please!

With my clean stock blower resistor seemed to work better than the new one. Either way, the "2" setting is the real hold out on my A/C now. 3 actually works now.

Thanks for this information. I replaced the blower motor resistor first as that seemed cheapest and easiest. After reading your post and the poll of how it worked for others I knew I had found the missing info. Thanks for the detailed post and great pictures. My connector had gotten quite hot and has melted part of the surrounding plastic connector that holds the contacts. The process worked for me!

Does anyone know where I might order a connector like shown in AC PINOUT.jpg above. I will try the Mazda dealer, however if there is a supplier online I would rather order it that way.

Just accidentally came across this thread after I've been meaning to search for it for some time. I'll have to read through the thread and try the recommended fix(es). Thanks!

How do you disconnect the wires from the control unit?

These are the steps I got up to, then couldn't figure out how to remove the control unit.

1. Remove front bezel
2. Remove screws for control unit
3. Remove glove box to access rear of center console

I cant reach around and feel behind the control unit from the glove box. Is there another way to access?

Thanks for posting, OP!! Had this problem after nearly 10 years and 110k miles. I'm embarrassed that I let it go for about 6 months before finally deciding to look into it, and that it only took 20 minutes to fix.

After about 10 miles post-fix, so far so good (2thumbs)

Please help. I cant figure out how to remove the A/C control panel. I know there are cables holding it in from being pulled from the dash (when the panels is off) but where is the cable to remove?

Edit: Figured out where the cables were. What I cant figure out is how to remove the spade crimp connectors from the plastic housing.

Last edited:
Edit: Figured out where the cables were. What I cant figure out is how to remove the spade crimp connectors from the plastic housing.

Use a tiny screwdriver, or maybe the prong of a fork. If you look inside the connector you'll see the little plastic tab that you have to depress in order to remove each spade connector. If you don't have anything small enough to access the little tabs, you could try skipping the removal & cleaning, and just crimp the spade connectors whilst inside the connector housing. Just be careful and don't go shorting power to ground or anything like that.

HELP. I did this "fix" last weekend and now my A/C blows cold, then hot and cycles back and forth. I notice the force of air blowing out of the vents is weaker, even on Speed 4.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Well it is summer again in hot-ass Texas (temps have been over 100 F for over two weeks), and only the 1 and 4 settings work, with the AC flickering on and off.

Latest posts

Back