Solution To Flickering Fan Speed 2 or 3 A/C

there is a link to the TSB on here somewhere and it totally saved my ass. Thanks to printing the tsb Proteg FAQ - TSB MT000003895
Mazda is replacing that thing fo freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. its warranty man. if you're still under warranty print the tsb and bring it to your dealership. they order the part and fix it free. I want to take the time to say thank you to the person who posted that tsb cuz they saved me around 400$ parts and labor. (first)

I bought a used A/C control "supposedly" out of an '03 from a mazda recycler. I'm thinking they hosed me now. It had a few instances of flickering and going out recently. When I changed out the stereo I pinched all the connectors and put dielectric grease in there. Seemed fine but I think it did it again on setting 3 on a hot day. Now I'll have to wait till next summer to find out.

Ya, it'sin the harness for sure. My flickering came back, so I re-did the wire thing and it's gone.

im an ex mazda tech and im sure its a circuit board problem, it was a design flaw. but if in your instance it was a wire concern u looked out but any hows doesnt hurt to try. btw what did u do extactly to correct this concern

Does anyone have pics on how to remove the bezel? I tried to remove it and got to the fan direction cable, but could not find where to disconnect the temp cable. I put it back together, but now the temp knob is stuck in the left side but spits out hot air. Any help?

Does anyone have pics on how to remove the bezel? I tried to remove it and got to the fan direction cable, but could not find where to disconnect the temp cable. I put it back together, but now the temp knob is stuck in the left side but spits out hot air. Any help?
this should help
http://www.floptical.net/mazda/
climate contol section
07-40-9

Last edited:
removing bezel

Does anyone have any pics of how to remove the bezel? I tried to take off the bezel. I removed the vent position cable, but did not take off the temp select cable. Now, when I put it back on, the temp knob is stuck to the far left and the heater is on full blast any help? Thanks

!!!

Mine is so bad now that only position 1 works, with 4 flickering pretty bad. My concern is this, though: When i reached in through the open spot in the radio to jiggle the wiring harness, the wires felt EXTREMELY hot. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? It worries me a tad, to be honest.

Yep, The clamping wire thing didn't fix the problem. I also have already replaced the switches with those from an '03.

I have the problem where the light only turns on in speed 1. 2-4 fan speeds work but no light. However the AC literally does not turn on either (except speed 1). Is this the problem you guys have?

I had the same problem. Every place I read said I had to replace the entire HVAC controlls. So I just dealt with having AC by feathering the switch someplace between 3 & 4. After 2 years of juggling this dilema I took everything apart and tried cleaning the switch. Long story short the switch is not the problem.

The problem was under the glove box.

It cost me $26 to fix the problem. Now I have all 4 speeds again and AC in all 4 speeds. No more flickering!!!! No more feathering the switch between 3&4 to get the AC's green light to come on. All works like it did when I got the car way back in 2003 with 3 miles on her.

I changed out the blower motor resistor. www.rockauto.com

2003 MAZDA PROTEGE5 2.0L 2000cc L4 FI DOHC : Heat & Air Conditioning : Blower Motor Resistor.

Part # RU332
Price: $25.79

RU332_FULL.jpg

Last edited:
this post fixed my problem.... i could only get the AC light to come on in position 1, and sometimes 4. 2 and 3 were dead. i took out the stereo, and instead of crushing the connectors in the harness, i used pliers to bend the connectors on the back of the fan switch/knob so they were more slanted. this caused my AC to work in all 4 fan speeds again.

I had the same problem. Every place I read said I had to replace the entire HVAC controlls. So I just dealt with having AC by feathering the switch someplace between 3 & 4. After 2 years of juggling this dilema I took everything apart and tried cleaning the switch. Long story short the switch is not the problem.

The problem was under the glove box.

It cost me $26 to fix the problem. Now I have all 4 speeds again and AC in all 4 speeds. No more flickering!!!! No more feathering the switch between 3&4 to get the AC's green light to come on. All works like it did when I got the car way back in 2003 with 3 miles on her.

I changed out the blower motor resistor. www.rockauto.com

2003 MAZDA PROTEGE5 2.0L 2000cc L4 FI DOHC : Heat & Air Conditioning : Blower Motor Resistor.

Part # RU332
Price: $25.79

RU332_FULL.jpg

You wouldn't happen to have a write-up on this would you? Summer is fast approaching here in Texas, and even though you guys have high temps, we have humidity with ours....

Back