Solution To Flickering Fan Speed 2 or 3 A/C

Well, to give them the benefit of the doubt, I suspect that not all flickering AC light problems are the same. For instance, on my P5 with the fan on 3 the AC usually won't work (the light goes out) if the car has been parked in the sun for a couple of hours on a very hot day. Run it on position 4 for half an hour and 3 will work again. If it hasn't been parked in the sun all 4 positions work and there is no flickering. Hard to see how that could be a contact issue.

The P5s AC is just as mediocre as the AC was on my old 323. In both cases the AC blows nice and cold when it's not very hot, but when it's 95 or more it can't keep the car's interior as cool as desired. The air blows out cold, just not, apparently, with enough volume to remove all the heat soaking into the car. Subjectively it feels just like running too small a window AC unit in too big a room - cold air, but the room heats up anyway.

It very well CAN be a contact issue in this case as well. Heat causes the metal to expand. So the female connector that hugs the male connector will open a couple of thousands of an inch and break contact. Squeeze your contacts with pliers and leave your P5 in the sun all day. Let me know how it goes. The electronics in the car shouldn't go woncky at a low temperature like 40 degrees celcius. 70-80 degrees, maybe.

Well....after 4 weeks of flawless functionality...the flicker came back!! it works properly most of the time but have had the A/C light go out 3 times now. My final solution...I'm gonna solder the damn wires directly to the switch!!

its not the light , well in most cases, youll notice the air gets warmer.

Yeah I think it is more than just the light. I noticed this problem ~2 weeks ago while driving on the interstate and noticed because of the changing torque because of the AC cutting in and out.

I still probably won't do anything about it though.

I just did the fix. COmpletely remedied my problem! Add another to the "it works" list!

Has anyone that's done this actually had it fail?

itll work as long as the trace on the pcb isnt burned out. which is why it could still fail, but if u catch it early i think this will prevent it from happening

It very well CAN be a contact issue in this case as well. Heat causes the metal to expand. So the female connector that hugs the male connector will open a couple of thousands of an inch and break contact. Squeeze your contacts with pliers and leave your P5 in the sun all day. Let me know how it goes. The electronics in the car shouldn't go woncky at a low temperature like 40 degrees celcius. 70-80 degrees, maybe.

I cleaned and tightened those contacts a week ago and yesterday left the car out in the sun (104 degrees, ugh). As before, in position 3 the fan would blow but the AC light was out. AC light on in 1,2, and 4. After parking the car in the shade for 20 minutes the AC light worked again in position 3. So I don't think this is a contact problem, or if it is, it isn't at that contact.

Since the AC light comes on at 2 and 4 I doubt this has anything to do with current levels or the compressor etc. Seems most likely to be a poorly temperature compensated electronic circuit.

Aw, man. That sucks. Was hoping it was your problem as well. I hope you get it resolved. If you do, please let us know how, k? Thanks!

I know there was a tsb about this a long time ago. anyone know what was replaced when the dealer did the work. i have had the random #2 a/c cut out all i have to to is tap the switch. i think the dealers replaced the entire switch. its not enough to bother me, as i hardly use my a/c even when its 90-100 out still cruise with the windows down. would rather hear the tune of four gerbels than cold air blowing on me ;-)

I know there was a tsb about this a long time ago. anyone know what was replaced when the dealer did the work. i have had the random #2 a/c cut out all i have to to is tap the switch. i think the dealers replaced the entire switch. its not enough to bother me, as i hardly use my a/c even when its 90-100 out still cruise with the windows down. would rather hear the tune of four gerbels than cold air blowing on me ;-)

Dude, did you even read the post?? There's a solution. If you have to tap the switch, then the dealer's fix won't help you. The TSB affects only some models and they only replace the circuit board...increasing the voltage that triggers the compressor to turn on. Try the fix posted here, I'm sure it'll work for you. And it's FREE!! Good luck!

Latest posts

Back