Solution To Flickering Fan Speed 2 or 3 A/C

Weborific

I finally found a solution to MY A/C flickering on position 2 and 3 problem. Canadian dealer wanted $420CND + taxes. US dealer would be around $190US.

PROBLEM: A/C light flickers on position 2 and 3
PREVIOUSLY TRIED: Replacing switch, cleaning all contacts
RESULT: Worked for a day or 2....

SOLUTION: 1) Pull out each wire (1 by 1 so there's no color mix-up) using a tiny screwdriver to lift the tiny tab inside each wire housing.
2) Clean each contact with isopropyl alcohol or similar
3) Squeeze the connector closed with pliers
4) Re-install

Before doing this, I noticed that if I would pull the wire harness out a couple of mm, I would lose electrical contact completely (obviously). But what surprised me was that when I would push the connector in SLOWLY to the point of just making electrical contact, only fan speeds 1 and 4 would work. I would have to push the connector in further to engage all fan speeds. After squeezing my contacts, I now have the A/C light completely solid during ALL fan speeds, EVEN when I pull the connector out a few mm. So this worked for me!

Try it and post your results!! Put a STICKY too!!

EDIT: I JUST ADDED A PIC WITH THE PINOUT SHOWING WHICH WIRE CONTROLS WHICH SPEED... THIS MAY HELP YOU ISOLATE THE PROBLEM WIRE...

I ADDED A POLL HERE:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123679430

Attachments

• 1 pulled out.jpg
    1 pulled out.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 4,440
  • 2 Fully in.jpg
    2 Fully in.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 5,042
  • 3 squeeze.jpg
    3 squeeze.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 4,155
  • AC PINOUT.jpg
    AC PINOUT.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 10,181
Last edited:
These are found behind the climate control panel. You have to pull off the front bezel, detach some wires and 2 cables found under the dash.

Well I'm away on vacation starting on Saturday...but definately gotta fix this crap! I wanna know if it works for others as well....

i need to try this. from what i heard this happens to a lot of people. mine works only on 1 and between 3 and 4. yes in between with a little tap to get it to turn on. but it still flickers except on 1 it stays on solid.

Mine only works on position 4. Even then I have to fiddle with it to get the damn thing to work!

Matt

Does the fan work from 1-3? Or is it just the A/C light that stays off from 1-3? I know the resistor pack is responsible for the different fan speeds, but not sure if it ties in with the A/C compressor. Doubt it...

i definetely gotta try this... mine flickers occasionally on fan speed 2. still works none the less, but i know it'll get to the point where it stops working

I'm in wildwood till the 19-20th of Aug. I'll pull it apart this weekend and see what i can do.

Thanks for the post!

Thanks for the How-To, ask the mods to move it. I replaced my whole circuitboard trying to fix this, and no dice. Now I'll do this one! :D

Nice!!! I need to try this! You just saved me a bunch of $$$.

Latest posts

Back