Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Solution To Flickering Fan Speed 2 or 3 A/C

Gothenburg Superiority Installshield 2's Avatar

I need to look into this...I recently painted all the trim pieces, which went fine, and I had to remove all this stuff (just the big rectangular connector, didn't pull individual wires out)...and I noticed this being a lot worse than it ever was before...

setting 2 blinks constantly now pretty much no matter what...3 occasionally, and 1 and 4 is fine as always...before I messed around with removing this stuff I would maybe 3 or 4 times a month notice it blink on 2...but NEVER anything else...so i'm hoping its related to these spade connectors or whatever, and nothing else...

also, just to help narrow it down...i'm having only AC light blinking (and am positive the compressor goes on and off with it, i feel the slight bump in throttle at lower speeds)...fan speed is all fine, hasn't changed...its just 2 being worse than ever, and now 3 starting to follow suit...i'll try this next week hopefully when I get a chance...
    "I am a Union Delegate" -Henry Hill '63

Donated: $15

2001 Mazda MP3

A few days ago I used needle-nosed pliers to lessen the gap in my spade connectors, and 1 and 4 are solid again. 2 and 3 don't work.
    Performance Mods:[Steedspeed v2. Turbo Manifold] [Precision PTE CEA 5130 Turbo] [Pope 3-inch Downpipe] [Molnar Forged Rods] [Wiseco Forged Pistons (9.1:1)] [NSN Motorsports Thermal Intake Manifold Spacer] [Haltech E6X Stand Alone] [Haltech Boost Controller] [2007 WRX 565cc Dark Blue Injectors] [AEM UEGO 30-4100 Wideband O2 Sensor] [Vibrant 3-inch TurboBack Exhaust with Custom 3-inch mid Pipe] [ ACT Z66-XTSS Clutch] [Fidanza Flywheel] [Synapse Synchronic BOV] [AWR Motor Mounts] [PWR High Performance Radiator PWR1306] [Mazdaspeed Oil Cooler ] [Tein SS Coilover Suspension ] Other Mods: [Intel Atom-based Touchscreen Car PC] [Defi D-Series Boost Gauge] [Nordskog Digital Fuel and Oil Pressure Gauges] [Dave B. Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings]
    The things we own will eventually end up owning us one way or another....

Gothenburg Superiority Installshield 2's Avatar

Ever since I noticed mine being mainly a problem with extreme heat...it hasn't happened since...and I didn't change anything...It now will only blink on speed 2 when the cabin is roasted...within 5 minutes or so on speed 4, all other speeds stay solid...really weird, but this apparently will keep getting worse so color me concerned...still...
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2002 Protege5, JDM FS9 engine

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...-unit-revision
    this explains the "only blink on two" problem, hope this helps.

Registered Member

02 Mazda Protege5

Please respond...

When this post for fixing flickering light ob certain position first began, thsoe who completed this mod can say that the problem was FIXED?

Or should I just buy a new A/C Heater control unit?
    I recently purchased a 02 Protege5 that 1 & 4 works but blinks at times. When it works the air is cold as heck but wehn set to heat it just blows air.

Thank you
    Last edited by cbea1124; 03-19-2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: need answer...

03.5 msp #215

just did what the op said to do and my ac works in every position now. we will see if it lasts.
    2003.5 titanium msp: mam fmic, relocated maf, type 9 bov, dual display afr/boost gauge, instrument cluster single gauge pod, Dave b gauge rings, twm m1 abrams shift knob, 20% tint, D2 coilovers,6k hids, purple dress up bolts, Su front mount, exedy stage 1 clutch. Turbosmart boost controller, removed cats, 15mm front 8mm rear spacers, ssafc (custom tune), rsx radiator, 12" slim fans, weapon r coolant overflow tank.

2001 Mazda Protege ES 5-speed

Just did this fix. before it i only had ac on fan setting 1. been that way for a long time. the ac light now stays on with all 4 speeds. excellent, but now it doesn't blow cold. in fact its quite warm, no matter the temp setting. i looked under the dash and all the cables seem to be operating correctly. i tried charging the system with a can of freon(maybe it was too low) but it wouldn't take any.

this is irritating cuz at least i had cold air on one setting, now none. please help!

2001 Mazda Protege ES 5-speed

whoops, n/m. the temp cable had popped loose. im good!

Just had a very similar issue. No fan on 1, 2, 3. AC light on when switch is on 1, 2, 3, but no airflow. Setting 4 worked with fan, but no AC light and AC compressor disengaged.

Did fan connector trick, same BS. Pulled blower motor resistor, and there is a small little something-or-other that's soldered to the end of the plate that was half missing. Scraped off what was left of it (just looked like solder), fired up the soldering gun and laid down a jumper solder line between the two now exposed 'poles' on the resistor plate.

Put it all back together, everything works perfectly. Cost me 0 dollars and 0 cents. YMMV.

Registered Member

Iím having this issue but I canít find any pics/photos linked from the thread on how to remove the appropriate dash components out for this. Do I need to pull the radio? I tried pulling out one of the side panels near the floor and ended up cracking one and then realizing the part where the AC button is, is out of reach from the bottom anyway

Does anyone know how to access the wiring that I need to clean in order to get the AC to stop flickering?

Interestingly, a work around thatís working for me now is if I turn the AC off when switching fan modes and then turn it back on, it usually works.

black ops modifications.. AzteCypher's Avatar

2001 Mazda Protege LX

Here's a youtube video that can help - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC1R1lb0m5k.

Unfortunately all the pics on the links below are broken but perhaps reading through them will help as well. I do know that you can pull the top out a bit but you'll have to disconnect the physical cables from the control the a/c flap door.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...h-Trim-(Radio)
    https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...rol-Panel-LEDs

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789