Simple mods/upgrades

cantthinkof1

:
1999 Mazda Protege DX
Alright, so I got a hold of a 1999 DX for cheap. The problem being, it's a pretty soulless car, it almost wants to have pep but doesn't. So I was trying to figure out if there are any upgrades or mods that help boost performance somewhat?

I'll be cleaning the MAF and EGR valve soon enough. I heard that there has been an official recall on the MAF sensor too.

"07/25/2007 Mazda Motor of
America, Inc. Manufacturer recall/service bulletin issued
Recall #SSP56 1.6 ENG. MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR"

The stock airbox seems very restrictive. Is it worth it to remove the tubing leading up to the airbox, and just putting in a K&N drop in? Or would a conical intake work better?

Exhaust, I don't want to change the noise much, but I'll be getting emissions done shortly, so afterwards I'd like the put on a nice exhaust or catback that will free up some power. I don't want the fart can noise though, or anything really deep, because a somewhat quiet car is nice. Just something nice and simple really.

I'm not trying to make my car a race car, just make it a bit more bearable to drive. Any suggestions/tips/tricks will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

anything less than going turbo is a waste IMO

I think the warranty on the maf was extended to 7yr/70k, no longer valid.

Well, if anything aside from a turbo really is a waste, then I hope I win that protegegarage raffle lol. I was just driving around, and it feels like I almost have to floor it to keep up with the speed of traffic starting from a stoplight. But I'm definitely not going to drop $3k+ for a turbo setup, I'll just keep the car as is in that case lol.

i put a sebring exhaust on it, frees up more air and the noise is really low but nice, also iridium sparkplugs and NGK wires, the car goes alot faster now.. and tomorrow i'll do custom intake..

i put a sebring exhaust on it, frees up more air and the noise is really low but nice, also iridium sparkplugs and NGK wires, the car goes alot faster now.. and tomorrow i'll do custom intake..

Why are you using iridium plugs, what a waste of money. They dont do anything on a stock motor. You dont not even have a turbo or a built motor.

I been told that with NKG wires/and sparks plugs you get more response

All the iridium plugs really do is help improve the quality of spark and therefore, more efficient boom. Most effective under highly modified/boosted applications but on a stock motor, you just don't have to replace your plugs as often. (silly)

All the iridium plugs really do is help improve the quality of spark and therefore, more efficient boom. Most effective under highly modified/boosted applications but on a stock motor, you just don't have to replace your plugs as often. (silly)

you should change them about every 30k miles, cuz the car runs on the rich side. Well thats when i used to change them

basically.... headers, exhaust, intake, chip. that's about all you can ever hope for on an n/a car. you won't get much, and really it's not worth it... you could custom intake and exhaust for like 50 bucks though. (make an intake with a cone filter and tubing, then gut cats).

basically.... headers, exhaust, intake, chip. that's about all you can ever hope for on an n/a car. you won't get much, and really it's not worth it... you could custom intake and exhaust for like 50 bucks though. (make an intake with a cone filter and tubing, then gut cats).

i would like to buy a catback but its gonna sound loud and i don't want that.. same thing with headers, i just have a sebring muffler and it sounds really low deep.. so like i said if i put a catback is gonna be loud

btw cops here are a pain in your butt!!

To me, the only things I'm really looking to do to my car is mess with the intake and the exhaust. Nothing crazy, just those are always 2 areas where the car could use a little bit more. I'm really not trying to make a racecar out of a 105hp engine lol. Just trying to just make it a bit more well rounded of a car.

As with lilchild, I really don't want a deep/loud noise. Not because of the cops, just because I'm not a big fan of loud sound and no go. Its like those civics with fart cans, I don't want to look/sound like that. Just something thats a bit more bearable than the stock exhaust lol.

Modding this car isn't on the top of my list of things to do. If anything I'll end up doing a little intake modding and thats it lol.

header pretty much a waste if you dont have any headwork done. You can get a high flow cat. not much you can do, car is still gonna be a snail

Back