Switchblade Keyfob

MTV

:
2002 Proteg 5
My dad had his Acura TL key fob switched to a Switchblade type key at the local Acura dealer.

I was just wondering if Mazda could do the same thing. I've seen the switchblade key for some of the newer Mazdas so I'm sure it's possible.

Anyone have this done??

Matt

Somebody, maybe Ken from PG or bagman from onlinemazdaparts, looked into this. The actual key worked fine but the keyfob didn't. Whoever it was tested multiple Mazda switchblade keyfobs but none of them could lock/unlock the doors if I remember correctly. There was a huge thread on it.

You are correct, the key will work, but the keyless entry part will not. So as metion in the above post, you will have a very expensive switchblade key.

has anyone tried to swap the circuit boards?
i know that the one in the p5 keyfob comes out rather easily

i just found this on google
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/archive/topic/112356-1.html
they sell a switchblade key alarm system. the key is in the same button order as the p5 fob

not sure of a price though, but i will continue looking for other switchblade fobs

EDIT: land rover has one as well. no panic button though from what i can tell.

btw, im looking for ones that dont have the trunk release button

Last edited:
the keys will be super expensive

i had one for my 06 mazda6. it was 300 just to replace it.

if it was cheaper, it would be a nice novelty.

I thought the Mazda MPV keys would work(1999-2002)....hrm..You can get the keys rather inexpensively on ebay. That's where I got my replacement remotes...

the only "switchblade" style key that will work with the protege's is from the 2005 miata. part numbers are:
Key- G2YA762GXA
Remote- NE01675RYA

be prepared for the pricing, the two are about $200 for the set

the only "switchblade" style key that will work with the protege's is from the 2005 miata. part numbers are:
Key- G2YA762GXA
Remote- NE01675RYA

what does it look like?

eeb4_1.JPG

Key- G2YA762GXA
Remote- NE01675RYA

So are you saying the remote will unlock/lock the doors and panic button will work?

BUT, the part number for the remote is supposed to be the only one that will work with the protege.

Back