Paint peeling?

MMPC

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD
I've had my 7 for about a month now and noticed some black paint peeling behind the front valance. I took it to the dealer and they said it was just a "sealer" that they put on in Japan and it was normal for it to flake off over time. Is that accurate? Seems a bit cheap to me (and it looks bad) - but hey, anything is possible.

Has your CX7 experienced this as well?

front%20chip%20wide

front%20chip%20close

Go Back to the dealship and get that fixed. That is not normal. I work at a Mazda dealership and have never seen that on any vehicle. I also own two myself and that would never fly with me. The only "sealer" that they put on the car is clear and is put on the under-side only. There is no way other then driving it to get it to come off (and it smells bad) and it is gone after only 25 miles. What dealership did you go to?

Thanks for the response. Sill-TerHar is the dealership. And their bodyshop insisted this was "normal" for it to flake off during driving, car washes, etc. It sounds strange to me as well - and looks bad - but it's tough to argue with them when you have no ammunition to do so. What dealership do you work for - perhaps I should just bring it there... ;)

wow

tell that dealership to go F&^% themself lol. honestly tho, after 1 month that is downright unacceptable. The only thing ive ever seen close to that is the black coating on wiper blades coming/wearing off after like 150, 200K miles.

after 1 month!? no way, that shouldnt happen on that particular part period, plus, it looks horrible.(puke)

all u need to do is get a can of black spray paint....its not that serious something probably hit it while going down the road . the dealer is gonna charge u more then what it really cost...if u take it to the dealer ur a moron

Appreciate the replies, everyone. So I'm the only one with this issue, eh? Hmm. I'd do it myself but I don't know what's involved in removing the valance/grille and don't want to get in over my head (that's not a difficult prospect, trust me, lol). The black spray paint idea might work - but I'd be concerned about the overspray.

I get the distinct impression that the dealer just doesn't want to deal with this issue. Perhaps I'll call around to other dealers tomorrow and/or call Mazda customer service...

all u need to do is get a can of black spray paint....its not that serious something probably hit it while going down the road . the dealer is gonna charge u more then what it really cost...if u take it to the dealer ur a moron

Easy enough but why should he? Its under warranty. That's something I'd do outside of warranty.

If it's chipping because a rock hit it while going down the freeway then it isn't covered under warranty.

However, you dealer's excuse was LAME!!!!

I think in this case I'd just spend 15 minutes of my time spray painting this myself rather than the hours you KNOW it's gonna take at a dealer. This would definitely bother me too, but this particular item may be an easier, hassle-free fix in your own garage.

If it's chipping because a rock hit it while going down the freeway then it isn't covered under warranty.

However, you dealer's excuse was LAME!!!!

The dealer already admitted that its a "sealer" which in fact would be covered under the warranty since its part of the car. Whether a rock hit it or not , its not really their problem to figure that out. Regardelss, just never goto that dealer again lol.

if the krylon paint is to expensive for you then get the mal-mart 98 cent can...for that little spot there wont be alot of overspray

The dealer already admitted that its a "sealer" which in fact would be covered under the warranty since its part of the car. Whether a rock hit it or not , its not really their problem to figure that out. Regardelss, just never goto that dealer again lol.

Damage caused by driving the car is not covered under the warranty. The windshield is part of the car, but I wouldn't expect it to be covered under warranty if a rock put a chip in it while I was driving.

Damage caused by driving the car is not covered under the warranty. The windshield is part of the car, but I wouldn't expect it to be covered under warranty if a rock put a chip in it while I was driving.

no kidding. im saying the dealer inferred it was warranty work because they said it was the sealer on the part coming off- the guy never said anything about a rock.

Just paint it. I mean really...if you are argueing over something like this with the dealer you need a life.

Don't have any reason to suspect a rock - but don't have any proof it wasn't one either. As for arguing with my dealer, that hasn't occurred as of yet (it's why I put this post up in the first place - to see if I should be arguing). It seems the easiest, most efficient thing is for me to just paint it. One question remains, however. How does the grille come off - anyone know? If it requires the front bumper come off, then I'm way out of my league.

Back