Engine Swap

Eric187

:
07 Mazda 5 (With 2X 7 inch.t.v lcd monitor)
Hi
I'm new and i just wanna know if somebody know if Mazda have made an another engine will fit on a mazda 5 2007.Like the 2.0 T in U.K or in other country.

Thanks

P.S. Sorry for my English.

The Mazda5 is sold with a 1.8L, 2.0L or 2.3L gasoline engine or a 2.0L diesel engine, depending on what country you live in. The 2.3L has the most performance, and the 2.0L diesel has the best fuel economy.

If you want to engine swap, swap a 2.3 DISI Turbo from a Mazdaspeed3 (evil) (I'm speculating, this has never been attempted in a Mazda5 yet to my knowledge... might not even fit with the Top Mount Intercooler).

(usa)Oh, and you're English is quite good. Certainly better than my French!(canada)

The Mazda5 is sold with a 1.8L, 2.0L or 2.3L gasoline engine or a 2.0L diesel engine, depending on what country you live in. The 2.3L has the most performance, and the 2.0L diesel has the best fuel economy.

If you want to engine swap, swap a 2.3 DISI Turbo from a Mazdaspeed3 (evil) (I'm speculating, this has never been attempted in a Mazda5 yet to my knowledge... might not even fit with the Top Mount Intercooler).

(usa)Oh, and you're English is quite good. Certainly better than my French!(canada)

I'm sure you could fab up a front mount. Mazda said they designed the DISI turbo motor with a top mount so they could fit it in various cars.... I'll have to look under my hood but I think there should be enough room to fit it in without hitting the cowl or the hood (without a hood scoop like the 3 or 6), maybe someone with alot more money and time than any of us will try it someday.

we have a customer in canada who is saying he will donate his 5 if we can do the DISI swap for him. honestly i think you're better suited to tossing a HiBoost kit for the 2.3 on it and not f**king with the fuel system and yanking a perfectly good engine out of it.

If you can find a complete enough MS6 or 3 in the junkyard you won't have many fuel system issues. Talking out of my a$$ here, but all you'll need is the in take fuel pump, since the high pressure pump is mounted ON the DISI motor. Assuming you get the motor complete, all you need to do is run a standalone or somehow splice in the DISI motor's ECU and you're good to go. Eh, after you cross several MINOR hurdles, right? :D

Do we have a turbo'd 5 yet? It's on my "to do" list. I'd like to figure out the best route to go. I figure I can modify an M3 kit.

we have a customer in canada who is saying he will donate his 5 if we can do the DISI swap for him. honestly i think you're better suited to tossing a HiBoost kit for the 2.3 on it and not f**king with the fuel system and yanking a perfectly good engine out of it.

If you can find a complete enough MS6 or 3 in the junkyard you won't have many fuel system issues. Talking out of my a$$ here, but all you'll need is the in take fuel pump, since the high pressure pump is mounted ON the DISI motor. Assuming you get the motor complete, all you need to do is run a standalone or somehow splice in the DISI motor's ECU and you're good to go. Eh, after you cross several MINOR hurdles, right? :D
If you find a MS3 in the junkyard, wouldn't you be able to take everything and switch it over to the 5...including the ECU?

The engine will fit fine. The speed3 has a taller hood with ducting to fit the topmount. You would find it easier to just swap in themotor and put a frontmount on it instead. You'd have more problems with the engine fuel system though than anything else. The speed3 direct injection uses fuel pressure at a very very very high level with an engine driven injection pump.
I don't know if it uses a higher line pressure from the tank or not. If you swapped the computer, engine, and wiring harness then it may work out if the fuel line pressures are the same.
I personally wouldn't care about the same engine I'd just like the six speed MTX and just put a turbo on the stock 2.3L engine.
It could easily support the same basic horsepower as the speed3 though it may not be able to go higher than that.....but then who needs more than 240wHP in a mazda5?

I swapped an 08 mazda 3 2.0 L motor with a 07 mazda 5 2.3, I have one major problem, it won't crank or start...it is only firing on 2 cylinders out of 4. I kept the 2.3 ECU, expecting it would run the 2.0. What is the problem?

I've also visit German Mazda(5) forums and it looks as if the Diesel should be avoided for maintenance and reliability reasons.
Compared to the 2.3l, the Diesel has MUCH more torque to offer, for everyday driving, it likely is the more powerful engine - unless you want to rev more every time you want power.

.....but then who needs more than 240wHP in a mazda5?
Well... (attn)

If I recall correctly one magazine did a swap mazdaspeed into mazda 5 and their conclusion was they would not do it again.
Basically everything is different from tranny to drive axels to cooling. You basically need a donor speed and remove all including electronics and gauge cluster and mount it into Mazda 5.
It is not an easy or a cheap undertaking. Wonder if it would be cheaper to take mazda 3 speed, cut behind the front seats and weld the 5 rear end onto it (stooges)

If I recall correctly one magazine did a swap mazdaspeed into mazda 5 and their conclusion was they would not do it again.
Basically everything is different from tranny to drive axels to cooling. You basically need a donor speed and remove all including electronics and gauge cluster and mount it into Mazda 5.
It is not an easy or a cheap undertaking. Wonder if it would be cheaper to take mazda 3 speed, cut behind the front seats and weld the 5 rear end onto it (stooges)

Yes it was done by Car and Driver or Road and Track, can't recall at the moment. Was a interesting project, and the car even appeared for sale on EBAY. If I recall, it was a large dealer in the Chicago area that assisted as well.

Latest posts

Back