MS P for Rallycross

dirtdog

Has anyone rallycrossed the MS Protege? I have narrowed my search down
to 2004 Sentra SE R, Focus SVT or the MS P, all have power, LSD, about the same weight, I'am leaning toward the Mazda, any idea's? I will be competing in the SCCA stock class.

weld the diff. Other than that, it's got a solid chassis. Go nuts, and I guarantee there'll be a TON of folks drooling over pics ;) I'd love to see it!

i found this picture last night on nasioc, no idea who it is. i would say get some different tires and it'd be great based on how it handled in the snow for me

IMG_0923copy.jpg

:) that looks like a blast! I haven't ever rallycrossed but I have some friends who live in the country up in Polk county, NC and we used to take turns driving my old car around on the dirt roads fast as we could. If I had another car that I didn't mind beating up on dirt roads I would be into rallycross.

I think the MSP would be a sweet rally cross car, eccept that it's too pretty to be in the dirt.

If your looking for a MSP that's stock, I have mine up for sale on the sccaforums. I'd hate to see my car get dirty though.

Maybe it was just because of my tires, but I haven't really had that much 'good' experiance with the MSP in snow. Though maybe with the right tires and suspension, could be fun.

My only question though, is how well can the FWD MSP compete aganst AWD vehicles?

I don't believe it would be classed w/ the awd cars in SCCA rally cross, so that's really irrelevant

Sorry, not too familiar with rallycross rules/classes... Haven't encountered too much of it up here.

Maybe it was just because of my tires, but I haven't really had that much 'good' experiance with the MSP in snow. Though maybe with the right tires and suspension, could be fun.
what tires do you run? you have to run winter tires with it or at the very least a winter-focused all season. anything summer only, like the stock tires, or a performance all season won't work well. i ran nokia hakka q's on mine and it was great

Was just the O.E. tires when I was living in New York. Went from a Subaru Legacy to my MSP... hugh winter change.

And I've discovered a Rallycross event eairly next month up here. Any ideas for car setup? Or just treat it like a Solo II event and try to have fun?

My only question though, is how well can the FWD MSP compete aganst AWD vehicles?
I don't believe it would be classed w/ the awd cars in SCCA rally cross, so that's really irrelevant
Last time I looked into it, they generally split the cars into 4 classes:
2WD stock
2WD Mod
4WD stock
4WD mod/open

This is from memory, and it's been a while, so don't hold it against me if I'm off a bit!

And I've discovered a Rallycross event eairly next month up here. Any ideas for car setup? Or just treat it like a Solo II event and try to have fun?

Treat it like your first Solo II event, only add in the fear of destroying your car! Take it slow, recognize that you don't know what you're doing, and that the penalties for screwing up may be way higher than they ever have been before. The first event is a learning experience, not a competition! ;)

Don't think, BTW that I'm trying to scare you out of this, frankly, the danger to your car varies wildly depending on how they set up events where you live. I've heard of SCCA rallycrosses being held in a gravel parking lot, so the risk was no greater than that of a Solo II event, but in the D.C. Region it was done on a dirt track someone cut into a field on their farm, and while it was a nice wide, smooth dirt road, in accordance with SCCA rules, if you went at it too hard and too fast, you could potentially leave the road surface, and then all bets are off!

So, do it. Have fun, just be careful.

Do you have a video camera set up for your car? Or a cameraman to take pics/video of your car in action? If so, please post them up!

Rally classes:

Stock Rear Wheel Drive (SR)
Stock Front Wheel Drive (SF)
Stock All Wheel Drive (SA)

Prepared Rear Wheel Drive (PR)
Prepared Front Wheel Drive (PF)
Prepared All Wheel Drive (PA)

Modified Two Wheel Drive (M2)
Modified All Wheel Drive (M4)

Back