The "What mods for a daily driven MSP?" Guide Thread

people take the grille off so everyone can see their big intercooler. there are alot that fit with the stock set up.

just get a fmic after you pay for the smic,hard pipes,and bov you will be at the price of a fmic

but if ur just stating at 7-9 psi, and daily driving, the fmic isnt worth it. youll get better throttle response out of the smic.

if hes goin for top end highway runs at 10psi then yea i agree. it all depends on the goals.

as said. your mods support high hp but you want to keep the sidemount? bad idea.

your way above the scope of this thread.. get out ofhere ;) j/k

but yea u will want a front mount for the goals you have in mind.

OK so I got forged internals CP 9:1 pistons, pauter rods, ARP studs, awr deep sump oil pan, exedy stage 1 clutch, su motor mounts, su hardpipes, ported and polished head with 3 angle valve job, boost/vac guage, oil pressure gauge.

Gonna order upgraded sidemount, vibrant j-pipe back exhaust, injen CAI, unichip.

My question being, what is the max PSI i can run on the sidemount?
I plan on getting a custom unichip tune using the built in elctronic boost controller, and my goal is 225-250whp.
How realistic is this with what i have and if not what would i need?
i.e. intake mani?

I thought I read somewhere that the Turbohoses SMIC/hardpipes can handle over 10psi... Does anybody else know about this?

I thought I read somewhere that the Turbohoses SMIC/hardpipes can handle over 10psi... Does anybody else know about this?

yea it can probably handle 20psi physically.

however the location is really bad. look where it is. theres almost NO airflow. So its going to do you no good in higher pressure situations/ racing applications

For a daily driver though, it seems like it would probably be one of the best SMIC upgrades, right?

For a daily driver though, it seems like it would probably be one of the best SMIC upgrades, right?

right. daily driver 10 psi or less its fine. your not going to heat soak it like a stock smic. but if u race or run more boost (more heat), its not going to get the air it needs to do the job.

right. daily driver 10 psi or less its fine. your not going to heat soak it like a stock smic. but if u race or run more boost (more heat), its not going to get the air it needs to do the job.
Would you happen to know how the Turbohoses SMIC compares to the CustomMSP SMIC? They all claim to flow better than the competitors... I've searched and haven't really found an answer.

either one is good. I heard the customMSP's core is bigger than the turbohoses. I have the customMSP and I love it. you notice the difference after install and I never heatsoak anymore.

indeed, i had the custommsp one too. ive heard the same, thats its bigger, however the v2 turbohoses is supposed to be nice too.

Well the main reason I was leaning towards the Turbohoses V2 is their dyno proven gains are from a stock MSP with just the SMIC and hardpipes, 17.11hp & 10.83ft. lbs. torque at 5psi (stock boost is about 6psi, right?).
The CustomMSP gains are 20hp and 15ft. lbs. torque, but it doesn't say if that's from stock or with other upgrades as well, like exhaust, intake, etc.

I just want to upgrade my daily driver, I don't have super high power goals. Just want to keep it simple and reliable.

Well the main reason I was leaning towards the Turbohoses V2 is their dyno proven gains are from a stock MSP with just the SMIC and hardpipes, 17.11hp & 10.83ft. lbs. torque at 5psi (stock boost is about 6psi, right?).
The CustomMSP gains are 20hp and 15ft. lbs. torque, but it doesn't say if that's from stock or with other upgrades as well, like exhaust, intake, etc.

I just want to upgrade my daily driver, I don't have super high power goals. Just want to keep it simple and reliable.

CustomMSP is about half the price. <5 HP can't really be felt by driver.

Just saying........

If you are in the 7-10 psi range on a daily driver (daily driver being commute or spirited runs here and there), then a FMIC in my opinion isnt warranted. You will give up throttle response and for what my guide is aimed for we want that low end pep that makes the car fun. I know people will argue that theres hardly any difference, but there is. Ive had both so i can say.

If u want to do highway top end runs, and race it on weekends then yea fmic is good. but i think your like me and want it like i do.

with my fmic i could notice a little bit of a slower pull (under 3.5 grand) than with out the fmic but im telling you man she screams like a mad man up top. it really opened up the last digits on the tac. it also made the car pull smooth toward redline.

but besides a fmic looks way cooler than a smic. :D

Right i agree but the turbo we have stock isnt made for a bunch of up top power so the smic compliments it better. I think a fmic is better suited for what you said, up top power, but on a daily driver on the street, i prefer the low end.

it all depends on application.

well see i agree with you but tonny you have to admit that these cars do not have good traction, they tend to spin so what is the point of spinning? so i thought of this and this is one of the reasons i went with a fmic is to get rid of the wheel spin in low gears and add the power were i can use it cause we all know that spinning is a waste of hp!

but then if you are spinning you have a better chance of not breaking somthing.

but i agree for a DD a smic would be better than a fmic, cause a DD isnt going to be out racing like you said.

Last edited:
Back