The "What mods for a daily driven MSP?" Guide Thread

Hey, im new to here, Im planning on buying a mazdaspeed protege in about a week and have been looking up stuff about it, ive done some reading about what I can do to get a little more hp outa the car, after i buy the car i will be broke for the most part, so im looking for saving up and buying the mods and getting them installed in bulk to hopefully save labor costs. My first car i was thinking about buying was the wrx at around 220hp, so i thought i could have some mods to the protege to reach around there.!

-The mods that i have thought about getting are;
custommsp SMIC, WeaponR Hard Pipe kit(couldn't find Turbohoses), Injen Intake, AWR front/rear mounts, split second..controller!

Good Choices if you do it all at once. If you do it out of order thats fine too but you seem to have the bases covered(besides exhaust but thats below). Feel free to add shifter bushings they take the slop out of the stock shifter. they can be found at corksport. If you plan on tuning it yourself then get a wideband 02 gauge.

As far as exhaust I looked at the corksport or thermal catback, not sure which one is a little quieter but has same power.!

If you are looking for a great quiet vs power ratio. Get the corksport exhaust and corksport J pipe. Use your stock axelback(muffler portion). Thats what i use and my car has plenty of pep. If you need the extra hp and dont mind the noise you can always put the CS axelback on.

As far as boost gauges and controllers im not sure to get the electronic controller combo or if it is cheaper to get the manual controller then a gauge,(plan on running around 8psi)!

Thats really preference. If your only running 8 then manual might be the way to go since you wont really need all the other features of a more expensive unit. JoeP makes a really nice unit.

Make sure you have all your other mods before upping the boost. A boost gauge will become an invaluble tool for finding leaks and other issues. I certainly recomend one.

and is a turbotimer something i should get as one of the first things? or even at all. !

No. Theres no need. People will argue this but for OUR car, its a waste of money. Just stay out of boost for 30 secs or so before you turn off the car (very easy). The water cooled turbo will do the rest. The only time this would benefit is if you hit teh track alot and dont feel like waiting it out.

and will a BOV complicate everything?!

It will unless you run a dual setup. To me unless you MUST have the noise its not worth it. Theres no performance benefit. If you really want one, the best way is to run a dual setup (running a BPV and a BOV), but that requires more work and fabrication. You can search DUAL SETUP on here for MSP's

Anyways i know this is a lot but i dont really know to much about cars and mods ect.. my main goal is the have around 200-225hp with the bolt on mods, keeping it on the cheaper side and easy to use so i dont have to worry about my car in everyday driving.
sorry for the wall of text, but any info would be great, btw great thread!

Hope this helps.

Terbow, great idea for a thread, I realize it's been here a while, but I guess this is the first time I've noticed it.

You didn't mention any suspension upgrades, so I'll throw my $.02 in:

Eibach Pro-kit springs are a nice daily driver spring, and they work well with MSP struts. I've got this combo on our P5 and I had the stock MSP setup on my sedan and I'd say that with these progressive springs there's little to no degradation of comfort and yet they tighten up the handling at the limits.

They of course lower the car a bit, (1.4/1.8 inch, according to the spring thread) which should please the people I've seen complaining on here that the stock MSP suspension sits too high for their taste. I don't find it to be too much of a drop, I have to slow down and take some really steep driveways at an angle, but the driveways I'm talking about are a challenge to a lot of cars in stock form!

To me, they're the perfect DD "compromise" springs.

None of this is new info, of course, I just thought it might fit well in the Daily Driver MSP thread, especially for teh n3wbz! ;)

Last edited:
Thank you kind sir. I didnt touch to much on it cause I only have springs done and i find the MSP suspension to be REALLY good for a production car. Plus adding coilovers makes it really stiff so i find it uncomfortable for the daily driver. However im always open to suggestions.

I have falken springs and i love them.

Thanks for the input its greatly appreciated.

Terbow, great idea for a thread, I realize it's been here a while, but I guess this is the first time I've noticed it.

You didn't mention any suspension upgrades, so I'll throw my $.02 in:

Eibach Pro-kit springs are a nice daily driver spring, and they work well with MSP struts. I've got this combo on our P5 and I had the stock MSP setup on my sedan and I'd say that with these progressive springs there's little to no degradation of comfort and yet they tighten up the handling at the limits.

They of course lower the car a bit, (1.4/1.8 inch, according to the spring thread) which should please the people I've seen complaining on here that the stock MSP suspension sits too high for their taste. I don't find it to be too much of a drop, I have to slow down and take some really steep driveways at an angle, but the driveways I'm talking about are a challenge to a lot of cars in stock form!

To me, they're the perfect DD "compromise" springs.

None of this is new info, of course, I just thought it might fit well in the Daily Driver MSP thread, especially for teh n3wbz! ;)

I've read that the Falken springs are the Eibach Pro-kits, essentially. I know they're made by Eibach, but I can't remember if they're exactly the same spec. :D

I didnt touch to much on it cause I only have springs done and i find the MSP suspension to be REALLY good for a production car.

That's funny how it can beat highly modded cars in time attack and corners in general but the suspension creaks like a mofo. I have "18 wheels with about 3/4 inch clearance and the only time anything rubs is when I turn hard right the left rear wheel rubs on the fender

Awesome!, thanks a lot guys, it was just what I was looking for about where to go with all of this, I will definitely be checking back when i get further along in the process. (cool)

I've read that the Falken springs are the Eibach Pro-kits, essentially. I know they're made by Eibach, but I can't remember if they're exactly the same spec. :D

Indeed. I couldnt say if they are either. But i know theyre nice and not to bouncy.

no. it just takes some practice.

Basically you have a table with RPM vs PSI, and whereever your wideband or datalogs say your off, you adjust the groupings of numbers. The hardest part is getting it smooth, but since the map thats on there is pretty good, you just change them in groups (like all the 9.5's to 9.6's) etc.

so this is something that has to be done while on your car right? I couldnt send it to get programed with my mods and just plug in. Im thinking about getting it over the unichip because its cheaper and does a great job leaning out the AFR's so you wont run rich. also helps with bogging/hesitation correct?

so this is something that has to be done while on your car right? I couldnt send it to get programed with my mods and just plug in. Im thinking about getting it over the unichip because its cheaper and does a great job leaning out the AFR's so you wont run rich. also helps with bogging/hesitation correct?

yea it has to be on the car. the map that comes on it is pretty damn good actually. so you might only need minor tweeks. plus u can do it yourself. if u get unichip i guarentee it wont run well untill you get it tuned for your car. each car is different.

Ok, Ive been looking for some exhausts and had missed the "race use only" on the corksport power series. Just wondering if there is another exhaust package that will keep it street legal for the most part, so far i was thinking something around the lines of the Corksport Downpipe(the same as a Jpipe?) the SLS Midpipes with the high flow catalytic option(first found of the website) and im pretty sure im missing something else, but not sure what, or where to find it so that I can fit them all together, i have checked corksport.com but only found the same "power package", would I be able to use the 3" vibrant turbo back exhaust with the stock axelback or something like that? anyways some examples of a setup that works well would be great
-also that JoeP MBC, anywebsites to get those at?, couldn't find them anywhere

Last edited:
Ok, Ive been looking for some exhausts and had missed the "race use only" on the corksport power series. Just wondering if there is another exhaust package that will keep it street legal for the most part, so far i was thinking something around the lines of the Corksport Downpipe(the same as a Jpipe?) the SLS Midpipes with the high flow catalytic option(first found of the website) and im pretty sure im missing something else, but not sure what, or where to find it so that I can fit them all together, i have checked corksport.com but only found the same "power package", would I be able to use the 3" vibrant turbo back exhaust with the stock axelback or something like that? anyways some examples of a setup that works well would be great
-also that JoeP MBC, anywebsites to get those at?, couldn't find them anywhere

www.protegegarage.com has midpipe replacements that are either catless or have the cat, they are also reasonably priced. that with a new s pipe and jpipe and the stock exhaust will keep you street legal (find out if your state requires a cat) and will still have the performance of a complete system changeout

there's also the BKR7E's for near stock boost, or the ZFR7FS for 1 step colder (9-10psi) - both are NGK.

i looked for these plugs and i couldnt find them is that the part # I went to and they didnt reconize the # at mazda and the part stores so i got ngk platinum what do you recomend for gaping

i looked for these plugs and i couldnt find them is that the part # I went to and they didnt reconize the # at mazda and the part stores so i got ngk platinum what do you recomend for gaping

thats the ngk number not mazdas/part store number. They should be able to cross reference them though. i use .30 for gap.

OK so I got forged internals CP 9:1 pistons, pauter rods, ARP studs, awr deep sump oil pan, exedy stage 1 clutch, su motor mounts, su hardpipes, ported and polished head with 3 angle valve job, boost/vac guage, oil pressure gauge.

Gonna order upgraded sidemount, vibrant j-pipe back exhaust, injen CAI, unichip.

My question being, what is the max PSI i can run on the sidemount?
I plan on getting a custom unichip tune using the built in elctronic boost controller, and my goal is 225-250whp.
How realistic is this with what i have and if not what would i need?
i.e. intake mani?

ummm alot of ppl heat soak the upgraded sidemount at 10 psi with back to back runs. with all the money sorry to say it but your basically just half assin it by getting a smic.get a fmic and do it right

what fmic's allow you to keep the stock grills in the MSP and have fogs? i see lots of people with fmic's that always have to remove the stock grills that come on their cars (any car, not just msp's) is the advantage that much compared to the smic if you are doing daily driving

perrin,mam,ion,turbo life,hiboost all allow you to keep the lip and or fogs. most ppl that have taken the fogs or lip out like my self are running custom kits. i for one will be putting my msp lip back on when i get the turbo life kit.

Back