The "What mods for a daily driven MSP?" Guide Thread

What AFC did do you recommend from Split Second. I emailed them in hopes of finding what specific application to use but no response yet. I was looking at getting the unichip but these look much cheaper and im only looking to run 8-10psi

Ok im pretty new to this and I have a question. My stock intercooler piping has a crack so i need to get that fixed, but i want to get an entire new setup. I want a FMIC. I love the way they look. My car is stock, can i do this? i was looking at the CX racing kit. Is this good? also it comes with a BOV but will that mess up my car? I have read that you can run a BOV and a BPV at the same time so how would I do that?

Help

ya mine as well, I have the step colder plugs and I run 8psi in the colder months and 10 psi(it's around 9.7-10psi) during the summer, and don't up the boost until you have everything else and the ssafc/wideband O2 sensor..(and ya I would start out at 8psi in the beginning, and once you figure out how to tune the car with the ssafc and get more comfortable with it, go to 9psi, and if you really know how to work with the tune and don't mind pushing the limits and if need be buying another block you could do 10psi, but I would say that 9psi is very close to 10psi and your "safer" overall, so 9 would be a good number.

and yes for $750 you can get a FMIC for much much cheaper, I have been looking around lately, and if you order your own pipes, there is ebay for the Rx kit or something like that (look on wagonbacker9's sig or here lol http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123759220) and the ebay kit he ordered is generally this one (read the thread I just posted first so you understand what your ordering) http://motors.shop.ebay.com/cxracing/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

and then this is the place where you can get some good random parts if you need them left over http://www.siliconeintakes.com/

and really if you take the time to map out how you want your kit to run, don't mind making some smalll adjustments to the kit (as you can see in the thread, the hot pipe side has bad routing, if you take your bumper off you can make it work a little better, there are better routes, and you shouldn't need to take out your windshield washer reservoir either to make it work, but that is the route I plan on taking sometime in the near future once I get an actual job and am outa school.. I'll be saving up to get some forged internals/gt28rs/FMIC kit and a steedspeed exhaust mani, and prob. an upgraded radiator/slimfans and prob. an upgraded oil cooler... hmm and mine as well go for some upgrades gears and welded lsd in the tranny and stage 2 clutch lol although I was planning on waiting till my clutch went but if/when I do the engine rebuild, I mine as well do the clutch and tranny stuff too..

but anys that's my route, and can't wait till I get the money lol, but after the amount of money I spent on the hardpipes and smic (which I love don't get me wrong, I just have bigger plans now) the FMIC now would be much much cheaper (the WeaponR kit you NEED to replace the couplers and clamps with T bolt clamps, so for me, I ordered the vibrant couplers which was about $80-100 extra for me then the T bolt clamps for the intake and hardpipes was another $60 or so for me, so that is way over the amount for pipes just for the weaponR kit, other than that I love it, the couplers and clamps it comes with though is s***, don't even drive with them on.. at all, that is how I fried my O2 sensor (the hotpipe coupler blew off and overheated/literally fried my primary O2 sensor, while driving up the road after the install....)

so overall, if you don't mind to customize your ride a little.. and don't worry about the tools, I highly recommend starting to collect some because if you have them and can work on your car yourself, you will save lots and lots of money in the long run, this car needs that kind of attention generally, and I really don't like other people working on my car after I started to do my own work and seeing that usually the mechanics take shortcuts a lot.. which I don't blame them, it's not their car...they just need money.

so overall, get the FMIC, do it yourself, you won't regret it, at least not after you have it all done if you do it right... you might get frustrated but that happens with anything you install (even with my smic/hardpipe kit install, things are a pain to start putting into the stock car, like those damn plastic pipes lol) then get yourself a wideband O2 sensor and SSAFC and you can order the Jpipe section too (I HIGHLY recommend saving the money up, and ordering as much as you can from PG at once, if you pm ken and talk to him BEFORE you order it, he will almost always cut you a good deal, I wish I had known this instead of just ordering everything right away lol) at least for the SSAFC v2/O2 sensor, get the AEM one/boost gauge, the a pillar gauge pod if you want that(I like mine a lot), and the midpipe section.. the FMIC order/make yourself

hopefully that should pretty much give you a good headstart on anything and kinda lay it out for you, and like I said if you take the time and do it right your won't regret it in the end, get the tools, you will learn quickly, and unless you have a buddy that is planning on helping you install, the money you'll pay for someone else to have it done, could just have been used to buy yourself a good set of tools..

and as far as I am on the topic of tools, my dad bought me my tool set so I didn't use all of his since his are also really unorganized, but also the jack stands and jack, they are pretty cheap these days, but I also use 2 um.. I think they are like 8"X8" beams that I had left over and cut them into 1ft logs and nailed 2 together to form a sturdy "jack stand" I use those when I need all 4 sides up, but I also use the 2 jack stands on either corner just for tripple/extra safety lol although I don't anticipate solid wood beams to crumble anytime soon lol

well that's all for now lol, I like to be thorough

Hey im about to order a FMIC and it comes with a BOV. i dont want to screw up my car and I have read that you can run a BOV and a BPV. Do you know anything about doing this?

Try posting a new thread, most people buy the ebay FMIC setup and custom fit the piping. You can run whatever BOV you like but a real, name brand BOV will function, sound and hold up better than a knockoff. Don't worry about the stock BPV if you run an aftermarket BOV, just relocate the MAF sensor to the cold pipe after the BOV.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123759220-How-To-Ebay-FMIC

Ok so I can take the BPV out completely? And I would buy one off of Ebay but i dont have tools to bend the pipes if I need to.

The pipes are already bent you just cut whatever shape you need and you can order couplers with different bends in them if you need.

lets get a new list going.

I second that

Oh ok, and would these work with my stock air intake?

technically yes, but practically no. lol

Meaning, if you get a FMIC, you need to run piping.. and if your gonna do that, you might as well get a BOV and relocate the MAF.. and if your gonna do THAT, why would you leave that black, plastic airbox?

You definitely wanna go ahead and run at least a 2.5" pipe to a pod filter for your intake.. and since you are doing all that, you're gonna want to know how much boost your making.. so you're gonna want to get a boost gauge, and if you do that, you might as well get a proper vacuum block and replace all the vacuum lines so you don't end up chasing old lines for leaks. At that point, you're gonna want to cool it all off properly, so your gonna want to pull the SMIC off, and replace that whole radiator setup with the Mishimoto.

You don't HAVE to do that stuff, and you COULD use the stock airbox...it probably won't line up to the bolt holes anymore though (like my half assed current setup).

But if you are gonna do a FMIC, you probably should do all the other things I just mentioned.

I will have pics of exactly all this work in a week or two, because I just listed exactly what I am actually gonna do. But its all been done over the last 11 years this cars been out. And you can find it all on here. We are pretty late to this party.. lol

Last edited:
Ok im pretty new to this and I have a question. My stock intercooler piping has a crack so i need to get that fixed, but i want to get an entire new setup. I want a FMIC. I love the way they look. My car is stock, can i do this?

a temporary solution to your problem if the crack is in your cold pipe.. (also the cheapest fix possible) If you order your FMIC kit, you can fix this problem with a couple of pipes from the kit (and reuse it later) just until you get the rest of the stuff you need / time to install it all

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123848722-1289-A-story-of-rebirth/page7

Last edited:
a temporary solution to your problem if the crack is in your cold pipe.. (also the cheapest fix possible) If you order your FMIC kit, you can fix this problem with a couple of pipes from the kit (and reuse it later) just until you get the rest of the stuff you need / time to install it all

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123848722-1289-A-story-of-rebirth/page7

That was super helpful. Thanks man! and ok but I dont have the money to upgrade everything at once so im going to have to go project by project. I want to fix the intercooler. Then fix the clunk coming from the rear and find the rattle in the engine bay lol.

So if its just the pipe and not the intercooler itself, you can fix that for probably $40 or $50 worth of pipes and couplers.

I just want to do the FMIC. Does anyone know if the Cxracing kit works well with our cars? will i have to remove anything from my engine bay to make it it?

I just want to do the FMIC. Does anyone know if the Cxracing kit works well with our cars? will i have to remove anything from my engine bay to make it it?
I have the cxracing kit fits well , good gains and almost no fabrication on your part.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Back