CX-9 "a real head banger"

6'9" and I guess I am just used to compensating for my size.

Funny...I'm Six Nine and my vehicle is CX-9...!

easy... short people have seats moved up closer to the steering wheel hence the sloping A pillar, whereas tall people have the seats moved back where it's not sloping. Hence head banging for shorter people. Having said that, I'm 5'6" and have not had 1 single head bang on the A pillar neither has my wife who is even shorter. I guess we just don't drive w/ the steering wheel on our face : )

Drivers seat no, tailgate often, and it does hurt...6'4"

On the passenger side, wife no, but a couple of my....(mj) just kidding. :p

I'm 5'10 and have yet to hit my head. I didn't even notice the problem till my engineering coworker hit his head getting into the passenger going out to lunch. I think it has to do with the drivers seat ability to lower?? Its either that or just being "aware" to duck your head.

I believe it is a combo of two factors. One, like stated above the passenger seat is not adjustable up and down, and two, most people are used to getting out of vehicles by leaning forward. The only problem with this is that the window slopes downward at a fast angle and you will catch your head on it.

When we first got our CX9, I had the same problem. I lowered the seat position a little.....and no more problem!

I'm 6'1". Only problem I have is on the back hatch corners like a few others have reported.

I am 6'1" too and every other time I hit the rear hatch gate corners like you. I understand that this hatch gate is a larger piece but wish it can be programmed to adjust the "height"

Also, gas pedal and brake pedal have unsual spacing between them. Does anybody think that, too?

No kidding, this is one of my biggest complaint about the CX-9. The brake padel engagement is really bad almost like a two-step brake. The first two inches of brake is to turn it on and there is a click then you can actually brake...(hand)

I am 6'1" too and every other time I hit the rear hatch gate corners like you. I understand that this hatch gate is a larger piece but wish it can be programmed to adjust the "height"

No kidding, this is one of my biggest complaint about the CX-9. The brake padel engagement is really bad almost like a two-step brake. The first two inches of brake is to turn it on and there is a click then you can actually brake...(hand)

6' 00" here...or at least the two step mode that my old Mazda5 had, where the hatch would stop a the predetermined location and if you needed it a little bit higher, you can push it up another 2 to 3"

I think he meant the spacing between the gas pedal and the brake pedal. Which btw, if you think the CX-9 is bad in this sector...try driving a Mazda5 to see what the spacing is between these two pedals!

Head Banger

Our 09 cx9 is fantastic! Our problem is with the passenger side seat height! Everyone who gets in on that side hits their head! Seat doesn't have any more travel downward so I guess the wise old Mazda engineers were desgining for their own, shorter population rather than for a world-wide marketplace of slightly taller folks. Anyway, we now announce to anyone getting into that seat to "watch your head" just like when the cops tell their prisoners to do when they are put into the back seat of a patrol car.

When you get in try approaching farther back in the door so that your head is not directly above the pillar. Also try putting one leg in fist and then slide the rest of your body in slightly bent backwards.

Then start the ignition and drive hard. (drive2)

The passenger side is definitely a head banger. We're average height about 5' 10" and 6' but still hit our heads when we're not mindful of it. sometimes, i feel like painting the rubber seal bright orange or putting some caution tape so that it stands out.

I've gotten somewhat accustomed to the problem of hitting the roof. It's the fact that the upper corner of the door it's self strikes me at exactly nose level that worrys me the most. I have yet to have it pop me, but as clumsy as I am, it will happen.

Our 09 cx9 is fantastic! Our problem is with the passenger side seat height! Everyone who gets in on that side hits their head! Seat doesn't have any more travel downward so I guess the wise old Mazda engineers were desgining for their own, shorter population rather than for a world-wide marketplace of slightly taller folks. Anyway, we now announce to anyone getting into that seat to "watch your head" just like when the cops tell their prisoners to do when they are put into the back seat of a patrol car.

Agree 100%. Mine feels like the passenger front seat is tilted forward and gives the feeling you're going to side to the floor with any stiff braking. The wife has taken to riding in the rear seat on any longer trips.

Anyone have any tips on raising the seat front? Are the seat mounting bolts accessible such that they can be loosened and a spacer(s) could be slid in?
Assuming this would tilt the seat back some. Enough????

Back