Who thinks the MS3's suspension is stiff?

javanc

:
Silver MS3
Ive been reading some reviews of the car on various auto sites. I keep seeing people complain of hard or stiff suspension (apparently a few Evo and STI drivers think so too). I must be nuts because to me the suspension is a little soft. After my P5 with Sportlines and Tokicko blues i guess i got used to a harsher ride, so im just looking for everyones opinion.

Well, It's all depending on who you are and what you want.

It's their opinion, go buy coil overs..

:)

It is certainly stiff compared to the POS Malibu rental I had while the mount recall was being done. It's not particularly stiff compared to my Lotus, or even my Explorer with Billsteins.

i think the suspension was a bit soft for my taste too, but this is coming off my protege that had teins and tockico,s combined with thicker swaybars and beefier bushings. Since ive lowered the ms3, the ride is stiffer with the shorter spring, but I plan on upgrading to a stiffer strut or possibly even something adjustable

I traded in a 350 for my 3 and I would have to peg them at about the same level for handling... the edge going to the 350. For a FWD it handles pretty well

It's got pretty much the same chassis stiffness and ride that my focus did. Feels the same to me. Rides nice and firm.

Coming off a civic lowered on Koni yellows, beefy sways, & strut bars.
The "stiffness" of the ms3 felt great. Although after a month of owning it, it doesnt feel that stiff anymore.

i dont feel anything wrong with the car...then again my only other cars where 04 mazda3 and a 92 sedan deville

Well, It's all depending on who you are and what you want.

It's their opinion, go buy coil overs..

:)
QFT.

I just love these sort of statements that give an opinion with no point of reference.

Stiff? Maybe. Compared to what? That's the million-dollar question.

Well a stiff exhaust doesn't mean something is wrong ;) Just means it's a "rougher" ride which some people don't like.

I personally don't think the suspension is too stiff at all, it's much softer then my buddies STi and my ex-roommates '02 bugeye.

Thanks guys for all your input. I agree with the bounciness complaint. On undulating roads and off camber corners this car kinda bounces its little heart out, its kinda annoying. With the Tokickos i never had any bounciness, it was always a firm "suck the car back down to the road" feeling. I guess all those reviewers were thinkin this car should be a Caddy.

I just cant believe all the "sport compact" drivers were saying it was stiff. Ive always thought Mazda does pretty good suspension setups. I rode in a friends 2006 MDX and man even with those huge profile tires the ride was amazingly harsh. I was expecting a Toyota Sienna like feeling.

I just cant believe all the "sport compact" drivers were saying it was stiff. Ive always thought Mazda does pretty good suspension setups. I rode in a friends 2006 MDX and man even with those huge profile tires the ride was amazingly harsh. I was expecting a Toyota Sienna like feeling.

You might agree with me that they are putting this in the same class as some very diferent cars.

SRT-4
WRX
EVO
AUDI A4
Even Comparing it to the Stock Mazda 3

So I suppose it's stiffer, if you are a regular consumer. But for us, The people who love our cars so much that we actually talk about them here.. It's not stiff and that is why After market Exists..

****, I'd be dead or Bored without my TEIN-SS and 21mm

Tru dat. Problem is we dont have many options available to us MS3 guys at this time. Im leary of using anything designed fro the regular 3 since we have extra weight up in the front. I guess im just gonna have to steal Rotus's coilovers. SInce theyre adjustable im sure id be able to find a happy medium of bounce and stiffness.

yes i think the suspencion is stiff when you compare it to my other car but i think it stiff enough for daily driving comunicates enough info without telling you there was a hirline crack just there in the pavement. if i ws racing the car no its not stiff enough.

Stiff doesn't necessarily mean uncomfortable in my book. If the car has the proper spring rates and strut damping, the suspension can be stiff, but not punishing. I personally like a stiff suspension, as long as it is not harsh.

So does TEIN not offer a Coilver set yet?

I installed Tein Super Streets on my 2006 Accord and they ruined the car. The rears "knocked" over bumps and the fronts weren't stiff enough for a real performance set-up - even with the dampers dialed maxed out (that model is adjustable). The "knocking" comes from the spring chattering against its perches over high frequency bumps. Aftermarket coilovers with threaded housing (for ride height adjustment) don't have any rubber isolators between the spring and its perches, as do stock vehicles. I could live with some added noise if the return on handling were great enough, but it's not with Teins.

Avoid Teisn; they aren't REAL performance parts. They're primarily a lowering device. They were certainly stiffer than the stock Accord set-up (which was horribly soft), but not as stiff as the STOCK MS3 set-up. They do offer as competition damper for some vehicles, but their street set-ups are just too soft.

My stock MS3 suspension seems just about perfect for the roads here in the Northeast. It's certainly not as stiff as the stock suspension in my '99 Z28 1LE (came with Koni yellows and stifffer springs, bushings and rear bar from the factory), but it's nicely firm. It's still compliant enough to absorb all of the potholes, etc. we get up here, though. I'm not changing a thing on my MS3 suspension, though I am adding more wheel and tire (225/45/18 on 18" X 7.5" with a +52mm offset) soon.

Last edited:
Back