side molding removal

LENNY127

Banned
If someone can school me on how they have removed their side moldings (the rubber/plastic protectors that run alond the middle of your doors), I am considering it but not if it risks warping the door....any help would be appreciated thanks.

On a real hot day, all I did was walk to my car on my lunch break, squat down, grab an end and yank on it. They each came off, tape included, in one long pull. No damage at all.

If hot days arent likely to happen to you, you can use a hair drier to warm it and floss to saw it away, but I suggest just warming it. The floss sawing causes tape pieces to get left behind, which can be a pain.

just pull them off but be prepared for a lot of door dings those were put there for a reason everything on a car isnt just for looks i would much rather have that strip than have to get the doors repainted bc the person next to ya at wallmart open there door and touched urs just a thought.... you will be mad the first dent ya get

just pull them off but be prepared for a lot of door dings those were put there for a reason everything on a car isnt just for looks i would much rather have that strip than have to get the doors repainted bc the person next to ya at wallmart open there door and touched urs just a thought.... you will be mad the first dent ya get

Like many folks have mentioned before, the moldings help depending on the size of the car/truck/SUV door. Having the moldings on is not going to stop door dings...

thats true the molding I believe serve 2 purposes in cars , first to catch other peoples doors when they open (although try to compare every door thats out there and I guarantee that there are plenty that don't line up in a way for the moldings to be effective) and second they are used to give the cars longer and sleeker lines (if you guys notice to the eye a speed3 with no moldings looks "chubbier" from the side than one with them) , it's kinda like using a two tone paint on older cars. I personally will be yanking mine I think tommorrow cuz who can pass on a "fatty"

I removed mine when I bought the car, gives it more of a vip look I think...kindof like the Acura TL..Anyway take a heat gun holding it about 6" away rom door, start from the start of the car and carefully pull moldings off. After they are all off you will have 2 way glue/tape on the doors I used goo be gone on a rag but bug and tar degreaser will also work..It takes a little elbow grease though.. Hope this helps.

I am now "de-molded".. :)

DSC01078.jpg

DSC01074.jpg

DSC01084.jpg

def like the no mouldings dealy. looks like i have another project to take care of. i dont even see any speed3's so the bandwagon around this area is me and only me so far. lol. horray! im special!

Back