Why should I NOT buy a CX7 GT?

Issues:

The only REAL downside for me has been the radio (which I took care of by going aftermarket) and gas mileage, which I knew ahead of time. If you want 30 or more MPG and don't want to fill up with premium gas, don't even look at this car. I'm lucky to get 20-22 on the highway, but 17-18 is really typical. Luckily, I don't have a long commute each day.

Im not being real picky here, but, who expects 30+ MPG out of a car when they go car shopping? the list for 30+ mpg cars is quite small, im sure people considering an SUV (short of a hybrid model or one of those Yaris things) is not even expecting close to 30. i think if u r averging 17-18 mpg in the cx-7, you are on top of the game. ;)

my biggest gripe about the car (non mechanical) is that the back seat is like the land that god forgot. there is just ZERO going on back there, no details, no trim, no cubbys, just nothing, they need to get some action going back there whether it be some nice door handles or what not.

I will say what i now miss greatly from the MAzda is the roll out and quickly removeable cargo cover! that things was great - i never knew how much that thing mattered until i got the RDX with this stupid tether-secured shelf that is just almost always in the way of what i want to do back there and is a pain. and, it rattles and makes noise.

Did you get the Sport FWD version? I did see a 19K version on the lot when I went to look but it was pure stock!

It's FWD and only options were power seat, 6 disc in dash Mp3 changer I think. Plus some stupid dealer stuff like "hand painted pin striping" and "finish protection package." But they didn't have a car on the lot without those "extras". Maybe I got hosed? I love the car and all, but if I could have gotten it for 3 or 4 grand cheaper... I might still feel a little bad. ;)

Im not being real picky here, but, who expects 30+ MPG out of a car when they go car shopping? the list for 30+ mpg cars is quite small, im sure people considering an SUV (short of a hybrid model or one of those Yaris things) is not even expecting close to 30. i think if u r averging 17-18 mpg in the cx-7, you are on top of the game. ;)

Well, my last car got anywhere from 34-36 on the highway. Was a Toyota Matrix. My mom is averaging about 27 with the Mazda 3 Hatchback (around town & highway mixed). Lots of cars do better than the CX-7 when it comes to gas mileage. Even if you want to average 25 mpg (with mixed driving) the CX-7 just isn't going to do it. What it DOES get, is by far, not considered "economical".

But that only matters if it's important to you. Considering how short my daily commute is, it's not a big deal to me at all.

my biggest gripe about the car (non mechanical) is that the back seat is like the land that god forgot. there is just ZERO going on back there, no details, no trim, no cubbys, just nothing, they need to get some action going back there whether it be some nice door handles or what not.

My teenagers are happy enough with it. As long as they are comfortable and have a place for their drinks, we're good ;) -- and I *never* sit back there, so it doesn't matter to me. LOL

I will say what i now miss greatly from the MAzda is the roll out and quickly removeable cargo cover! that things was great - i never knew how much that thing mattered until i got the RDX with this stupid tether-secured shelf that is just almost always in the way of what i want to do back there and is a pain. and, it rattles and makes noise.

Ya know, it's time like this you realize there just isn't the perfect car. My Matrix didn't have a lot of the amenities the CX-7 has, but it sure got great mileage. The RDX is a gorgeous vehicle, but even so you find it's missing the nice rollout cargo cover (agree, I love that thing). The Murano is a plushier ride, but boy is it a dog to drive (not fun at all). There's trade offs with everything.

Yeah I think the radio option does sux. But I am the type of guy like to get the lowest denominator when it comes to factory stuff. Because I end up getting aftermarket. I am just waiting for some gauges to come in, once they do I am putting in my Alpine screen. And yes it does everything + more. I miss my XM and watching DVD... plus now I have a reason to use the reverse camera option for my alpine head unit, since I can't see #$*@ out of the back! Oh can't forget about the NAV, been using my phone + GPS bluetooth unit to navigate.. which totally sux.

Last edited:
Yeah I think the radio option does sux. But I am the type of guy like to get the lowest denominator when it comes to factory stuff. Because I end up getting aftermarket. I am just waiting for some gauges to come in, once they do I am putting in my Alpine screen. And yes it does everything + more. I miss my XM and watching DVD... plus now I have a reason to use the reverse camera option for my alpine head unit, since I can't see #$*@ out of the back! Oh can't forget about the NAV, been using my phone + GPS bluetooth unit to navigate.. which totally sux.

I really struggled with the radio stuff when I bought the car. I was going to go with the absolute bottom base OEM radio but then I wanted other options available only in the tech package (like smart key, sunroof)... it's annoying! I ended up with the tech package and the nav system that you get with it, and ultimately was very unhappy with the radio unfortunately (and have now replaced it - you can see photos in the audio forum here).

Would I go back and change my decision? Probably not. I ended up taking apart the nav radio and using it to make a custom faceplate (LOL) - well, my awesome installer did, not me personally. I also LOVE the smart key system and am so glad I got it, and I enjoy the sunroof. I also haggled my ass off when buying the car, so at least I didn't pay MSRP for the tech package ;)

It's FWD and only options were power seat, 6 disc in dash Mp3 changer I think. Plus some stupid dealer stuff like "hand painted pin striping" and "finish protection package." But they didn't have a car on the lot without those "extras". Maybe I got hosed? I love the car and all, but if I could have gotten it for 3 or 4 grand cheaper... I might still feel a little bad. ;)

Ah yes.... hand painted pinstripping, I assume you got yours at Ingram Park Mazda??? That is listed on like EVERY one of their cars! But they're great at service!!

^Yessir... got it at IPAC. So far they have been great through sales and everything. Got a $100 referral check even for referring my sister in law there after my wife and I bought ours. Was just curious if I got hosed or not? Either way, we are happy with the vehicle and service, but paying 22,000 is alot better than paying 26,000 if you know what I mean. I checked KBB.com and they still say it was worth 27,000 the way we bought it so, guess I can't feel too bad.

Have had it for almost a year

My opinion,
have had it for almost a year and I love it!
but then I am not a picky sh*^.
I love to drive it, love to look at it, don't mind buying premium gas.
I don't care about a mute button, even though I have one, I don't care about the lack of an ipod port, even though I have an ipod. PS) if you want high fidelity, you aren't going to get it from an MP3, CD's are still the way to go for fidelity.
Fun to drive, quick, zippy, great breaking, my CX7 still turns heads, not a lot on the road, still, so it's unique looking. Yeah it's an SUV, but I need that amount of room for the "giggin" that I do.

oh... yeah the interior is cheap for sure, but i just don't care, I take care of it, it will last...

afrost59

My opinion,
have had it for almost a year and I love it!
but then I am not a picky sh*^.
I love to drive it, love to look at it, don't mind buying premium gas.
I don't care about a mute button, even though I have one, I don't care about the lack of an ipod port, even though I have an ipod. PS) if you want high fidelity, you aren't going to get it from an MP3, CD's are still the way to go for fidelity.
Fun to drive, quick, zippy, great breaking, my CX7 still turns heads, not a lot on the road, still, so it's unique looking. Yeah it's an SUV, but I need that amount of room for the "giggin" that I do.

oh... yeah the interior is cheap for sure, but i just don't care, I take care of it, it will last...

afrost59

(hi) Where the hell did you come from? I like your style, man!

BILL, for awhile I thought that was you but turns out to be afrost (Andy) LOL. Like he said, he is happy with the car and nothing bothers him with the issues so why post....

I bought a GT with all the perks except for Sirius (which I think is a waste since my iPod provides me with better playlist). I am happy with what the GT has to offer most especially the HID which is only available for GT. Like everyone else, I love the SmartKey and its autolock feature. The NAVI is just OK. Yeah it is out of date but so far, 98% of my destination were there and it has taken me to where I want to be. The voice recognition is a joke though because either it is dumb or I'm not saying the right thing BUT I rarely use the Voice recognition. Working with mostly women and listening to my GF is enough female voice for me LOL.

I don't think I've even used the voice recognition once since I owned the vehicle... I had it on my previous car as well and it was a novelty for the first few weeks.

(hi) Where the hell did you come from? I like your style, man!
Thanks Bill,
I am a lurker, like reading in this forum. As stated, I love my CX7!!
Life's too short to b**** about an ipod port! Gimme a break! Just drive the damn thing and enjoy it!

Back