knocking noise...HELP

fillyspeed

:
2003.5 mazdaspeed protege
NooB for sure to this forum but have read up on here before.
so i had my brother take my car into work, he works for Ford and i had him connect my manual boost controller. he got everything hooked up right but i guess he wasnt listening when i told him to run 8-9 psi and he had it running 15-17 and he works 40 miles away from my house...by the time i had driven it down the street and turned it down to my desired level it had started to make a knocking noise as if i hadnt changed my oil in forever...i just had my oil changed 500 miles ago...i am very concerned about what to do, i knew not to run that high level of PSI so please dont harass me about being an idiot. i am still under warranty for 9000 more miles....should i replace it to stock and try and see if they will replace anything wrong with it, or am i Totalllly F-cked?

thanx a lot to whoever helps me out

-Ryan

sounds like you have problems man. he could have bent a rod at that psi pretty easily. go back stock as hell and take it in.

yeah i got in it and gave it like 3/4 throttle and i was like WTF! my car just started pulling towarss the shoulder and i knew something was wrong. and i know he was prolly on it the way home. the factory knows about the CAI, my dad knows the head mechanic who works on my car when i take it in so i might have him ask him to help me out, but i doubt it. so you agree go stock as hell, but do you think they will ask why i replaced my vacuum lines and all that with new softer silicon ones?

thats what i was going to tell them, im just gunna say i had Ford replace the lines when i got an oil change since my brother works there and il bring in the maintenance records to prove it...meaning il have him write one up if possible. im actually pretty pissed because i had told him not to run above 9.5 b/c my internals couldnt take it, and it looks like im goin to pay for his stupidity. i mean the car was booosting like insane amounts and it was fun but i knewww not to run that from reading the threads on this website

man, i went through the same thing a couple years back. make sure and i mean make sure its all stock, cai is ok. it took me 2 months just to get them to believe i didnt do anything to the motor. but in time, they replaced it and with a better one. i can run 13psi on the new motor if i wanted to, and ive done it for like 8 months, driving it hard, and no issues. but i rather run around 10 for gas mileage reasons. good luck with everything.

i use to be located in Moorseville NC and Terrill NC, but now i am in San Diego Cali, and yeah i only have MBC and Intake and a new SMIC. no other mods only because i still am under warranty

yeah man im gunna need to do some serious sweet talking cuz i have replaced all the lines for the turbo. the only thing going for me is my dad use to work for mazda and he knows both the lead mechs there. so what is a safe PSI to run at if i get this problem fixed? i mean i wanna run it safe and then if someone pulls on me on the freeway just reach down and turn and go.

it took me 2 months just to get them to believe i didnt do anything to the motor. but in time, they replaced it and with a better one. i can run 13psi on the new motor if i wanted to, and ive done it for like 8 months, driving it hard, and no issues.

So the dealer replaced your motor from the factory, with something better, what did they replace it with, is it a forged motor?
Fillyspeed your in San Diego now, are you on MOCCFORUMS.COM?

yeah man im gunna need to do some serious sweet talking cuz i have replaced all the lines for the turbo. the only thing going for me is my dad use to work for mazda and he knows both the lead mechs there. so what is a safe PSI to run at if i get this problem fixed? i mean i wanna run it safe and then if someone pulls on me on the freeway just reach down and turn and go.

Sorry to say it, but you played with fire and might have got toasted. Perfect example of why dealers are a pain in the ass for warranty work. While I can't speak for all dealers because some are a pain regaurdless. You might have to take one for the team on this one. Oh well, I'm beating a dead horse here. Good luck

Unrelated -- posting multiple threads in different subforums/sections is not the solution to getting your question answered faster. It only makes more work for me and makes me cranky.

yeah im in SD now and lovin it, i missed this place. and i had my dad look and listen and he thinks it might be a blown head gasket...and im going to take the car in on monday and no drive it all weekend and talk to the lead mechanic in person and see whats up and if he can help me out. thanks to everyone who has tried helping me, ill let you all know what happens next week.

yeah im in SD now and lovin it, i missed this place. and i had my dad look and listen and he thinks it might be a blown head gasket...and im going to take the car in on monday and no drive it all weekend and talk to the lead mechanic in person and see whats up and if he can help me out. thanks to everyone who has tried helping me, ill let you all know what happens next week.

That's possible, but chances are your going to need a shortblock new or rebuild yours. Also, if it's the head gasket, don't forget to get at least the head planed/machined so the mating surface is nice and flat. Our heads are aluminum so they do not react well to blown head gaskets.

ok so now the knocking is increased when the fan kicks on...and i have replaced everything to stock and the noise reduced to a small putter, so im guessing that means im screwed. sometimes the noise only comes on when the fan comes on...im really confused now, do you guys think its still as big a problem or BIGGER? im really not the mechanic of the year so i really need some input to see what i should do if the dealer can replace it, so ill let you know what they tell me next week and we will go from there...THANX AGAIN

lol, gets worse when the fan kicks on? sounds to me like you have a non mechanical problem.

lol, gets worse when the fan kicks on? sounds to me like you have a non mechanical problem.

hey man no laughing lol member im no mechanic here, but yeah it knocks a lil bit everyonce in a while, but when that fan kicks in it really picks up and gets louder...i was gettin mcdonalds yesterday and i just heard it bouncing off the drive thru walls and i was like god damn it!! this is lame waiting to see what happens...im getting worried about the warranty not covering it, im almost to the point of considering a trade in but i love my car and the fact that only 500 are made in each color

hey guys, if your having probs with you car DONT give out your local if you have modded it to destruction, i know people on a warrenty review board for an unamed manu, they SEARCH for people like this racing thier cars at the track, talking about modding it and so on, and take thier ass to the holeshot of court, ask the maker of this site, the poncho villa character, he knows how the big guns roll.

hey guys, if your having probs with you car DONT give out your local if you have modded it to destruction, i know people on a warrenty review board for an unamed manu, they SEARCH for people like this racing thier cars at the track, talking about modding it and so on, and take thier ass to the holeshot of court, ask the maker of this site, the poncho villa character, he knows how the big guns roll.

Bastards!

Anyways. The will only void your warranty if they can prove a mod caused the damage. If you come in with only an intake and vacuum lines, they won't be able to say anything. They'll still give you crap, but they can't cancel your warranty. At least that's the way it is here

Back