Tools

TreFlip999

Contributor
Potential Scammer!
:
2003 Yellow Beast
Hey everyone Just curious what kind of tools everyone uses and what works the best and what you prefer...I dont really have any tools at the moment(long story) but im lookin into putting a collection together..any input would be awesome...thanks (headbang)

I've always loved craftsman, and their lifetime guarantees! The Kobalt line, mostly in Lowes stores is good. the best that I have ever used are Snap-On tools, but they are $$$$$.

Someone told me that since K-mart bought Sears a couple years ago, they are soon going to do away with the in-store broken tool replacement (have to mail it in). And they are no longer going to sell individual sockets- gotta buy the whole set. I too am a Craftsman fan, but after hearing this I was a little pissed off. Haven't seen anything official on it yet though so he could have been blowing smoke up my butt.

Someone told me that since K-mart bought Sears a couple years ago, they are soon going to do away with the in-store broken tool replacement (have to mail it in). And they are no longer going to sell individual sockets- gotta buy the whole set. I too am a Craftsman fan, but after hearing this I was a little pissed off. Haven't seen anything official on it yet though so he could have been blowing smoke up my butt.

I highly doubt that. The lifetime warranty is the biggest selling point for buying craftsman tools. They would lose a lot of sales if they change their return policy.

kobalt = snap on i love them, but its hard to get them
craftsman are good
i <3 snap on. on base when i use the craft shop its all snap on ftw

Here are the major tools I use to work on my cars. I can do about any mechanically-related job (except major internal engine/tranny work) with these. All of my mechanics tools/sockets have lifetime warranties. Don't waste your money on sockets/mechanics tools without a lifetime warranty.

Air tools are the best investment I ever made. Second best, would be the $20 I spent on a length of 1-1/2" steel pipe from Home Depot. I cut it into a 1-1/2' and a 4' section to add massive leverage. The 4' section combined with a breaker bar and impact socket is unstoppable.

On to the tools...

- 155-piece Crafstman mechanics set: $150
- Gearwrench 55-piece pass-through mechanics set: $?
- Husky, 17-piece, 1/2" drive, deep impact sockets: $70
- 26 gallon, 150-psi. Craftsman air compressor: $300
- 3/8" air wratchet, 1/2" air impact wrench, air hammer: (included w/ compressor)
- 3/8" torque wrench: $25
- Various breaker bars and pipes lengths for leverage: $50
- Rhino Ramps: $40
- Craftsman jack and jack stands: $60

my friend and i split all the really expensive tools

autozone jack and jackstand (i konw i know, we need to get a real one)
Kobalt impact wrench (shared)
133 piece Crescent mechanics tool set (seems descent for 50 bucks)
kobalt crescent wrenches

i used to have alot more tools, but since the garage fire 2 months ago, they kinda melted lol. luckily insurance is paying for everything. w000t new tools

I second the recommendation for a "cheater" bar as advised by fonzinator. Both lengths are very useful.

Also:
Craftsman Bolt-outs - Trust me, when you need one and don't have it you will wish you did.
Extra set of jack stands
Pry bar
Allen bits
RoboGrip wrenches
Ratcheting Box Ends
Telescoping magnetic pick up tool
A nice worklight - LED is possible
Assorted Screwdrivers and Pliers
C-clamp - I think it is a seven inch?

Just as important as tools are the chemicals that you have on hand:
PB Blaster
MAF cleaner - or non-conductive electrical cleaner
White lithium grease
Ole faithful WD 40
Orange Blast - Degreaser - works great on engine bays with little to no residue
Brake cleaner
Bearing grease - I use it to grease the hinges on the doors

most of my tools are mastercraft from canadian tire, lifetime warranty :D
socket set, combination wrenches, breaker bar, torque wrench, hex keys, air set, engine hoist, jacks and stands, ramps... i have so many tools that im running out of places to put them! 2 huge tool chests full and im sure i could fill another

Good floor jack/stands
Electric impact (Dewalt)
Big breaker bar/socket adapters
Mechanical fingers (for fishing out sparkplugs, dropped stuff, etc)
Drop light

I just get whatever I need from Canadian Tire, as I need them. So far it just consists of sockets of most sizes used on the P5, a ratchet, breaker bar, and a really crappy torque wrench. Oh yeah, and a $30 pair of jackstands that I really should replace with some decent ones.

I have Mac Tools and love them, I bought them from a mechanic (owner) who had a shop that went out of business. He sold me his whole set including the tool boxes for a really good price.

Everyone that has said you get what you pay for is correct, at least when it comes to tools. That being said, if you look in the ads for places like Sears, Home Depot, and Canadian Tire you can often find a pretty massive set of sockets and crescent wrenches and all that for a really good price. Sure, the quality isn't going to be up there with snap on, but depending on what you are doing they can last a long time and cover many different jobs. I'm still using my $30, 80 or 90 piece socket set 12 years on with no problems.

For my 16th birthday, my dad gave me a huge set of Craftsman sockets w/ 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 inch drive sizes in metric and standard, with ratchets and extensions and that was the best, most used present I think I've ever received. I've lost a few, broken a few and have replaced them all at my local Sears to keep the set intact.

A large set of screwdrivers, various nippers, pliers, open / box end wrenches, allen wrenches, torx drivers, cordless drill, 110V drill, and my beloved Dremel compliment my toolbox.

Everyone that has said you get what you pay for is correct, at least when it comes to tools. That being said, if you look in the ads for places like Sears, Home Depot, and Canadian Tire you can often find a pretty massive set of sockets and crescent wrenches and all that for a really good price. Sure, the quality isn't going to be up there with snap on, but depending on what you are doing they can last a long time and cover many different jobs. I'm still using my $30, 80 or 90 piece socket set 12 years on with no problems.

I secound this a cheap set can last you a long time providing your doing crap that you KNOW will require some durable tools. I've been using the same socket set that I purchased for the past 6 years for about the same price range you paid. I've only had to replace one socket... but that one of those situations I was pretty sure I was going to break it! 6ft cheaper pipe on a rusted ass bolt on a friends 4x4 from up north and ti took both of us to get the cheater bar to move!

I cracked that socket but still got the bolt off without a problem. I couldnt use that socket to put a new bolt back in but it didn't matter as we were replaceing both the nut and bolt with a different size.

Anything from Costco is usually good for warranties. That store will take anything back as long as you keep your reciept. My Optima battery flat lined after 2 years and they gave me a full refund. They have a Crescent 130 piece tool set right now for $49.99.

48_1_sbl.JPG

Last edited:
Back