Audio jack issues...

CTGrey02

:
02 Blown Mustang + 07 Speed3
Ok, so if I wasn't pissed enough about the damned car not playing MP3 cd's I go out and spend the money on a 80 gig Ipod (never a fan of apple) so I can put all my CD's on the damned thing. Well, now the audio input only plays on half the car speakers unless you pull it just partially out. I know someone else had this issue before but I can't seem to find the thread. WTF is it with this car's stereo? Anyone else have this problem, and better yet, the solution? I just dropped $350 so I'm not about to drop the extra 200 on a decent adapter until I have more spare cash.

I've had brand new cables with similar issues. It was usually the result of the plastic outer casing preventing the plug from going into the jack completely. A quick trim with a razor blade took care of it.

CTGrey02 said:
(never a fan of apple)

Neither Am I, but I might have to buy an iPod to replace my dying mp3 player. The reason is so that I can change the operating system on the ipod for rockbox. Check them out at http://www.rockbox.org you can boot both the original OS and the rockbox OS when you update and the rockbox will allow you to play all lossless (ie, FLAC,WAV) and lossy formats(mp3,AAC,OGG). It also supports other hardware as well.

Neato.... I have to admit, it's kinda nice having 12000 songs on me at work. I'm hearing stuff I normally never hear.

HAVOC said:
Neither Am I, but I might have to buy an iPod to replace my dying mp3 player. The reason is so that I can change the operating system on the ipod for rockbox. Check them out at http://www.rockbox.org you can boot both the original OS and the rockbox OS when you update and the rockbox will allow you to play all lossless (ie, FLAC,WAV) and lossy formats(mp3,AAC,OGG). It also supports other hardware as well.

Never heard about rockbox before. I just got a Sandisk Sansa (8GB Sansa same price as 4GB Nano, and just a few millimeters bigger, plus FM tuner and micro SD expansion slot) and I love it but there are some minor issues. Might give that a try.

im tested mines out yesterday with a Sansa, it was nice and worked good. ive never been a real big MP3 player fan, but now i hava no choice but to look for one. the apple just looks so much better IMO

im tested mines out yesterday with a Sansa, it was nice and worked good. ive never been a real big MP3 player fan, but now i hava no choice but to look for one. the apple just looks so much better IMO

Just a bit of advice: While the Apple Ipod IS a pretty decent quality device, I don't care for it due to the ITunes software you have to use. What does this mean? Well, very little if you just want to download songs from them or to rip music from a few CDs you own. But if you have an existing MP3 collection, the Ipod's interface makes adding music VERY slow. You're forced to go through the ITunes software, and it "brands" each MP3 you have and then places it in a folder on the IPod after renaming it to something unrecognizable. Most MP3 players just copy the song to the player and that's that. And since most do just that, it's nothing more than a USB2 connection to a removeable media device, which moves files FAR faster.

Just my experience with Apple... Feel free to get one, as there's nothing wrong with their quality and there are about a bajillion accessories made for them. Me? I bought a cheapo player that takes SD cards. I have a 2GB card in there which houses enough music to keep me interested. :)

That's why I got the Sansa. If you NEED sync software, you can use the stuff that comes with it, OR use windows media player. I found that windows media player is very easy to use and syncs to the player in a snap.

Once I found out about all the limitations Apple imposes on its users (and now does with the iPhone too), I took my money elsewhere. In a way, the iPod (and to some extent the Zune) is a victim of its own popularity. The record companies really enforce DRM on the big name players and ignore the ones that aren't so common.

Just a bit of advice: While the Apple Ipod IS a pretty decent quality device, I don't care for it due to the ITunes software you have to use. What does this mean? Well, very little if you just want to download songs from them or to rip music from a few CDs you own. But if you have an existing MP3 collection, the Ipod's interface makes adding music VERY slow. You're forced to go through the ITunes software, and it "brands" each MP3 you have and then places it in a folder on the IPod after renaming it to something unrecognizable.
Robb,
You can tell iTunes where your existing files are, and it will just add them. Just point it to the right directory. It will scan them, and add them to it's database, with your tags and everything. It only renames the files inside the ipod, which you never see anyway. If "let iTunes manage my files" is unchecked it won't move or rename anything on your computer either.

Adding music is really fast. I do it all the time. For example, when Aggro1 releases new tracks, or Bootie puts out their new top ten list, I download the mp3s, then just drag them into itunes. It takes longer to read that sentence than to do it. Then sync you iPod and you're good to go.

Also, you can play non-drm's files on an ipod. Indeed, I don't have a single drm infected file on mine.
All my music comes from CD rips or free downloads.

Finally, Apple is now selling drm free tracks in the iTunes store. They're better quality (bitrate) and cost $0.30 more, thus proving that DRM reduces the value of a product. :)

back on topic...Do you have a 1/8" audio input on your home sound system or some other place you could test the cable you are using? Have you tried just flipping the cable around and putting the end that used to be in the ipod into the aux in? Maybe your cable wasn't made properly or something. Maybe go to pick up another 1/8" cable before throwing a lot more $$ into the problem.

Do you have your ipod hooked up to the power adaptor? I noticed poor quality due to ground loop. You can get a ground loop isolator for under $20 if it sounds better when it is running off its own battery than when plugged in to the ac adaptor.

Back off topic... I have never had any experience with any music being tainted by drm. itunes/marketplace/napster/etc ftl! If you can listen to music on your pc then you can capture it from your audio card. I don't see what all the drm fuss is all about (braindead

I connected my iPod to the factory aux input on my MS3 with a Sik Imp.
http://www.sik.com/imp.php
sik_imp.jpg

I like that better than using the headphone out, though both work. (I don't have to fuss with the volume on the iPod with the real line level output from the Imp.)

I do get a whine when the 12v adapter is plugged in. I need to solve that issue.

Back