Car shakes when breaking on 110+ km/h

Hello,

I started noticing something more and more on my 2005 5 door sedan, GT+GFX Mazda 3. Whenever I break from 110-120+ down to 80 km/h, the steering wheel shakes like mad.

Took the car for service (official Mazda service), and they said the front disks have something (they're unevenly used up or something), that they need to be treated on some machine and that will cost $200. They took $50 for diagnostics already.

My question is, shouldn't this be covered under regular (non-extended) warranty of the car? I got it in August 2005, so its less than 2 years, and has 41000km. Additionally, one set of disks was replaced under warranty, as they were making squeaking noises at around 8000 km, so these damaged disks now have about 30000km of drive. The dealership says that the warranty is gone as I refused a $200 disk cleaning at 16000 km, that was apparently recommended maintenance, which I think is BS, as 1, the disks were changed at less than 16000, and 2, I had the disks cleaned when I did tire rotation at a different place.

Thank you!

Alex_Great said:
Hello,

I started noticing something more and more on my 2005 5 door sedan, GT+GFX Mazda 3. Whenever I break from 110-120+ down to 80 km/h, the steering wheel shakes like mad.

Took the car for service (official Mazda service), and they said the front disks have something (they're unevenly used up or something), that they need to be treated on some machine and that will cost $200. They took $50 for diagnostics already.

My question is, shouldn't this be covered under regular (non-extended) warranty of the car? I got it in August 2005, so its less than 2 years, and has 41000km. Additionally, one set of disks was replaced under warranty, as they were making squeaking noises at around 8000 km, so these damaged disks now have about 30000km of drive. The dealership says that the warranty is gone as I refused a $200 disk cleaning at 16000 km, that was apparently recommended maintenance, which I think is BS, as 1, the disks were changed at less than 16000, and 2, I had the disks cleaned when I did tire rotation at a different place.

Thank you!
No it is normal wear and tear. What you have is warped rotors. Brakes are not really covered in the warranty since they are wear items. It is part of the maintenance. A set of performance rotors and pads will prevent this from happening as well as improve your braking performance. Having the rotors machined is never a good idea and will decrease your braking performance and make the rotors heat up sooner which will lead to cracking and warping again. It is best to just replace them when they get warped. Also make sure the lugs are torqued to equal values as well.

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure I'm not getting robbed by my dealership (again).

As far as performance rotors go, where should I go to get a set? Dealership/online stores/shops in town that sell car stuff? At least, what should I be looking for when I go and ask for parts (brand, model, ...) As you can see I'm not really a mechanic, so, it would be nice to know how much will all of this cost :)

Thanks a lot for the help!

you can buy a new set of aftermarket rotors for about 200 i think through in some nice pads and you have some nice new front brakes.

take a look at vendor section

ken at protegegarage sells brake stuff as well as the tri point team i think they actually have a brake sale going on right now... if you want a link or need further asistance just ask man thats why we're here.

Thanks. A friend just pointed me to this forum..and low and behold someone has the same problem as me.

My 3 is only a year and a few months old and this problem started a month ago. Hopefully I can get the dealership to replace the rotors since the car only has 12K on it. I think I'll throw out the term "lateral runout" and see if that gets a raised eyebrow or two at the dealership next week. :)

Latest posts

Back