Projects with me and my son

BlkWidow

GT28RS+MP5= FUN!!!
Contributor
:
2002.5 Protege5T
Project #1 DONE
Well its that time that me and my oldest son (12)start working on the car together. So i wanted to start a log of what we have done, and then show case it on the fourm with photo. The first 1 is a mounting rack for the E-Man. It came out nice if i say so myself, this is a way for me to break him into working on cars very early(i started on cars at 23). It will also give something to talk about at any car meets we go to with the older guys.(I help make this and i can do that)

Attachments

• DSCN2170.JPG
    DSCN2170.JPG
    506.1 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCN2171.JPG
    DSCN2171.JPG
    354.7 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCN2168.JPG
    DSCN2168.JPG
    479.2 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCN2166.JPG
    DSCN2166.JPG
    576.3 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Project# 2
I have nite-shade my nights before and the finish was not as smooth as i wanted. So I wet-sanded the finish, he is going to clear and buff it out.

Attachments

• DSCN2172.JPG
    DSCN2172.JPG
    549.8 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN2178.JPG
    DSCN2178.JPG
    609.7 KB · Views: 207
seriously, he's a lucky kid....it's becoming less and less common that parents put that kind of effort out there. Can't way to see the progression.

makes me want a little mini me to do things like that. my father never did things like that with me and i want to teach my kids such lessons. im sure your son will remember that day for the rest of his life.

thanks guys, he wants to do more. at this point anything i want to change, add to the car i am going to ask him first. the only problem now is my 6yr old son wants to do things to on the car, so i have to wash the car with my little one. if it keeps going like this i can push for more spending money on the car, because it is a family project. :) (wishful thinking)

Another plus of having kids. My son helps me work on mine. It is funny to go to a meet and he is talking to the guys about their intakes, UDPs, exhausts, and other stuff and actually know what he is talking about. He is six.

Any father that takes an interest in their sons life and makes it a point to spend time and bond with them gets a huge thumbs up from me! Your Son will never forget the time spent with you and will hopefully do the same with his kids someday. Kudos!

Last edited:
thats awesome, i wish i had a son tht age to enjoy the Splendor of the magical little P5

That's good to see! My dad started me early off with cars, via lawnmowers. He used to have a lawnmower repair shop and I'd hang out there with him for hours. I'd pick up little things along the way and ask questions when I could. Even at 24, me and him are still doing stuff together on the cars. Our latest projects include the '76 BMW 530i pickup, and the two '86 Maserati Biturbos.

That's great to see!

I've had my son crawling under cars with me since he was 2.

Since we're sharing father/son moments:
This past spring my son made his first pinewood derby car as a Cub Scout. He did get quite a bit of help from me, but he did a lot of the labor and planning. Unfortunately, my pinewood derby experience was extremely limited, so I wasn't able to give him a lot of speed secrets. But I can come in handy when you want things to look pretty.

Towards the end of the project, I had him wet sand the car. Afterwards he showed it to me and I did a small section then I showed him how to buff the paint. I told him to compare what I had wet-sanded to the rest of the car. He immediately pointed out the orange peel texture on his area compared to the glassiness on the small section I did. Told him he could leave it or go back and wet-sand, he opted the latter.

The car didn't run that well, we didn't run last. . . more like middle of the pack. However, it looked damn good. Although we didn't get "Best of Show", he was extremely pleased when he earned the "Best Paint" award.

(rockon) free child labor!!

hahaha.. just joking.. nice family time. something that just doesn't seem to happen anymore!! sure beats letting him get into the "wrong" hobbies..

Way to get the kid going on cars. I am having a girl in November, and I think I will get her started on cars right when she pops out! lol

So I like your ECU placement idea, I would like to do that when I get an aftermarket ECU someday.

good man, classic past times for myself, seeing as im only 19. I remember being about 5 when me and my dad picked up an old pick up truck, It really does change a person for the better and it starts a hobbie that can be applied their entire life.

props to you sir

Very nice. My daughter, age 14, loves my car. We have much fun driving......safely.

Back