Winter wheels/tires

Hi folks,

I am considering getting a set of winter wheels/tires. One of the options is to get a set of CX-7 wheels, since they've been around for longer and there's a bunch of them for sale on eBay. As far as my research showed, they should fit just fine. Does anyone know otherwise? Also, I understand that they can come with or without TPMS? Any thoughts? TIA

j.p.

just_phil said:
Hi folks,

I am considering getting a set of winter wheels/tires. One of the options is to get a set of CX-7 wheels, since they've been around for longer and there's a bunch of them for sale on eBay. As far as my research showed, they should fit just fine. Does anyone know otherwise? Also, I understand that they can come with or without TPMS? Any thoughts? TIA

j.p.

did you see the guy here selling CX9 wheels?

Considering the same thing...

I'm considering picking up some CX-7 18s to use for winter tires on my CX-9 GT that has 20's too. A few questions...

-Were you able to use the TPMS from the CX-7 rims?
-What kind and size of winter tire did you choose?
-Have any pictures of what the CX-7 18s look like on the CX-9?

Thanks!

-Were you able to use the TPMS from the CX-7 rims?
-What kind and size of winter tire did you choose?
-Have any pictures of what the CX-7 18s look like on the CX-9?

The Mazda TPMS are all the same. However, most people selling Mazda wheels take the TPMS off and transfer them to their new wheels. Retail price on them is about $80 each.

The tires I'm look at are:
-- Dunlop Grandtrek SJ5
-- Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow
-- Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 4x4
-- Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3
all in size P235/65/18

I picked up a set of CX-9 18's from someone that was upgrading. If you watch on ebay, they come up pretty regularly.

I got my TPMS on eBay for a really low price, and since then I haven't seen a signle auction for them. I got Blizzak LM-25 4x4 235/60/18, and mounted them on CX-7 wheels (which I also got on eBay). I haven't put them on the car yet, so I don't know if my TPMS sensor work or not, and can't make any other comments. I usually put my winter tires on around mid-November (I'm in northern NJ).

Here's a follow-up update. The winter tires have been on the car for one full week. We've already put a couple of hundred miles on them, and there are no issues.

The TMPS is working, the switchover went without a hitch. I just followed the owner's manual - turn the ignition on, the turn it off and leave the car off for 15 minutes (I actually left it off for a few hours), then drive for 15 minutes.

A couple of days later I was putting some air in the tires, but the compressor at the service station was off, so I lost some pressure in one of the tires. The light came on, and when I later added air, it went off.

Cheers!

Winter tire update -

Dunlop Grandtrek SJ5 in 235/65-18 on factory 18" wheels.

We just had our first winter storm. Snow, sleet, freezing rain - traffic slowed to a crawl. My CX-9 drove like it was the middle of summer!

Stopped at a red light on a slight uphill. The light turned green and the car in front of my just spun its tires, literally going nowhere. I pulled around and drove off, no spinning tires, no sliding sideways, just like it was on dry pavement.

While I didn't try any emergency maneuvers and certainly didn't drive like an idiot, I obviously have a huge safety margin compared to other vehicles.

I have to say, I'm quite surprised with how well my CX-9 with 20" performed in the snow. I'll be getting snow tires for it, but am not in a rush as its performing well as is (mind you the tires have less than 5000 mi 8000 Km). Getting out of my driveway which was not cleared was no problem...the weight of the vehicle definately helps. But I know with good snow tires it'll be unstoppable. My only question, has any tried 17" snows? How's the ride on those?

I have Blizzaks on 17"s. Not sure what you mean by 'how's the ride'? They work fine. Smaller diameter wheels = more tire sidewall, which means more bump absorbtion, so in that respect they are a little smoother than the stock 20''s?

I too am impressed with these all season sport tires on the 20s. I am a big fan of owning dedicated winter wheels, but in the last few days I have driven through some precipitation (ice/snow/slush) and the car seemed to have decent traction. One thing I am sure of is that these tires will in no way stop on ice as well as a dedicated snow/ice tire, and for that reason I will be buying a winter set, but I think I can wait until next year since these tires are brand new. (famous last words)
Question: if I don't get those TPMS sensors or whatever they are called, will my tire pressure light stay on all winter?

snow tires for my 07 Touring AWD

I was considering snow tires, since I agree the factory tires aren't great in the snow. I've been told by my dealer that since there are no snow tires in the exact size as the factory tires, I'm SOL. Others offered to put on 235/60/18 Blizzaks (factory is 245/60/18), but the dealer said that because Mazdas are "finicky", it might mess with some of the finer electrical points of the car. Any thoughts? I'll admit up front that I don't know much about this area.

You shouldn't have any issues, people have swapped out tire sizes on the CX-9 with no reported problems. I would look into 235/65-18, which are available on Tirerack starting at $133 for the Blizzak winter tires. In this case you are losing about 10 mm of width over OEM, but gaining about 5 mm of sidewall heigth, which can only help in deep snow! (with the 235/60, you'd be losing about 5mm of sidewall heigth, if I'm doing my calculations correctly)

Back