Transmission Oil Flush every 30,000 miles $180

fatlard

I talked to service guy at the dealership. They said I need to do a transmission flush every 30,000 miles at $180 for the service.

I studied the manual and it does not give an interval for transmission oil change. What are your thoughts?

If you are sure it is not in your service manual then it is not necessary. My personal opinion is I will do a PAN DRAIN every 30,000 miles but, NOT a flush. $180 is considerably over priced IMO. If you want to have a flush then I would check with a reputable transmission shop for cost comparison. Ed

fatlard said:
I am surprised no else have a thought on this.
Me to fatlard. As a new Mazda owner I don't find the level of interest or enthusiasm as I've found on other car sites/forums (Saab, Subaru Volvo etc) which surprises me. I was used to enthusiasts who rebuilt engines, did brake caliper rebuilding and stuff like that. O-well, maybe it will come. Ed

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I'm one of the clueless who mostly just reads the real car stuff. Until I got the CX-7, I could have sworn I didn't have the car gene. But I love this car and now am interested in learning more. I still have no technical knowledge or skills, so I've been acting out my obsession by learning how to detail and keep my car looking fierce. I seriously doubt I'll ever re-build an engine, but I may buy a porter cable (or the new UDM) to machine polish. And as noted in another thread, I'm inspired & thinking of buying myself new speakers & installing them.

I guess this is my long way of saying please keep posting & talking about stuff. Others may catch up and join in more later, as you note.

Listen carefully to what the service advisor is saying, mazda would not recommend a flush at such low milleage. Actually I don't think they would even recommend a flush just a service(drain and fill), flush would be out of the service interval and add cost to the maintenance of the car (they keep records for cost). He probably said that the tech is recommending a flush, I used to be the one calling people to tell them this. But I was overly cautious what I said to people as I didn't want to get into trouble (I seemed to have been the only one there with some morals).

UpNorth said:
Hey guys,
I'm one of the clueless who mostly just reads the real car stuff. Until I got the CX-7, I could have sworn I didn't have the car gene. But I love this car and now am interested in learning more. I still have no technical knowledge or skills, so I've been acting out my obsession by learning how to detail and keep my car looking fierce. I seriously doubt I'll ever re-build an engine, but I may buy a porter cable (or the new UDM) to machine polish. And as noted in another thread, I'm inspired & thinking of buying myself new speakers & installing them.

I guess this is my long way of saying please keep posting & talking about stuff. Others may catch up and join in more later, as you note.
Hi UpNorth: One of the good ways to get to know the mechanics of your vehicle is to get a Workshop manual. Unfortunately CX 7 factory manual is $140 and Haynes does not have a CX 7 $ 12 manual out yet. I think a different Haynes manual for the latest model Mazda will give you a good start as manufactures often use a similar designed part for many models. Ed

Thanks for all the replies. I guess we will have to wait till the mileage gets higher on these cars and for them to start hitting the maintanece intervals to get more conversation regarding this topic.

I am surprised that the service guy said 30k but the manual does not mention it at all. I know some cars have sealed transmission boxes... I wonder if this is the case with the CX-7.

I do not want to pay for a service that is not necessary.

Last edited:
my dealer said it would be $95. Make sure you use the 3309 rated fluid. Even a small amount, like a cup, of the wrong stuff can ruin the trans.

erhayes said:
Me to fatlard. As a new Mazda owner I don't find the level of interest or enthusiasm as I've found on other car sites/forums (Saab, Subaru Volvo etc) which surprises me. I was used to enthusiasts who rebuilt engines, did brake caliper rebuilding and stuff like that. O-well, maybe it will come. Ed

Check the Mazdaspeed 3 and Mazdaspeed 6 forums and you'll find the enthusiasm you are looking for.

There just aren't as many people interested in modding a CUV. I think the only reason that there is as much as there is is because it has the same engine as those speed vehicles. If the CX-7 had it's own engine I'm betting you wouldn't find a cold air intake or the like.

erhayes said:
Hi UpNorth: One of the good ways to get to know the mechanics of your vehicle is to get a Workshop manual. Unfortunately CX 7 factory manual is $140 and Haynes does not have a CX 7 $ 12 manual out yet. I think a different Haynes manual for the latest model Mazda will give you a good start as manufactures often use a similar designed part for many models. Ed

Thanks for the good suggestion, Ed. I wasn't familiar with Haynes manuals and sure can't argue with a $12 tutuorial. I'm sure to learn something.

Back