msp motor swap?

EconOmikS

:
LaserBlueProtege
i have a 03 es protege automatic. would it be possible to drop in an msp motor if i have the msp ecu? if it is possible what else would i need to complete this. i wanna keep the auto trans because i have to drive through city traffic at least once a day.

The MSP ECU will NOT work with automatics as there were never any automatic MSP's. you would need some other type of management and i highly recommend going manual tranny unless you want to re-work the entire auto tranny so that it does not break in a heartbeat. if you go manual tranny , the swap is easy. and the msp ecu works with manual swap. . whole thing would be like plug and play..sort of..

there is no need to swap the whole engine. the engine is the same as the one in all other 2.0 proteges.

if you want to keep the autotragic transmission, get the msp kit, run a fuel pressure regulator and a voltage clamp on the o2 sensor, set the boost at 6psi and call it a day. enjoy 40 more whp and one less pedal.

yeah same engine...just turbo it...why spend all that money and time to swap the same engine for one with a turbo when you can just put a turbo on the engine you have...

thanks for all the info. reason why i was asking was because there was an msp engine with ecu for SUPER cheap.

new question: what other parts would i need if i had the manual trans too (like pedals and what not)?

you mean a conversion? cause if you do that, you will need to get a complete clutch kit, clutch slave and master cylinders, lines, possibly a mount or two, i think that the axles are the same, the tranny itself, brake and clutch pedals, and a lot more patience than i have.

hmm thats what i was thinking. i actually need to find out exactly he still has from the car. if he has everything how hard would it be to complete the conversion?

If you have a donor car for all the parts, it would just be a matter of switching everything over. I would go for it. 5 spd ftw

thanks for the input everyone. right now i'm still debating whether or not i should do this because i really can't afford to have my car down for more than a couple days.

Back