Power Steering fluid and Brake Fluid

misbehave

At what milage should I change the power sterring fluid and the brake fluid?

I was in the $tealership today cause I had an check engine light come on and turned out it was another SO sensor problem (just had another OS sensor replaced earlier this year). Cost me $400 for the inspection, then parts and labor for that thing.
The staff there then kept pushing me to do the $600 60K service, which include a lot of stuff that I can do myself (rotation, spark plugs, motor oil, air filter, oil filter..).
They said all my fluids are in bad condition, which I am not so sure are they being honest or not. I have my own aftermarket auto-transmission cooler installed so my ATF fluid shouldn't be due so early. I did the transmission and radiator flush at 30K.
So is it really time to change the pwoer steering fluid and brake fluid.

yes, age breaks that s*** down, plus brake fluid absorbs moisture... you NEED to replace the timing belt also as you driving in severe conditions

Maybe at 100K miles to be 'sure' but - it is not part of the scheduled maintenance. I think they are BSing and you should find a better mechanic.

P-Funk! said:
Maybe at 100K miles to be 'sure' but - it is not part of the scheduled maintenance. I think they are BSing and you should find a better mechanic.

That's what I have been thinking too.
Cause I own a couple other vehicles before but never of them ever need to have all those fluid replaced so early and they have been running great.
I guess I will do everything all at once at 100K. Water pump, timing belt, radiator flush, transmission, brake......

The Timing Belt has to be changed at 60,000 Mi.

The PS can be drained from the bottom of the container and filled but that will not replace it, you have to flush out the rack.

The brakes can be easily bled with a buddy who knows how.

TheMAN said:
yes, age breaks that s*** down, plus brake fluid absorbs moisture... you NEED to replace the timing belt also as you driving in severe conditions

Seattle is severe driving conditions? Please tell me why. I thought severe driving conditions were hot and dusty areas. Lots of driving on gravel roads. My manual recommends changing the timing belt at 105K miles.

Action Jackson said:
or with one person if you own those beautiful Speedbleeders eh Brian? (headbang)

They are DA BOMB.

Do you have the part number for the one that would go on the clutch?

Brian MP5T said:
They are DA BOMB.

Do you have the part number for the one that would go on the clutch?

They are exactly the same size as the brakes SB7100 (M7x1.0).

I ordered the Stainless ones (SB7100 S) b/c of stories like this one :

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123637848

Funny thing is the supplied caps are crap, but the OEM ones fit great.

It's been a few years and so far the SS versions have been trouble free for me.

Severe Driving conditions are any kind of repeated extended hot drive, lots of stop and go traffic, and lots of short trips (trips under 10miles one way). pretty much...city driving.
and seriously...change the timing belt.

Back