Trailer light wiring

I removed the 2 inside panels at the rear of the car. This gave me access to the wiring going to the rear taillights. I used the circuit tester I got with the wiring kit to figure out which wire is for brakes, tail and blinker. I tapped into these and put the module to the left of the subwoofer against the rear of the car.(This is directly under the left rear taillight inside the car if you don't have the subwoofer.)

I just had the wiring installed by a local muffler shop. The wiring seems to be what is described in this thread, but am not real happy with the finished product. They wire harness sits in the storage area behind the 3rd row seats. If the plug is needed it "hangs" out of the back of the vehicle and when not needed gets tucked back in the storage area inside the vehicle. Seem odd? I am not sure how much I will use it. Plan on pulling some atv's locally. Muffler shop said this way it keeps from corroding.

It seems everyone tapped into the same power source near the bose sub in the back. How or where was the wire routed from there to get outside the CX9 to have an exterior mount for the plug?

when you tap the wire to you tail light, you will have to remove the tail light, just unplug the whole tail light, that hole goes all the way to the bumper, so use a metal hanger or fish pole and pull the wire from the bottom up to the tail light, i have my unit hanging behind the bumper, it's easier to do it that way, the only difficult part it get the power wire from the battery to the back

Okay, I have to do this as well. My trailer shop just installed the wiring into the trunk, and I don't like it at all. I will have to run the wire myself to the Hidden Hitch assembly. I have the bracket and the rubber cover on order from etrailer (part no. 18144 and, 20112), but I do not know where to go through the trunk to the bottom on the hitch. SportOwner, you say "right above the plug up", could you clear that up, and microlost to say through the tail light. Could you be clearer. If you have any pictures, please post.

It would be greatly appreciated.

SportOwner, you rock. Thanks. I am assuming that the hole you showed in your pictures exits somewhere in the bumper and above the exterior hook up. I will be working on it this weekend and report back to everyone. Thanks again.

Finally installed the trailer light wiring kit I got from Etrailer.com
Took me about 2 hours. Most of the time was spent running the main power wire from the battery to the rear of the car.

Lights are working perfectly.

Slink, I got the same kit from etrailer. Can you tell me how you ran power from the battery to the rear of the car? Did you go outside, or through the trim? Any advice?

Or does someone know of another place I can tap into that is closer to the back of the car? I was thinking that the OEM trailer accessory probably plugs in the back somewhere.

Dumb Question

Since I'm leary of just prying at things when taking my CX-9 apart SportOwner..do you have a recomendation on how the smaller compartment pops out of the rear. I got the large compartment out and now I have the smaller area where the subwoofer is located. Does that easily pop out or is there a fastener that I need to remove first or take caution around? I just hate pulling at things until they come apart without knowing how they were assembled in the first place....murphy's law always applies to me and it would be my luck that I snap the whole container in half or something...

Thanks in advance...

Todd

Finished the install

Well turns out those pieces in the back do just 'pop' out. After taking all the cargo hooks and rings out of the side you just peel the side away to access the taillight connections. No need to remove the tail light. Took me a couple hours to complete as I had a hard time running the power wire. I wanted to run it inside the car so I was fighting feeding the wire thru the dash panel. The large grommet where all the other wires are located seemed pretty tight and didn't want to let anything else pass. On the top side looks like another opening perfect for this wire. So I took an exacto thru the engine bay and opened up the hole (after removing the battery). It was just the size and a fed thru perfectly. Ran the power wire. Started the connections for the T-Harness and the only other issue I ran into was my decision on where to put the black box. My first choice was wrong because I mounted it too high on the side wall which didn't leave enough wire to run the passenger side harness. I had to pull the box off and re-mount it lower so that I would have enough wire. Once that was done and I drilled my hole for the ground the lights worked good (according to the little test cap I have). I ran the connection thru the bumper as sportowner described and it looks like a clean install. I plan to pull my trailer with my quad on it tonight. Hopefully everything goes well. Thanks again for all the help. This site has been great!

Trailer Hitch Question

I just recently purchase 2010 GT CX-9 AWD. Correct me if I am wrong, but that comes with the Towing Prep Package. I want to add a trailer hitch, mostly to haul bicycles around, but would also be nice to pull a trailer if need be. I am looking at getting one of the hitches on Etrailer.com, and wanted to see if I still need to go through the process of running all the wiring from the engine bay for power or is that already installed in the Towing Prep Package.

Thanks

Mazda installation instructions

If you e-mail mazdaparts.org or mazdagear.com they will send you a .pdf of the installation instructions for the Mazda wiring harness (it can be purchased separately for ~$80). I have a copy, it requires removal of the rear storage compartment, subwoofer, cargo tie downs, and rear sill threshold plate. The vehicle harness connector is located along the passenger-side sill next to the jack. I'm not sure if you can see it without moving the threshold plate.

If you e-mail mazdaparts.org or mazdagear.com they will send you a .pdf of the installation instructions for the Mazda wiring harness (it can be purchased separately for ~$80). I have a copy, it requires removal of the rear storage compartment, subwoofer, cargo tie downs, and rear sill threshold plate. The vehicle harness connector is located along the passenger-side sill next to the jack. I'm not sure if you can see it without moving the threshold plate.

Thanks. I'll send them an e-mail.

CX9 SportOwner, which hitch do you have? It looks like it sits higher than any of the aftermarket hitches that I've seen (Hidden Hitch, Draw Tite, Curtis). Thanks for the wiring info.

Back