Trailer light wiring

slink

:
2007 Mazda CX-9
I did not get the towing package on my CX-9. Has anybody found a trailer wiring kit for the CX-9?

Thanks

Trailer hitch?

Have you located a trailer hitch that you want to use?

slink said:
I did not get the towing package on my CX-9. Has anybody found a trailer wiring kit for the CX-9?

Thanks

Yes, I have installed a Draw-Tite Receiver Hitch. Very simple to install, just 6 bolts. Got it from e-trailer.com.

I have found universal wiring kits but am leary of installing them and messing up the vehicle's computer. I called my local Mazda dealer to inquire if the had a factory wiring harness that just plugs in. Mazda does not make one. If you get a CX-9 with the towing package, the wiring is hard wired in according to the parts guy at this Mazda dealer.

Slink,

Did you ever figure out how to add the wiring?

Can you post a picture of the hitch on your CX-9.
I'm curious to what the clearance is with the rear bumper.

Thanks!

slink said:
Yes, I have installed a Draw-Tite Receiver Hitch. Very simple to install, just 6 bolts. Got it from e-trailer.com.

I have found universal wiring kits but am leary of installing them and messing up the vehicle's computer. I called my local Mazda dealer to inquire if the had a factory wiring harness that just plugs in. Mazda does not make one. If you get a CX-9 with the towing package, the wiring is hard wired in according to the parts guy at this Mazda dealer.

slink - I'd be very interested to see what your Draw-Tite hitch looks like too. I want a 2" receiver so I can use the 2" bike rack I already have.

Anyone else install an aftermarket hitch?

I ordered the 2" receiver Hidden Hitch from www.etrailer.com

It should arrive in a couple days. I'll post after I finish the install. I'm not adding the trailer light wiring at this time since I really only use it for my hitch-mounted bike rack.

For trailer wiring, I am going to use an universal kit that has the main power supply coming straight from the battery. I haven't had time to hook it up yet.

I installed the 2" receiver Hidden Hitch a couple days ago. It's a pretty easy install - just 6 bolts. I've attached a couple pictures. Looks just fine to me...

Attachments

• CX-9 Hitch 1.jpg
    CX-9 Hitch 1.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,155
  • CX-9 Hitch 2.jpg
    CX-9 Hitch 2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,104
Has anyone tried to install the wiring harness for towing? Was it easy and is there anything that needs to be done on the computer? I called Mazda parts on the 0000-8E-M04 part number and all he could tell me was the price of $171. Could not even tell me what it was for.

I am considering this route only because I like the 2" receiver from DrawTite

Has anyone tried to install the wiring harness for towing? Was it easy and is there anything that needs to be done on the computer? I called Mazda parts on the 0000-8E-M04 part number and all he could tell me was the price of $171. Could not even tell me what it was for.

I am considering this route only because I like the 2" receiver from DrawTite

See the CX-7 instructions -

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/instructions/cx7/Trailer_Hitch_Jumper_Harness_(CX7).pdf

Has anyone hooked up a wiring kit yet? If so which one did you use and can you provide instructions on the installation? Thanks.

All Canadian models come with the tow package from Japan. We just need to add the Mazda hitch (Class 2 $377) and the Mazda wiring harness ($28) plus install.

The dealer is wiling to install the hitch/wiring harness only as long as it is done when we purchase the vehicle.

All Canadian models come with the tow package from Japan. We just need to add the Mazda hitch (Class 2 $377) and the Mazda wiring harness ($28) plus install.

Actually, this is how the '09 GT will be packageed in North America. Tow prep package is standard, only thing left to purchase and install is the hitch and the harness. However, '09 Sport and Touring models require ordering the entire tow package (i.e. no standard tow prep).

I just ordered an aftermarket kit from ETrailer.com. I will keep you posted on how easy the installation is and how well it works.

I am heading to Ouray,Co. next month and plan on towing a small utility trailer.

Finally installed the trailer light wiring kit I got from Etrailer.com
Took me about 2 hours. Most of the time was spent running the main power wire from the battery to the rear of the car.

Lights are working perfectly.

Back