P2187

tsunami

Contributor
:
mazda3 5 door
Hey guys

looking for some help i am assuming this code is being tossed off of the first 02 sensor. (btw this code is engine to lean at idle) so i took some readings with my scan tool (tekmate) and the first 02 sensor was giving me readings around .850 or so. can some one else take some readings off of the first 02 sensor and tell me what they are seeing for voltage.

if anyone else has any ideas let me know but i figured i would start here.

thanks

btw mods list for reference
simota sri V1
thunder header
vibrant hi flow cat
draxas exhaust

i had just put my exhaust on and had removed the thunder header midpipe to cut back the 02 sensor bypass tube due to a low heat reading thinking i just needed to be closer to the stream. also i removed and cleaned my intake filter and installed the hiflow and exhaust as well as added a container of injecter cleaner on my last fill up... was wondering if it was to much at once for the ecu to take or am i messed up.

lol. sorry i dont mean to laugh at you. wait yes i do. lol
just kidding bro. i dont have a scan tool so i cant help you there.

can you try putting the thunder header midpipe back on?

the midpipe is back on it just has a modified 02 sensor fix... but i don't think thats causing my lean at idle condition... its just the 02 that verifies my non existant primary cat is working.

has anyone else had CEL issues with that high flow? I dont know about the 3, but my friends bought a not so good high flow cat for his jetta and it leaned out his mixture way too much

edit-- his did not throw a code, saw readings on the wideband

that wasn't a rhetorical question i wouldn't think it did buy i am not as versed in flow dynamics/02 sensor bitchyness that others may be in...

so ummm yeah anyone want to take some readings and see what they are getting for the first 02 sensor voltage at idle??

tsunami said:
can a high flow cat really have an affect on the 02 sensor upstream from it?

yeah i guess thats a good point, but my thought was that the high flow cat would just open up the flow of the whole system (less back pressure). I also am not an engineer, just thinking out loud...

i ran it catless for a 3 weeks or so with no issues... besides the fact that it was ******* loud... then i had a friend weld in the converter to my test pipe as well as shorten the mounting point for the second 02 sensor and cleaned my air filter.... mmmm wondering if i didn't tighten down my maf or got it dirty?? would think it would come up as too rich not lean but its worth a shot????

got good news and bad news... good news first cuase there really isn't a lot of it

pretty sure i figured out how i was running lean... found a tear in the 45* rubber piece that connects my intake to my tb... i figure it was letting air in after the maf sensor which would therefore make a lean mixture (not enough gas) so that makes sense... (i hope)

and now to the bad news

called every auto parts place in town and no one had a rubber/silicone 45* with a 2.75" id. closest thing i could get was 2.25... no way in hell going to reach... so at the same time i was doing this i was changing my oil and had bought the spin on filter conversion kit... went to put it on and after i removed the old pita i go to put the new filter housing on and it doesn't look quite right... mmm wtf is goin on here... after some further investigation it appears even though the box has the right part # on it i got sent the housing for a cx7 or other mazda that has an oil cooler on it cause if i were to put it on all my oil would squirt all over the ******* place... and the kicker.. i was topping off all my fluids and changing my oil cause i am supposed to be going to new york to visit a friend now my car is in pieces!!! ******* sucks ass!!!!!!!

ouch dude. that blows.
you are gonna have to take the corolla to new york... yay!

haha well keep me updated. doubt i can help you from here but good luck man. hope you get it back on the road.

changed back to the old style filter and finished my oil change talked to jason at onlinemazdaparts.com and he was very apologetic about the wrong part and was going to send a replacement right away with a return slip for the bad part....

i epoxied the gash in my intake coupling as no one here in the middle of nowhere has a replacement in the size i need hopefully i can pick on up on my vacation or this will hold as i haven't had enough of a chance to see if the lean at idle cel will pop back on again... ??

you may have to reprogam your PCM for the higher amounts of air going into the system. more air means more fuel. the o2s are trying to comp for the more fuel youre throwing into the system. so much that its setting a code. looks like a trip to the dealer.
tsunami said:
can a high flow cat really have an affect on the 02 sensor upstream from it?

im running lean not rich so i don't have enough fuel there is to much air in the system (right? cause its late and i have spent over 10 hours driving today (braindead) the cel came back on part way to kent ct so tomorrow i will pull the code and see what it was... wondering if there is another leak somewhere on my intake?

Last edited:
Back