Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bike rack for 03 Protege5?

2002 Protege 5

bump for anwsers

......................... i12drivemyMP5's Avatar
    Donated: $5

323F

How much do you care about the bikes?

2002 Protege5

I think it will scratch the car too. It's not "supposed to" but it will. I had a trunk rack for a sedan. Scratched the hell out of the trunk

323F

Quote Originally Posted by BKJT05 View Post
    bump for anwsers
    This is what you seek...... http://bikesourceonline.com/itemdeta...ogId=1&id=3804 Highly adjustable for any hatch or trunk. Big soft rubber feet. No scratchy. 1 foot on back glass, other 2 on your scuff guard on top of the bumper. You can find it cheaper than these guys have it. I paid 80.00 for mine.

2002 Protege 5

um i dont care about the bikes that much, just walmart cheapy's, but my car i car way too much about, its all about the price for me, i dont wanna spend alot because its not going to get used alot. you think if i wrap a towl or something over any part touching the car id be ok, its not a long trip.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

323F

Not sure what rack your talking about but I'm sure you could protect the car from it, especially for short infrequent trips. Just have to make sure it's on there good, wouldn't want it bouncing along behind the car hanging on by a strap beating the shit out of the back of the car. Like you said, f the cheap ass bikes-don't mess with the car. The more you have to deal with that the less you can justify the hassle & you'll want something you can trust for longer trips and/or better bikes.

2002 Protege 5

yea, i just dont want to spend alot because its only going to get used for this 3 day trip, then will sit in the garage until next summer or get sold on ebay. Im sure i can use something to protect my car and make sure it on good so it doesnt bounce, or better yet, ill get my gf to take her car (96 mercury sable) and then i wont worry about my car.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

323F

IMO the rack you're talking about might work out better on hers seeing as how it has trunk instead of hatch. Good luck, have fun, get all muddy, enjoy the scenery & as always, ride more.

Registered Member

Protege 5 2002

Hi there - PLEASE PLEASE tell me what brand this rack is, and any other information you have on it. If possible please reply off-list at jwalshaw@gmail.com. Desperate to find a rack that works over my spoiler... hitches are just way too expensive!

323F

Cool! 11 yr bump FTMFW!..............saris bones 2 bike is what is use over the spoiler on the hatch. I add a piece of foam where the strap goes over the edge of the spoiler and have had no issues. Usually just have 1 bike back there but have hauled 2. As long as they aren't both 50lb bikes, it's not an issue.

As you can see the arc is adjustable to fit most anything. Both legs and the arm are adjustable. I even had the midwing shopping cart spoiler at one time and this rack even cleared that.........

Registered Member

2003 protege5

Haha first post, bike enthusiast here.
    I run a saris hitch mount double tray rack on the protege, also a homemade roof basket with two more mounts. I use a 5 bike recon rack for shuttle duty on the 4runner.

06 Mazda 3 Hatchback GT

Redding? Now I am going to be looking for a P5 with a hitch rack. I thought I had (key word...had...car was wrecked) the only one with a hitch rack. I had a Kuat Transfer. Now it's on my 3.

Registered Member

2003 protege5

If you have been around Redding, Im sure you have seen it. It was yellow until last year with gunmetal wheels. Like thr other three that were aroundtown. Last april I painted it white with gold wheels and a fs-ze swap...with a bike rack.

06 Mazda 3 Hatchback GT

Strange, I normally see them just because it is a rare car to pop up. Plus a white one I would notice because my car was white. I just see a lot of clean stock red ones.

323F

I have an uninstalled hitch rack for P5 I would be willing to part with if anyone is interested. Just not gonna install it. I have a truck and SUV to haul bikes with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12