Bike rack for 03 Protege5?

Trunk mounts don't work well on the Protege5. the rear spoiler doesn't allow for a good place to mount the top straps. Go for a roof mount.

I got a set of Yakima king cobras with universal mounts, and they fit perfectly on the roof racks. Only thing is that you can't open the hatch all the way because the spoiler gets in the way. Unless you mount the racks backwards, then all is good.

These are pretty stable, the bikes shake a bit cuz the only support is through the front wheel. The one that holds onto the frame of the bike seems a bit more stable, but the ones where you take off the front wheel seem the most secure. I've never had a problem with these though.

DSCN3045Small.jpg

DSCN3046Small.jpg

Last edited:
xelderx said:
Trunk mounts don't work well on the Protege5. the rear spoiler doesn't allow for a good place to mount the top straps. Go for a roof mount.

Huh?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 2,391
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 2,041
^^^^^Exactly. I use a Saris Bones that stands on the back bumper on the scuff guard thing & straps to the door like that. Also have Xport front wheel off 2 bike rack that mounts to the factory racks up top.

GNsPR5 said:

That just doesn't look very stable to me. If that bottom support bar slipped down a little bit it would put a lot of weight on the spoiler. If the bottom support bar went down to the bumper then I can see it working properly but then you make it difficult to open the hatch. The stock roof rack is very good and it's not much more expensive to get attachments for it. Then you have easier access to the hatch and you don't have to remove the rack all the time to keep people from running off with it.

I've only had experience with the Thule Velo-Vise...Which worked very easy..You have to remove the front tire, but I always thought it was much more stable and better for the bike to be locked by the front forks instead of the wheel only....You have to put an adaptor bar on the front, but that's it...Was about $165 buck for one rack and the bar adaptor...$115 more for another one.

i'm looking at getting a bike rack soon, as well. i'm looking at the rocky mounts noose. it seems to be the best for our cars and for the budget.

ProtoType5 said:
I've only had experience with the Thule Velo-Vise...Which worked very easy..You have to remove the front tire, but I always thought it was much more stable and better for the bike to be locked by the front forks instead of the wheel only....You have to put an adaptor bar on the front, but that's it...Was about $165 buck for one rack and the bar adaptor...$115 more for another one.

this is exactly what I have.. it works great and was very cost effective!

Rosshole said:
this is exactly what I have.. it works great and was very cost effective!

i just bought a set up of this from a guy off ebay for 115. whole thing for 2 bikes. hopefully it works out well.

Rack on back for muddy bikes or if other stuff on top. Rack on factory racks up top if bikes not too dirty. Long road trip = better gas mileage with them on back behind the car.

I need a cheap rack

Hey everybody, my gf and i will be going on a camping trip in august thats only about 1.5 hour drive away and we want to take our bikes, i dont have a bike rack for my pro5 and i dont want to spend alot at all to get one? will a walmart Bell hatchback bike rack work for our small trip? it says fits hatch's and its only $30. please help....thx

I think it will scratch the car too. It's not "supposed to" but it will. I had a trunk rack for a sedan. Scratched the hell out of the trunk :(

um i dont care about the bikes that much, just walmart cheapy's, but my car i car way too much about, its all about the price for me, i dont wanna spend alot because its not going to get used alot. you think if i wrap a towl or something over any part touching the car id be ok, its not a long trip.

Back